drank Spiced Fig by DAVIDsTEA

I was going to log everything I’ve had to drink today in the order I consumed it, but for some reason that seems like a flawed plan – and I wish to start with this one because A) I get to tell an awesome story about some good customer service at David’s and B) it was one of the winter blends that I was most excited for when they were ‘announced’ (leaked).

So, lets start with point A…

I went in today with two main goals: Get some of the new winter/Christmas teas to try out and get a replacement part for my Timolino which, sadly, was purchased with a broken brew basket that I didn’t notice in store at the time of purchasing it. So I walked in store on a mission to find the part I needed, and a friendly sales guy (who has helped me out in the past) asked if he could help find something for me since it looked like I was trying really hard to find something.

I told him a needed a replacement part for a Timolino, and instantly he seemed very concerned about why I needed a replacement part. After asking what needed to be replaced, I explained to him that I had bought a Timolino around a week ago (right before the comic con trip) which had a broken brew basket. Everytime I try to brew something, the basket falls to the bottom of the thermos and is nearly impossible to fish out (and therefore get my leaves out), which usually ruins the teas I’m drinking.

He asked if I had a receipt because, if I did, they could just give me a new Timolino, but I told him I sadly didn’t. I did, however, have the Timolino with me minus the brew basket. After asking me to wait just a moment he ran to the back, and then came out with a brand new black Timolino in the same size as mine. After exchanging the one I had for the new one he apologized for the fact I had purchased a broken one and said it was no problem replacing it (even though I neither had a receipt OR the brew basket to prove it was broken). Customer service like that is awesome and it’s just one of many examples of DAVIDsTEA going that extra little bit for their customers!

Now on to the tea:

Samples teas for the day were Spiced Fig and Choconut Oolong – both of which I had on my list to get samples of. However, I took the opportunity to try them both first. I’m glad I did, because although I had a great customer service experience I didn’t have a great taste experience with this tea. Lots of people have noted that it’s really heavy and takes a lot to make a flavourful cup (which makes it a very expensive blend). The sample I had today wasn’t exactly flavourless, but none of the flavours were super distinct.

I think I tasted every flavour in the ingredients list MINUS the fig itself, which is super disappointing because that’s what this tea is named for and that’s the flavour that really had me interested. The rest just worked out to be a generically fruity herbal (cranberry was a bit more noticeable as a flavour note, though) with a strong clove taste. It was enough to keep me from picking any up today to play around with.

Who knows though, maybe I’ll change my mind. Maybe not.

I’m ranking this with two things in mind: the actual flavour (which was generic, but not bad) and the fact that this tea almost in no way embodies what the title claims it to be (a FIG tea).

EDIT: I almost forgot to add this! I was talking to the sales guy about the new blends and we got on the topic of Alpine Punch returning. This is something he mentioned to me, so fans of Alpine Punch from the last few seasons might want to take note of this. The Alpine Punch blend this year was altered. It now has black pepper in it and an increased amount of coconut.

MissB

I got zero fig out of it too. I’m glad though that you tried it in the store, as I was really wondering if it was me steeping it wrong, or just needing more to try it out.

Roswell Strange

Yeah, I’m glad I tried it in store too. I’m just going to accept that they (very likely) made it properly and it’s just not to my taste. Kinda disappointed, though.

Cavocorax

Interesting! I have a 25g sealed bag of Alpine Punch for last year, but I MIGHT like the new one better. :P Maybe I should keep it sealed in case someone wants to trade.

Cavocorax

That’s too bad about the fig – I don’t really know what fig tastes like, but I enjoyed the mix. I guess this is my 2nd fav of the new teas?

Cavocorax

(Aside from being SUPER heavy and requiring 2 tsp per cup, making it so you need 10g per serving…. = $$$)

tigress_al

I also find that they have great customer service!

Comments

MissB

Roswell Strange

tigress_al

I also find that they have great customer service!

Growing up, the only teas I ever drank were bagged mint teas (especially peppermint), and mint still remains a staple flavour for me. My favourite teas are flavoured ones (doesn’t matter if they’re fruity, chocolate, sweet, savory, etc). And thus far in my tea journey, blacks are my favourite as far as flavoured blends go, but I’ve also developed a very strong liking towards mate and whites. For the most part, I really enjoy everything else as well. The exception is green tea – which I very much dislike. I have found a few heavily flavoured greens that I enjoy, but I’m always very wary in trying green blends.

My favourite fruit flavours in regard to tea blends are cranberry, banana, pear, lychee, melon, passion fruit and especially pineapple (pineapple is my favourite fruit). I am also always excited to try anything with Saskatoon Berries, which are delicious and also my city’s namesake. I also have a huge weakness towards toffee/caramel teas and a bit of a soft spot in regard to black licorice. And I adore anything creamy. Since I’ve used flavoured teas as a way to cut out soda from my diet, I am always up for trying soda inspired blends. I want to try all the Rootbeer teas!

Tastes I strongly dislike are ginger (I tend to avoid blends which mention ginger as an ingredient), and raisins (I’ll typically flat out refuse to try anything with raisins – I hate them that much). Really, those are the only two things I intentionally avoid. I also have mixed feelings about peaches, mangoes, lemongrass, and chamomile.

In regard to straight teas, I haven’t been nearly as adventurous. I’ve yet to really explore any straight oolongs, except Milk Oolongs which weren’t really for me. In general, I really like straight black teas, especially when they have strong baked bread or malt notes. I like most straight whites, but I especially adore silver needle teas. Green teas, with the exception of Genmaicha and some Hojicha, make me feel a bit sick and I can’t finish the cup. I can handle flavoured matcha like Red Leaf Tea sells – but straight matcha is a definite “no go”. I recently survived my first Pu’erh, and it was an alright, maybe borderline enjoyable, experience.

As far as cold brewing goes, I do prefer to have my tea hot – but I always keep a selection of herbals and fruit blends to cold steep. I do a daily 25 oz. cold brew which I either have first thing with breakfast or take in a thermos to drink at work, in addition to the hot Timolino(s) I also bring with every work shift. On average, I have six cups of tea a day.

I prefer to drink my tea without adding anything to it, and that’s always how I first try a tea. My belief is that milk, sugar or whatever else you add to your tea should be used to enhance an already good flavour: if the tea needs something added to it to taste good then it’s probably not good tea to begin with. The exception is Matcha; I always have my matcha whisked either into cold milk or club soda as “tea soda” depending on which way the flavour will be best suited. My roommate, Tre, has a very different philosophy in regard to tea, and that’s to always drown out his cup in sugar – even before tasting to see if it needs any. That’s why I don’t let him drink the good stuff ;)

As far as ratings go, I try to rate things comparatively to other teas I’ve tried. If I like it less than something rated, say, a 90 then it wont be rated more than a 90. Instead I’ll try to find a rated tea I like about the same amount and then the tea I’m drinking gets rated that number. If I find I like it in between two rated teas then I’ll rate in a number in between those ratings. I also wont restock anything with a rating lower than 80, unless it’s a bagged tea (but bagged teas need to have a rating of at least 75 for me to consider stocking them).

The other important people in my life, within my new city, are my friends Robyn and Kristina.

Kristina is also a friend from highschool, though not nearly as close. We’ve become much closer since she moved here a few months after I did and we both realized we knew hardly anyone.

She lives less than 10 minutes from my house, and is over here a fairly large amount of time. Recently, she’s also undertaken the huge task of introducing me to Metal music and slowly getting my involved in the metal community here in Saskatoon. It’s a work in progress.

She’s not a tea drinker, but thankfully she’s always excited to hear me ramble and is often really amused by the teas I take with me different places.

I’m very much into clay and sculpture and, if I’m being honest and not modest, I’m really good at it. I also play way too much Pokemon for my own good, and watch more TV than one person should. I’m a huge sap and cry during TV and movies all the time, even if nothing terribly sad is happening.

I’m really wordy and have this tendency to write way more than is necessary or relevant, and that often carries into my tasting notes and reviews.I feel like that probably gets annoying for the people following me…

And, on that note I think I should maybe shut up a little bit now?

Saskatoon, SK, Canada