drank Goji Pop by DAVIDsTEA

So, I made this as a Soda today…

I brewed up 2 tsp. in boiling water, but only used about and ounce and a half or two ounces of water, so it was very concentrated. After letting it cool to about room temperature, I mixed it with a full can of club soda.

Actually, it was pretty good. I think maybe I enjoyed this tea as much this way as I do iced or a hot beverage. The melon flavour really shone through, but the hibiscus was quite tart and it didn’t seem to mix too well with the carbonation of the soda. It was an odd experience.

Anyway, I don’t know if I’ll have anything to add tomorrow. It seems like I’m going to have a fairly busy day: I’m going on a first ‘date’ (though, not a date – since we both agree that dates are too high stress with too much social expectation to live up to for either party) with someone I met using an online dating site…

Originally I was just looking to meet a few friends here in Saskatoon (since I know my mom used a dating site when she was looking to meet people, and it worked very favourably with her) but this was actually a nice and unexpected surprise. So, I hope it goes well – and fingers crossed?

I think I’m going to bring him some peppermint tea, since he said he finds my tea obsession “cute” (I don’t think he understands just how much I love and drink tea – and even that is nothing compared to many of you all) and he was complaining about getting headaches – which peppermint tea is good for. Also, since he doesn’t drink tea often it’s a good way to sort of ease him in to it? I don’t know – what do you think? Cute or corny?

Fjellrev

First off, best of luck on your “date”! That must be simultaneously exciting and nerve-wracking. I’ll cross my fingers for you. I joined a dating site when I moved here for the same reason too, but nothing ever came of it. No meet-ups or friend-making. Too many dirtbags. And that totally isn’t corny. If he’s cool he’ll appreciate it. If he thinks it’s corny, then he’s an assclown. :)

And we’re totally on the same wavelength on this tea. I have some cold-brewing in the fridge right now. Plus I love it as a tea pop.

keychange

definitely thoughtful of you. Good luck!

ashmanra

Sounds like fun! It is nice that he finds the tea obsession cute instead of frightening. I think some people I know acre just plain bewildered by it, but I manage to lure most of them to the dark side. LOL! BTW, my dad was stationed at Roswell in the late forties! :)

sweeTEApie

Tea soda… I’m SO intrigued!

Roswell Strange

I’m still working on mastering proportions of soda to tea and finding the perfect ratio. I’ve also tried cold brewing my tea straight into the club soda but found that it was fairly flat by the time a significant amount of flavour had been leached out of the dry leaves.

Comments

Fjellrev

keychange

definitely thoughtful of you. Good luck!

ashmanra

sweeTEApie

Tea soda… I’m SO intrigued!

Roswell Strange

Growing up, the only teas I ever drank were bagged mint teas (especially peppermint), and mint still remains a staple flavour for me. My favourite teas are flavoured ones (doesn’t matter if they’re fruity, chocolate, sweet, savory, etc). And thus far in my tea journey, blacks are my favourite as far as flavoured blends go, but I’ve also developed a very strong liking towards mate and whites. For the most part, I really enjoy everything else as well. The exception is green tea – which I very much dislike. I have found a few heavily flavoured greens that I enjoy, but I’m always very wary in trying green blends.

My favourite fruit flavours in regard to tea blends are cranberry, banana, pear, lychee, melon, passion fruit and especially pineapple (pineapple is my favourite fruit). I am also always excited to try anything with Saskatoon Berries, which are delicious and also my city’s namesake. I also have a huge weakness towards toffee/caramel teas and a bit of a soft spot in regard to black licorice. And I adore anything creamy. Since I’ve used flavoured teas as a way to cut out soda from my diet, I am always up for trying soda inspired blends. I want to try all the Rootbeer teas!

Tastes I strongly dislike are ginger (I tend to avoid blends which mention ginger as an ingredient), and raisins (I’ll typically flat out refuse to try anything with raisins – I hate them that much). Really, those are the only two things I intentionally avoid. I also have mixed feelings about peaches, mangoes, lemongrass, and chamomile.

In regard to straight teas, I haven’t been nearly as adventurous. I’ve yet to really explore any straight oolongs, except Milk Oolongs which weren’t really for me. In general, I really like straight black teas, especially when they have strong baked bread or malt notes. I like most straight whites, but I especially adore silver needle teas. Green teas, with the exception of Genmaicha and some Hojicha, make me feel a bit sick and I can’t finish the cup. I can handle flavoured matcha like Red Leaf Tea sells – but straight matcha is a definite “no go”. I recently survived my first Pu’erh, and it was an alright, maybe borderline enjoyable, experience.

As far as cold brewing goes, I do prefer to have my tea hot – but I always keep a selection of herbals and fruit blends to cold steep. I do a daily 25 oz. cold brew which I either have first thing with breakfast or take in a thermos to drink at work, in addition to the hot Timolino(s) I also bring with every work shift. On average, I have six cups of tea a day.

I prefer to drink my tea without adding anything to it, and that’s always how I first try a tea. My belief is that milk, sugar or whatever else you add to your tea should be used to enhance an already good flavour: if the tea needs something added to it to taste good then it’s probably not good tea to begin with. The exception is Matcha; I always have my matcha whisked either into cold milk or club soda as “tea soda” depending on which way the flavour will be best suited. My roommate, Tre, has a very different philosophy in regard to tea, and that’s to always drown out his cup in sugar – even before tasting to see if it needs any. That’s why I don’t let him drink the good stuff ;)

As far as ratings go, I try to rate things comparatively to other teas I’ve tried. If I like it less than something rated, say, a 90 then it wont be rated more than a 90. Instead I’ll try to find a rated tea I like about the same amount and then the tea I’m drinking gets rated that number. If I find I like it in between two rated teas then I’ll rate in a number in between those ratings. I also wont restock anything with a rating lower than 80, unless it’s a bagged tea (but bagged teas need to have a rating of at least 75 for me to consider stocking them).

The other important people in my life, within my new city, are my friends Robyn and Kristina.

Kristina is also a friend from highschool, though not nearly as close. We’ve become much closer since she moved here a few months after I did and we both realized we knew hardly anyone.

She lives less than 10 minutes from my house, and is over here a fairly large amount of time. Recently, she’s also undertaken the huge task of introducing me to Metal music and slowly getting my involved in the metal community here in Saskatoon. It’s a work in progress.

She’s not a tea drinker, but thankfully she’s always excited to hear me ramble and is often really amused by the teas I take with me different places.

I’m very much into clay and sculpture and, if I’m being honest and not modest, I’m really good at it. I also play way too much Pokemon for my own good, and watch more TV than one person should. I’m a huge sap and cry during TV and movies all the time, even if nothing terribly sad is happening.

I’m really wordy and have this tendency to write way more than is necessary or relevant, and that often carries into my tasting notes and reviews.I feel like that probably gets annoying for the people following me…

And, on that note I think I should maybe shut up a little bit now?

Saskatoon, SK, Canada