drank Spiced Fig by DAVIDsTEA

I was going to log everything I’ve had to drink today in the order I consumed it, but for some reason that seems like a flawed plan – and I wish to start with this one because A) I get to tell an awesome story about some good customer service at David’s and B) it was one of the winter blends that I was most excited for when they were ‘announced’ (leaked).

So, lets start with point A…

I went in today with two main goals: Get some of the new winter/Christmas teas to try out and get a replacement part for my Timolino which, sadly, was purchased with a broken brew basket that I didn’t notice in store at the time of purchasing it. So I walked in store on a mission to find the part I needed, and a friendly sales guy (who has helped me out in the past) asked if he could help find something for me since it looked like I was trying really hard to find something.

I told him a needed a replacement part for a Timolino, and instantly he seemed very concerned about why I needed a replacement part. After asking what needed to be replaced, I explained to him that I had bought a Timolino around a week ago (right before the comic con trip) which had a broken brew basket. Everytime I try to brew something, the basket falls to the bottom of the thermos and is nearly impossible to fish out (and therefore get my leaves out), which usually ruins the teas I’m drinking.

He asked if I had a receipt because, if I did, they could just give me a new Timolino, but I told him I sadly didn’t. I did, however, have the Timolino with me minus the brew basket. After asking me to wait just a moment he ran to the back, and then came out with a brand new black Timolino in the same size as mine. After exchanging the one I had for the new one he apologized for the fact I had purchased a broken one and said it was no problem replacing it (even though I neither had a receipt OR the brew basket to prove it was broken). Customer service like that is awesome and it’s just one of many examples of DAVIDsTEA going that extra little bit for their customers!

Now on to the tea:

Samples teas for the day were Spiced Fig and Choconut Oolong – both of which I had on my list to get samples of. However, I took the opportunity to try them both first. I’m glad I did, because although I had a great customer service experience I didn’t have a great taste experience with this tea. Lots of people have noted that it’s really heavy and takes a lot to make a flavourful cup (which makes it a very expensive blend). The sample I had today wasn’t exactly flavourless, but none of the flavours were super distinct.

I think I tasted every flavour in the ingredients list MINUS the fig itself, which is super disappointing because that’s what this tea is named for and that’s the flavour that really had me interested. The rest just worked out to be a generically fruity herbal (cranberry was a bit more noticeable as a flavour note, though) with a strong clove taste. It was enough to keep me from picking any up today to play around with.

Who knows though, maybe I’ll change my mind. Maybe not.

I’m ranking this with two things in mind: the actual flavour (which was generic, but not bad) and the fact that this tea almost in no way embodies what the title claims it to be (a FIG tea).

EDIT: I almost forgot to add this! I was talking to the sales guy about the new blends and we got on the topic of Alpine Punch returning. This is something he mentioned to me, so fans of Alpine Punch from the last few seasons might want to take note of this. The Alpine Punch blend this year was altered. It now has black pepper in it and an increased amount of coconut.

MissB

I got zero fig out of it too. I’m glad though that you tried it in the store, as I was really wondering if it was me steeping it wrong, or just needing more to try it out.

Roswell Strange

Yeah, I’m glad I tried it in store too. I’m just going to accept that they (very likely) made it properly and it’s just not to my taste. Kinda disappointed, though.

Cavocorax

Interesting! I have a 25g sealed bag of Alpine Punch for last year, but I MIGHT like the new one better. :P Maybe I should keep it sealed in case someone wants to trade.

Cavocorax

That’s too bad about the fig – I don’t really know what fig tastes like, but I enjoyed the mix. I guess this is my 2nd fav of the new teas?

Cavocorax

(Aside from being SUPER heavy and requiring 2 tsp per cup, making it so you need 10g per serving…. = $$$)

tigress_al

I also find that they have great customer service!

Comments

MissB

Roswell Strange

tigress_al

I also find that they have great customer service!

Hello;

Least favourite flavours/ingredients:
Lemongrass, ginger/“Chai” in general, raisins, overly vegetal, chamomile

Saskatoon, SK, Canada