This was one of those, “heeeey, what is this??? Let me try!.. oh waiit. you don’t have stock?” teas.. if that made any sense. I’m always a sucker for new things so when I saw this, with macadamia nuts (which I love). It was a purchase decision. Clearly though, I think when they put up this tea, it sold out way too fast and vanished from shelves for a good few months. I remember on the Davidstea fb fanpage there was one fellow who asked every week if they would restock it…

Eventually though, i forgot about it.. until now. Got 25g to try it out, also seeing that davids noticed the interest and demand for the product and raised the price from like $6.75 to.. $9.. wonderful.

The leaves remind me of grape leaves just more smaller pieces, taste is nutty and vegetal though not at all unpleasant, brew was fairly dark, it was enjoyable – innocent. Pretty easy to drink this one though it doesn’t come across as something memorable. I read somewhere that mulberry tea contains some extract that inhibits the absorption of carbohydrates? Oh noo. (well good for women looking to lose weight perhaps). I need caffeine.. and you take away my carbs that give me engery? nooo.

In all cases, nothing bad about this tea but probably not something I would really crave for constantly. It does come slightly pricey as you have to use more leaf than a standard black per brew.

Stopped drinking water, switched to tea. =)
(ok, this is a lie but still :) )

How I rate teas is pretty simple, different teas have different expectations based on quality and price. I’ll rate a tea based on how good it is for its category/price point. I think i rate pretty fairly, I’m not afraid to give a bad score to a bad tea, and it’s relatively hard to get perfect score (partially because i believe there are only so many that can attain such a title)

I like oolong/green teas the most
black, white, tisanes to a lesser part.

I re-steep EVERYTHING, as that’s how I’ve learned from my parents. Blacks teas normally to a max of two times.

I like it when the tea actually looks of quality (eg. whole unbruised leaves). I hate it when i get a tea, and half of it is cut up stems of the plant… give me leaves!

I drink all my teas black and occasionally with sweetener. I do drink coffee too, and love espressos and cappuccinos. Yup, I do my coffee black too. Guess, it is to say I like strong flavours.
My current way of steeping tea, is my french press which i just got a month ago. I love it (well maybe not my cheapy one; looking to get a bodum one day). I used to just dump leaves at the bottom of my cup..

Ok. Rating meanings…

0-49: Various degrees of suck. Either terrible value or just not good.
50-59: It’s drinkable. I’ll finish my cup.
60-69: Not bad… but not good.
70-79: okay to drink, nothing too special, will not be a re-buy.
80-89: Enjoyable cups.
90-99: Worth holding on to.
100: Um.. I’ll tell you when I get here.

About me?

University student, photographer, bartender..

Montreal