Ok, time to try this one again.

I’m still finding this pretty bitter, but I think I’m able to identify the taste a bit better. There are slight floral notes, and I want to say something verging on apricot or peach but just not quite getting there. It reminds me a lot of Ontario Ice Wine, but without the berry notes and with much more astringency.

The aftertaste isn’t sitting well with me at all, and I don’t think I can blame it on user error this time. I guess this is sort of a sip down then: I’ll be giving the last bit of this sample to Robyn.

TeaVivre

I’m sorry for this tea you tasted bitter. Would you please tell me the details about brewing? Such as the water temperature, how many tea leaves and water? Did you brewed this tea a little long?

Roswell Strange

I used 2 tsp. of tea for 6 oz. of water steeped in 88 degree celsius water for 1 minute. It did taste better than the first time I tried brewing it, but not by a lot.

TeaVivre

Thanks for your information. We have brewed this tea again with 3 tsp (about 2g), 175ML water steeped in 88 degree for 1m30s. But we didn’t taste bitter. So i wonder if this tea you have brewed was Organic White Peony (Bai Mu Dan) Tea? It will be appreciate you can send me the picture about this tea. By the way, have you eaten something before you drink this tea ( sometimes it will affect the taste)? And how to save this tea?

Look forward to your reply.

Roswell Strange

The tea is being kept in an airtight container, in a drawer so that it doesn’t have any light exposure. I’m unable to upload a picture because of the internet connectivity issues I’ve been having for the last few days, but the leaf I recieved in my sample packet looks practically identical to the leaf depicted on the Steepster page for this tea, so I’m pretty sure I am drinking the Organic white Peony. It’s possible that this tea just simply isn’t to my taste – I did compare it to another white tea (albeit a flavoured one) I own which I am also not too fond of (a tea called Ontario Ice Wine). The tea I compared it to uses Bai Mu Dan as the base tea. But I greatly appreciate the length you seem to have gone to in order to help me enjoy this tea as much as possible. I think, however, that I’m going to give the remainder of my sample to a friend who enjoys straight white teas more than I do; that way it will be better appreciated.

TeaVivre

Thanks for your information. I’m sorry our Organic White Peony (Bai Mu Dan) Tea is not your favorite tea. However, i also want to send you our fresh Organic White Peony (Bai MuDan) Tea as well as Organic Nonpareil Silver Needle White Tea (Bai Hao Yin Zhen). So you can try them and compare with the first Organic White Peony (Bai MuDan) Tea. Meanwhile, if you are interested in any kinds of tea sample, please don’t hesitate to tell me. I’m glad to provide for you.

If you want to try any kinds of tea sample, please don’t hesitate to send me your shipping address to: [email protected]

Comments

TeaVivre

TeaVivre

Look forward to your reply.

TeaVivre

Growing up, the only teas I ever drank were bagged mint teas (especially peppermint), and mint still remains a staple flavour for me. My favourite teas are flavoured ones (doesn’t matter if they’re fruity, chocolate, sweet, savory, etc). And thus far in my tea journey, blacks are my favourite as far as flavoured blends go, but I’ve also developed a very strong liking towards mate and whites. For the most part, I really enjoy everything else as well. The exception is green tea – which I very much dislike. I have found a few heavily flavoured greens that I enjoy, but I’m always very wary in trying green blends.

My favourite fruit flavours in regard to tea blends are cranberry, banana, pear, lychee, melon, passion fruit and especially pineapple (pineapple is my favourite fruit). I am also always excited to try anything with Saskatoon Berries, which are delicious and also my city’s namesake. I also have a huge weakness towards toffee/caramel teas and a bit of a soft spot in regard to black licorice. And I adore anything creamy. Since I’ve used flavoured teas as a way to cut out soda from my diet, I am always up for trying soda inspired blends. I want to try all the Rootbeer teas!

Tastes I strongly dislike are ginger (I tend to avoid blends which mention ginger as an ingredient), and raisins (I’ll typically flat out refuse to try anything with raisins – I hate them that much). Really, those are the only two things I intentionally avoid. I also have mixed feelings about peaches, mangoes, lemongrass, and chamomile.

In regard to straight teas, I haven’t been nearly as adventurous. I’ve yet to really explore any straight oolongs, except Milk Oolongs which weren’t really for me. In general, I really like straight black teas, especially when they have strong baked bread or malt notes. I like most straight whites, but I especially adore silver needle teas. Green teas, with the exception of Genmaicha and some Hojicha, make me feel a bit sick and I can’t finish the cup. I can handle flavoured matcha like Red Leaf Tea sells – but straight matcha is a definite “no go”. I recently survived my first Pu’erh, and it was an alright, maybe borderline enjoyable, experience.

As far as cold brewing goes, I do prefer to have my tea hot – but I always keep a selection of herbals and fruit blends to cold steep. I do a daily 25 oz. cold brew which I either have first thing with breakfast or take in a thermos to drink at work, in addition to the hot Timolino(s) I also bring with every work shift. On average, I have six cups of tea a day.

I prefer to drink my tea without adding anything to it, and that’s always how I first try a tea. My belief is that milk, sugar or whatever else you add to your tea should be used to enhance an already good flavour: if the tea needs something added to it to taste good then it’s probably not good tea to begin with. The exception is Matcha; I always have my matcha whisked either into cold milk or club soda as “tea soda” depending on which way the flavour will be best suited. My roommate, Tre, has a very different philosophy in regard to tea, and that’s to always drown out his cup in sugar – even before tasting to see if it needs any. That’s why I don’t let him drink the good stuff ;)

As far as ratings go, I try to rate things comparatively to other teas I’ve tried. If I like it less than something rated, say, a 90 then it wont be rated more than a 90. Instead I’ll try to find a rated tea I like about the same amount and then the tea I’m drinking gets rated that number. If I find I like it in between two rated teas then I’ll rate in a number in between those ratings. I also wont restock anything with a rating lower than 80, unless it’s a bagged tea (but bagged teas need to have a rating of at least 75 for me to consider stocking them).

The other important people in my life, within my new city, are my friends Robyn and Kristina.

Kristina is also a friend from highschool, though not nearly as close. We’ve become much closer since she moved here a few months after I did and we both realized we knew hardly anyone.

She lives less than 10 minutes from my house, and is over here a fairly large amount of time. Recently, she’s also undertaken the huge task of introducing me to Metal music and slowly getting my involved in the metal community here in Saskatoon. It’s a work in progress.

She’s not a tea drinker, but thankfully she’s always excited to hear me ramble and is often really amused by the teas I take with me different places.

I’m very much into clay and sculpture and, if I’m being honest and not modest, I’m really good at it. I also play way too much Pokemon for my own good, and watch more TV than one person should. I’m a huge sap and cry during TV and movies all the time, even if nothing terribly sad is happening.

I’m really wordy and have this tendency to write way more than is necessary or relevant, and that often carries into my tasting notes and reviews.I feel like that probably gets annoying for the people following me…

And, on that note I think I should maybe shut up a little bit now?

Saskatoon, SK, Canada