Probably going to be the last tea of the night… I’m starting to get really tired, so I think a herbal is a good choice to finish the night and I’m dying to try out the last two teas I bought from the winter/Christmas collections: so I guess I’m checking this one off now!

It’s no secret that I LOVE peppermint (and just mint in general), so of course this was on my list of teas to check out. While I was in store, I checked out Santa’s Secret too because it’s so raved about – but the smell did nothing for me which was kinda odd because, firstly, it’s a mint blend (candy canes!) and, secondly, has a black base and black teas are typically a consistent favourite of mine. Although, Read My Lips is another popular David’s blend with mint and a black base – but I’ve yet to try it because for whatever reason the smell does nothing to entice me either. I guess I shouldn’t be too surprised: I can’t love EVERYTHING mint.

Contrary though, I love EVERYTHING about the smell of this one! I’ll be honest, I had reservations because this blend, like Read My Lips, has peppercorns and I thought that might have something to do with why it doesn’t appeal to me, but ultimately this smells just perfect (and totally wintery/Christmasy). The smell of the white chocolate, which I love, is so much stronger than I expected it to be and the dry leaf has a lot more white chocolate swirls than I expected. The peppermint is also INCREDIBLY intense. Seriously, when I think “Christmas tea” or “Christmas flavours” this is exactly what I imagine. There’s something incredibly familiar about it…

So, I steeped 1 1/2tsp. for a 10 oz. mug in boiling water. Currently it’s still steeping, but HOLY OIL SLICK. Seriously, oily teas usually don’t bother me at all – but this one just has so much oily sheen and little “oily bits” floating around to it that it’s kinda actually gross to me. It really looks very murky/swampy. However, the smell is HEAVENLY. The peppermint is so strong that my eyes are watering a little – and I love it. There’s something very much “white mint chocolate bark” about this, and I think MAYBE what the dry leaf reminded me of was this odd White Chocolate Eggnog drink that I’ve only ever had once. I need to wait a little for it to cool, but I have high hopes for this (which means this’ll only turn out fantastically or be a disaster).

I’m stealing very small sips as it cools, and so for this is yummy peppermint with creamy white chocolate. I really need a bigger sip, but so far I’m getting “White peppermint hot chocolate”. It’s quite sweet, but that’s to be expected with stevia included in the mix. I don’t know how long this ended up actually steeping for. Pretty sure it was close to 10 minutes – but it’s a herbal so I’m sure it can take it.

I think I was accurate in my white chocolate bark comparison. This is very sweet, and strongly white chocolate flavoured especially in the smooth and creamy aftertaste. The aftertaste specifically actually reminds me of a fresher (because of the mint) white hot chocolate like Timmie’s white hot chocolate (only drink I ever get from there). I definitely get “Christmas” from drinking this blend, and it’s sort of reminding me of fresh fallen snow (perfect for today since we had our first heavy snowfall for the season here in Saskatoon). There’s nothing egg nog flavoured about the tea itself, though. I think this is a good, solid peppermint tea though.

I only bought 20g of it, so I’m thinking I’ll definitely be back for more before the collection leaves. Not sure yet whether I’ll just get a 50g bag or if I want a whole tin. It’s a good alternative to a heavily steeped cup of Peppermint Amour and makes a nice switch up from Della Terra’s Minty Cow (or whatever name it happens to be listed under atm) – which has kind of been my go to mint chocolate tea.

Variety is good.

Boiling 8 min or more
VariaTEA

I smelled this in store and it didn’t really do much for me but when I asked the saleswoman what makes a good latte she told me this and so I got one to go and I had to fight the urge not to turn around and buy this. I am holding off because I already placed an order with Teavana and I am waiting for their White Chocolate Peppermint blend. I figure if the two are similar I will just stick with what I got but if they are different I will definitely need to go by David’s and pick some up.

Also, I have not sent you your teas yet and I have about 80 g of Read My Lips here that I don’t intend on drinking. Should I send you a sample that way you can see if the mint of the blend wins you over?

Roswell Strange

Maybe a small sample, if you don’t mind. I have so many mint teas in my house right now it’s not even funny.

VariaTEA

no problem. I will add it to the package. I am hoping to send it out tomorrow but something tells me I won’t be dropped off at the post office until after I hand in my paper on Wednesday :(

Cavocorax

I’m glad VariaTEA is sending you some of Read My Lips, because I was about to offer. :P (I have… 5 oz of it because I saw a SALE and bought more than I needed. whoops. It’s good, but I have enough to last me forever. Probably)

And I pretty much agree with everything you said about this tea. As I sit and sip the same blend, I’m just nodding along. Yep.

KittyMcBitty

I really enjoyed reading your review of this tea! I got it last week and I’ve also noticed the oiliness but I figured it was the white chocolate so all was forgiven :P

Comments

VariaTEA

Roswell Strange

Cavocorax

KittyMcBitty

Growing up, the only teas I ever drank were bagged mint teas (especially peppermint), and mint still remains a staple flavour for me. My favourite teas are flavoured ones (doesn’t matter if they’re fruity, chocolate, sweet, savory, etc). And thus far in my tea journey, blacks are my favourite as far as flavoured blends go, but I’ve also developed a very strong liking towards mate and whites. For the most part, I really enjoy everything else as well. The exception is green tea – which I very much dislike. I have found a few heavily flavoured greens that I enjoy, but I’m always very wary in trying green blends.

My favourite fruit flavours in regard to tea blends are cranberry, banana, pear, lychee, melon, passion fruit and especially pineapple (pineapple is my favourite fruit). I am also always excited to try anything with Saskatoon Berries, which are delicious and also my city’s namesake. I also have a huge weakness towards toffee/caramel teas and a bit of a soft spot in regard to black licorice. And I adore anything creamy. Since I’ve used flavoured teas as a way to cut out soda from my diet, I am always up for trying soda inspired blends. I want to try all the Rootbeer teas!

Tastes I strongly dislike are ginger (I tend to avoid blends which mention ginger as an ingredient), and raisins (I’ll typically flat out refuse to try anything with raisins – I hate them that much). Really, those are the only two things I intentionally avoid. I also have mixed feelings about peaches, mangoes, lemongrass, and chamomile.

In regard to straight teas, I haven’t been nearly as adventurous. I’ve yet to really explore any straight oolongs, except Milk Oolongs which weren’t really for me. In general, I really like straight black teas, especially when they have strong baked bread or malt notes. I like most straight whites, but I especially adore silver needle teas. Green teas, with the exception of Genmaicha and some Hojicha, make me feel a bit sick and I can’t finish the cup. I can handle flavoured matcha like Red Leaf Tea sells – but straight matcha is a definite “no go”. I recently survived my first Pu’erh, and it was an alright, maybe borderline enjoyable, experience.

As far as cold brewing goes, I do prefer to have my tea hot – but I always keep a selection of herbals and fruit blends to cold steep. I do a daily 25 oz. cold brew which I either have first thing with breakfast or take in a thermos to drink at work, in addition to the hot Timolino(s) I also bring with every work shift. On average, I have six cups of tea a day.

I prefer to drink my tea without adding anything to it, and that’s always how I first try a tea. My belief is that milk, sugar or whatever else you add to your tea should be used to enhance an already good flavour: if the tea needs something added to it to taste good then it’s probably not good tea to begin with. The exception is Matcha; I always have my matcha whisked either into cold milk or club soda as “tea soda” depending on which way the flavour will be best suited. My roommate, Tre, has a very different philosophy in regard to tea, and that’s to always drown out his cup in sugar – even before tasting to see if it needs any. That’s why I don’t let him drink the good stuff ;)

As far as ratings go, I try to rate things comparatively to other teas I’ve tried. If I like it less than something rated, say, a 90 then it wont be rated more than a 90. Instead I’ll try to find a rated tea I like about the same amount and then the tea I’m drinking gets rated that number. If I find I like it in between two rated teas then I’ll rate in a number in between those ratings. I also wont restock anything with a rating lower than 80, unless it’s a bagged tea (but bagged teas need to have a rating of at least 75 for me to consider stocking them).

The other important people in my life, within my new city, are my friends Robyn and Kristina.

Kristina is also a friend from highschool, though not nearly as close. We’ve become much closer since she moved here a few months after I did and we both realized we knew hardly anyone.

She lives less than 10 minutes from my house, and is over here a fairly large amount of time. Recently, she’s also undertaken the huge task of introducing me to Metal music and slowly getting my involved in the metal community here in Saskatoon. It’s a work in progress.

She’s not a tea drinker, but thankfully she’s always excited to hear me ramble and is often really amused by the teas I take with me different places.

I’m very much into clay and sculpture and, if I’m being honest and not modest, I’m really good at it. I also play way too much Pokemon for my own good, and watch more TV than one person should. I’m a huge sap and cry during TV and movies all the time, even if nothing terribly sad is happening.

I’m really wordy and have this tendency to write way more than is necessary or relevant, and that often carries into my tasting notes and reviews.I feel like that probably gets annoying for the people following me…

And, on that note I think I should maybe shut up a little bit now?

Saskatoon, SK, Canada