drank Bai Mu Dan by Samovar

I’ll be honest, I’m normally a darker tea kind of guy… I like deep, complex flavours, and as I’ve recently discovered I’m not a fan of added novelty flavours like caramel or coffee because they don’t taste like what I expect…

That said, this is a very light tea. A very, very light tea. However, somehow it manages to be on the right side of the “tastes like water” fence. It has just enough going for it to give it a unique, calming tea with almost some sort of buttery finale.

I had some sort of food poisoning last night so my body was recovering from a long battle (that it lost). I wanted to treat it to some sort of soft, calming tea.

I believe I chose the right one for the job.

Gingko (manager of Life in Teacup)

I am not a believer that white tea should be brewed with lower temperature, even though many vendors instruct so. I am a believer of using hottest boiling water for white tea. May or may not work for you :D

takgoti

Many people on here have said that bai mu dans are good for migraines, though I cannot confirm that. Sorry to hear about the food poisoning. Never fun.

Ricky

I think the instructions said 195F which I was actually really surprised with, but it turned out great.

Ricky

Oh wait! That was for the White Rose Bai Mu Dan. I don’t know if the same applies to the plain one, but I don’t see why it wouldn’t.

teaplz

I loooove this one. Seriously at the top of my list. The flavors are just so delicious!

takgoti

@Ricky The plain one says to brew at 160-165. Their latest method for brewing Downy Sprout [which is phenomenal, by the way] involves using boiling water, but that’s also at a really short steep time. I think that hotter water may affect caffeine content in the tea, as well.

Raffi

Actually the temperature I put up was an estimate of what I was hoping I steeped the leaves at. At work we just have a water boiler kettle, but it doesn’t have a thermometer or anything so I have to guess based on time and how much steam is coming off if the temp is right. In any case, I may not even have waited long enough to bring the temp down to 180. =S

@takgoti, thanks for the tip. I’ll be sure to suggest this tea next time someone in the house gets a migraine.

Comments

Gingko (manager of Life in Teacup)

teaplz