Probably going to be the last tea of the night… I’m starting to get really tired, so I think a herbal is a good choice to finish the night and I’m dying to try out the last two teas I bought from the winter/Christmas collections: so I guess I’m checking this one off now!

It’s no secret that I LOVE peppermint (and just mint in general), so of course this was on my list of teas to check out. While I was in store, I checked out Santa’s Secret too because it’s so raved about – but the smell did nothing for me which was kinda odd because, firstly, it’s a mint blend (candy canes!) and, secondly, has a black base and black teas are typically a consistent favourite of mine. Although, Read My Lips is another popular David’s blend with mint and a black base – but I’ve yet to try it because for whatever reason the smell does nothing to entice me either. I guess I shouldn’t be too surprised: I can’t love EVERYTHING mint.

Contrary though, I love EVERYTHING about the smell of this one! I’ll be honest, I had reservations because this blend, like Read My Lips, has peppercorns and I thought that might have something to do with why it doesn’t appeal to me, but ultimately this smells just perfect (and totally wintery/Christmasy). The smell of the white chocolate, which I love, is so much stronger than I expected it to be and the dry leaf has a lot more white chocolate swirls than I expected. The peppermint is also INCREDIBLY intense. Seriously, when I think “Christmas tea” or “Christmas flavours” this is exactly what I imagine. There’s something incredibly familiar about it…

So, I steeped 1 1/2tsp. for a 10 oz. mug in boiling water. Currently it’s still steeping, but HOLY OIL SLICK. Seriously, oily teas usually don’t bother me at all – but this one just has so much oily sheen and little “oily bits” floating around to it that it’s kinda actually gross to me. It really looks very murky/swampy. However, the smell is HEAVENLY. The peppermint is so strong that my eyes are watering a little – and I love it. There’s something very much “white mint chocolate bark” about this, and I think MAYBE what the dry leaf reminded me of was this odd White Chocolate Eggnog drink that I’ve only ever had once. I need to wait a little for it to cool, but I have high hopes for this (which means this’ll only turn out fantastically or be a disaster).

I’m stealing very small sips as it cools, and so for this is yummy peppermint with creamy white chocolate. I really need a bigger sip, but so far I’m getting “White peppermint hot chocolate”. It’s quite sweet, but that’s to be expected with stevia included in the mix. I don’t know how long this ended up actually steeping for. Pretty sure it was close to 10 minutes – but it’s a herbal so I’m sure it can take it.

I think I was accurate in my white chocolate bark comparison. This is very sweet, and strongly white chocolate flavoured especially in the smooth and creamy aftertaste. The aftertaste specifically actually reminds me of a fresher (because of the mint) white hot chocolate like Timmie’s white hot chocolate (only drink I ever get from there). I definitely get “Christmas” from drinking this blend, and it’s sort of reminding me of fresh fallen snow (perfect for today since we had our first heavy snowfall for the season here in Saskatoon). There’s nothing egg nog flavoured about the tea itself, though. I think this is a good, solid peppermint tea though.

I only bought 20g of it, so I’m thinking I’ll definitely be back for more before the collection leaves. Not sure yet whether I’ll just get a 50g bag or if I want a whole tin. It’s a good alternative to a heavily steeped cup of Peppermint Amour and makes a nice switch up from Della Terra’s Minty Cow (or whatever name it happens to be listed under atm) – which has kind of been my go to mint chocolate tea.

Variety is good.

Boiling 8 min or more
VariaTEA

I smelled this in store and it didn’t really do much for me but when I asked the saleswoman what makes a good latte she told me this and so I got one to go and I had to fight the urge not to turn around and buy this. I am holding off because I already placed an order with Teavana and I am waiting for their White Chocolate Peppermint blend. I figure if the two are similar I will just stick with what I got but if they are different I will definitely need to go by David’s and pick some up.

Also, I have not sent you your teas yet and I have about 80 g of Read My Lips here that I don’t intend on drinking. Should I send you a sample that way you can see if the mint of the blend wins you over?

Roswell Strange

Maybe a small sample, if you don’t mind. I have so many mint teas in my house right now it’s not even funny.

VariaTEA

no problem. I will add it to the package. I am hoping to send it out tomorrow but something tells me I won’t be dropped off at the post office until after I hand in my paper on Wednesday :(

Cavocorax

I’m glad VariaTEA is sending you some of Read My Lips, because I was about to offer. :P (I have… 5 oz of it because I saw a SALE and bought more than I needed. whoops. It’s good, but I have enough to last me forever. Probably)

And I pretty much agree with everything you said about this tea. As I sit and sip the same blend, I’m just nodding along. Yep.

KittyMcBitty

I really enjoyed reading your review of this tea! I got it last week and I’ve also noticed the oiliness but I figured it was the white chocolate so all was forgiven :P

Comments

VariaTEA

Roswell Strange

Cavocorax

KittyMcBitty

Growing up, the only tea I ever drank was bagged mint tea (especially peppermint), and mint still remains a staple flavour for me. Spearmint is my favourite. At this point in my ‘tea career’ I heavily lean towards flavoured blends; doesn’t matter if they’re fruity, chocolate, sweet, savory, etc. Blacks are my favourite as far as flavoured blends go, with whites a close second. I really enjoy everything but straight Greens though, but I’ll try anything once even if I am wary.

My favourite fruit flavours in blends are cranberry, banana, pear, lychee, melon, passion fruit and especially pineapple. I am also always excited to try anything with Saskatoon Berries, which are delicious and also my city’s namesake. I have a huge weakness towards toffee/caramel and coconut teas and a bit of a soft spot in regard to black licorice. I also adore anything creamy. I am always up for trying soda inspired blends as well because the concept fascinates me. I want to try all the Rootbeer teas! I am also currently trying to try as many Sweet Potato blends as possible.

Tastes I strongly dislike are ginger and raisins. Really, those are the only two things I intentionally avoid. I also have mixed feelings about peaches, mangoes, lemongrass, and chamomile.

In regard to straight teas, I haven’t been nearly as adventurous. I’ve yet to really explore any straight oolongs, except Milk Oolongs which weren’t really for me. In general, I really like straight black teas, especially when they have strong baked bread or malt notes. I like most straight whites, but I have a preference for silver needle teas over other types. Green teas, with the exception of Genmaicha and some Hojicha, make me feel a bit sick and I often can’t finish the cup. I can handle flavoured matcha like Red Leaf Tea sells – but straight matcha is a definite “no go”. I recently survived my first Pu’erh, and it was an alright, maybe borderline enjoyable, experience.

The ratio of cold brewed and hot tea I drink is about 50/50. As far as my cup sizes go, all my daily cold brews are done in a 25 oz. mason jar and my other mugs are 12 oz. with the exception of my Adeline infuser mug which is 16 oz. Unless otherwise specified, these are the cup sizes for all teas I review.

I prefer to drink my tea without adding anything to it, and 9/10 times that will be how I first try a blend. My belief is that milk, sugar or whatever else you add to your tea should be used to enhance an already good flavour: if the tea needs something added to it to taste good then it’s probably not good tea to begin with. The exception is Matcha; I always have my matcha whisked either into cold milk or club soda as “Matcha soda” depending on which way the flavour will be best suited. My roommate, Tre, has a very different philosophy in regard to tea, and that’s to always drown out his cup in sugar – even before tasting to see if it needs any. That’s why I don’t let him drink the good stuff ;)

The other important person in my life is my friend Robyn.

Some brief “IRL” interests: Clay/Sculpture (or visual arts in general), Improv, Mythology, Big Brother (USA and CA), and an absurdly large amount of TV shows – geeky or otherwise.

Saskatoon, SK, Canada