Sipdown! This is my last tea of the day (or first depending on how you look at it, since it’s after midnight)…

I’ve been holding onto this last tea bag for months now, waiting for the perfect time to drink it and I just now decided that I’m not going to have a perfect time, so I might as well drink it now and make room for more new teas! This is one of the few different kinds of ba teas that I did actually drink on occasion before I was introduced to this glorious world of loose leaf. My taste preferences have changed pretty significantly since I started drinking loose leaf and it’s been quite a while since I had this one that I’m wondering if I’ll even like it at all!

Since trying loose leaf I’ve learned that I’m really not a green tea girl, and yet this tea is a green tea base and it’s one of few teas I actually liked growing up (and that I consistently drank growing up). It’s also mint though, and mint is still one of my staple flavours and one I don’t seem to get tired of.

The tea in the bag smells like wintergreen gum, to me even though there isn’t actually wintergreen in the blend. Very strong mint smell, not really any green tea smell. I know from past experience that it doesn’t taste quite as minty as it smells, but I’m wondering if I’ll be able to taste the green tea more now that I’m a bit more familiar with it.

First few sips and… It’s still super good! Phew. Yeah, I taste the green tea – but I still taste the mint more!I’m actually really tasting spearmint in this cup, and less so peppermint. Yay! I still find it really refreshing, and I’m so relieved that now that I have a bit more of a distinguished palette the green tea isn’t putting me off. There’s really not a lot to add though, it’s a pretty straight forward Moroccan Tea.

Now I just have to find somewhere local to buy this! In my old city it wasn’t hard to get ahold of, we just picked it up from Superstore or Safeway. In my new city, I’ve checked both Superstore, Shoppers and Co-Op but none of them choose to stock this one (each individual store gets to pick what they stock). I guess I haven’t checked Safeway yet, so hopefully the Safeways here actually stock this one. Otherwise I’ll have to try and coerce a family member to buy some for me and bring it with next time they visit.

Growing up, the only tea I ever drank was bagged mint tea (especially peppermint), and mint still remains a staple flavour for me. Spearmint is my favourite. At this point in my ‘tea career’ I heavily lean towards flavoured blends; doesn’t matter if they’re fruity, chocolate, sweet, savory, etc. Blacks are my favourite as far as flavoured blends go, with whites a close second. I really enjoy everything but straight Greens though, but I’ll try anything once even if I am wary.

My favourite fruit flavours in blends are cranberry, banana, pear, lychee, melon, passion fruit and especially pineapple. I am also always excited to try anything with Saskatoon Berries, which are delicious and also my city’s namesake. I have a huge weakness towards toffee/caramel and coconut teas and a bit of a soft spot in regard to black licorice. I also adore anything creamy. I am always up for trying soda inspired blends as well because the concept fascinates me. I want to try all the Rootbeer teas! I am also currently trying to try as many Sweet Potato blends as possible.

Tastes I strongly dislike are ginger and raisins. Really, those are the only two things I intentionally avoid. I also have mixed feelings about peaches, mangoes, lemongrass, and chamomile.

In regard to straight teas, I haven’t been nearly as adventurous. I’ve yet to really explore any straight oolongs, except Milk Oolongs which weren’t really for me. In general, I really like straight black teas, especially when they have strong baked bread or malt notes. I like most straight whites, but I have a preference for silver needle teas over other types. Green teas, with the exception of Genmaicha and some Hojicha, make me feel a bit sick and I often can’t finish the cup. I can handle flavoured matcha like Red Leaf Tea sells – but straight matcha is a definite “no go”. I recently survived my first Pu’erh, and it was an alright, maybe borderline enjoyable, experience.

The ratio of cold brewed and hot tea I drink is about 50/50. As far as my cup sizes go, all my daily cold brews are done in a 25 oz. mason jar and my other mugs are 12 oz. with the exception of my Adeline infuser mug which is 16 oz. Unless otherwise specified, these are the cup sizes for all teas I review.

I prefer to drink my tea without adding anything to it, and 9/10 times that will be how I first try a blend. My belief is that milk, sugar or whatever else you add to your tea should be used to enhance an already good flavour: if the tea needs something added to it to taste good then it’s probably not good tea to begin with. The exception is Matcha; I always have my matcha whisked either into cold milk or club soda as “Matcha soda” depending on which way the flavour will be best suited. My roommate, Tre, has a very different philosophy in regard to tea, and that’s to always drown out his cup in sugar – even before tasting to see if it needs any. That’s why I don’t let him drink the good stuff ;)

The other important person in my life is my friend Robyn.

Some brief “IRL” interests: Clay/Sculpture (or visual arts in general), Improv, Mythology, Big Brother (USA and CA), and an absurdly large amount of TV shows – geeky or otherwise.

Saskatoon, SK, Canada