drank Gingerbread by DAVIDsTEA

I love when work is literally so slow I have time to do a proper “tea review” on shift, including detailed hand written tasting notes. Today was one of those days, so basically this is what I wrote, word for word, as I was drinking this on shift. It was the last of the Winter/Holiday teas I bought that I needed to try out…

This is the tea I was MOST excited for when the Winter/Holiday teas were announced (leaked). I love molasses, and actually usually really love gingerbread even though 9/10 times I’ll go out of my way to avoid food/drink with ginger in it. And, out of all the announced this this one most said “Christmas flavour” to me, at least name wise. Sadly, in store this is the tea I was LEAST impressed with (aside from, maybe, Spiced Fig which I didn’t even purchase). The dry leaf is just completely underwhelming in smell. Yes, there’s ginger, and yes there’s molasses but it just doesn’t feel like enough of it. I want to get hit in the face with the molasses and ginger, but instead I smelled the fruit in the blend before I could smell anything else. I bought 20g anyway though, on the hope I could be really wrong about this one.

Preparation:

- 1 1/2 tsp. for 12 oz. steeped t boiling in my timolino
- Steeped the full 7 minutes

The smell is a lot more rich steeped as opposed to dry – something I’m a little surprised by, but thankful for. There’s really deep, rich notes of molasses that hit you in the middle of a deep inhale and then sit with you for a while. It’s reminding me of the ginger snap cookies my baby sitter used to bake when I was young: they were so soft and richly molasses tasting. The fruit is in here too… I know it is: thing is, it’s also blending with everything else SO well that it’s not distinct enough to jump out at any part of the smell (if that makes sense). But Mmmmm, I love the smell of this SO SO SO much.

The taste is good: a lot like ginger snaps as well. I’m loving how well the molasses smell has carried into the taste – but I also just love molasses in general. The ginger is fluid throughout the sip, but is especially noticeable in aftertaste where it kind of tickles at my tongue and the back of my throat. As someone who’s not typically a fan of ginger things, it’s working pretty well for me (although the tickle in my throat keeps making me think my voice is gonna crack when I’m talking to customers). The rooibos base does really get lost underneath all the other flavours, so if you like gingerbread/molasses but were hesitant because this is rooibos, it might not be something you should be concerned about.

I think I’m in the minority when it comes to the new winter/holiday blends, because I seem to be enjoying them more than a lot of other people. I like this tea – and while initially is was just “good but average” to me as I was drinking it, the flavour REALLY built as I got closer to the bottom and I was really disappointed when I reached the bottom of my Timolino. I think, before they leave, I’ll need to make sure I’ve got more of this. 50g would probably do. I don’t think I love it enough for a full 100g.

(But seriously, the best part is the smell. If my kitchen permanently smelled like that all winter I’d be SO freaking happy)

keychange

I love your tasting notes!

Roswell Strange

Sometimes I worry they’re ridiculously long…

keychange

Nope. Perfectly long. I love them!

Comments

keychange

I love your tasting notes!

Roswell Strange

Sometimes I worry they’re ridiculously long…

keychange

Nope. Perfectly long. I love them!

Growing up, the only tea I ever drank was bagged mint tea (especially peppermint), and mint still remains a staple flavour for me. Spearmint is my favourite. At this point in my ‘tea career’ I heavily lean towards flavoured blends; doesn’t matter if they’re fruity, chocolate, sweet, savory, etc. Blacks are my favourite as far as flavoured blends go, with whites a close second. I really enjoy everything but straight Greens though, but I’ll try anything once even if I am wary.

My favourite fruit flavours in blends are cranberry, banana, pear, lychee, melon, passion fruit and especially pineapple. I am also always excited to try anything with Saskatoon Berries, which are delicious and also my city’s namesake. I have a huge weakness towards toffee/caramel and coconut teas and a bit of a soft spot in regard to black licorice. I also adore anything creamy. I am always up for trying soda inspired blends as well because the concept fascinates me. I want to try all the Rootbeer teas! I am also currently trying to try as many Sweet Potato blends as possible.

Tastes I strongly dislike are ginger and raisins. Really, those are the only two things I intentionally avoid. I also have mixed feelings about peaches, mangoes, lemongrass, and chamomile.

In regard to straight teas, I haven’t been nearly as adventurous. I’ve yet to really explore any straight oolongs, except Milk Oolongs which weren’t really for me. In general, I really like straight black teas, especially when they have strong baked bread or malt notes. I like most straight whites, but I have a preference for silver needle teas over other types. Green teas, with the exception of Genmaicha and some Hojicha, make me feel a bit sick and I often can’t finish the cup. I can handle flavoured matcha like Red Leaf Tea sells – but straight matcha is a definite “no go”. I recently survived my first Pu’erh, and it was an alright, maybe borderline enjoyable, experience.

The ratio of cold brewed and hot tea I drink is about 50/50. As far as my cup sizes go, all my daily cold brews are done in a 25 oz. mason jar and my other mugs are 12 oz. with the exception of my Adeline infuser mug which is 16 oz. Unless otherwise specified, these are the cup sizes for all teas I review.

I prefer to drink my tea without adding anything to it, and 9/10 times that will be how I first try a blend. My belief is that milk, sugar or whatever else you add to your tea should be used to enhance an already good flavour: if the tea needs something added to it to taste good then it’s probably not good tea to begin with. The exception is Matcha; I always have my matcha whisked either into cold milk or club soda as “Matcha soda” depending on which way the flavour will be best suited. My roommate, Tre, has a very different philosophy in regard to tea, and that’s to always drown out his cup in sugar – even before tasting to see if it needs any. That’s why I don’t let him drink the good stuff ;)

The other important person in my life is my friend Robyn.

Some brief “IRL” interests: Clay/Sculpture (or visual arts in general), Improv, Mythology, Big Brother (USA and CA), and an absurdly large amount of TV shows – geeky or otherwise.

Saskatoon, SK, Canada