I made this in the morning using the leaves from the cup I had last night with Robyn. Exact same steeping method as last night. The idea was to drink it at work along with the Raspberry Oolong I had also made, but I actually completely forgot that this was in my backpack all day, so I didn’t end up drinking it until after I had gone down to DAVIDsTEA downtown and realized I had it with me.

Actually, I have an awesome story to share from there today (again). Seriously, I think I’ve been down there twice in the last seven days now – and both times I had AMAZING and above and beyond customer service experiences. Last time, they completely replaced my broken timolino when I was just going to buy a replacement part, and this time I got about $20 of free tea…

So, what happened was I had gone in today to pick up three tea tins for teas I’ve decided will be restocked regularly (Minty Cow from Della Terra, Genmaicha from McQuarries, and Buddha Bamboo from Tea Desire), and also 100g of Choconut Oolong because I’m REALLY loving it and I want to have a good reserve of it. Really, that’s all I could afford to pick up until my next paycheck on the 16th (and then after that I’ll be making much more money because of the increase in hours and pay due to my being a manager now). However, when I came to the mall there was a homeless gentleman outside collecting change wearing nothing but jeans and a t-shirt. Today was FREEZING cold, and it’s snowing to. I’m cold and I’m in a GIANT insulated jacket – so I figure he’s probably freezing. I said hi to him and asked him if he was cold, and he said that yes he was cold but he would manage, and then wished me a blessed evening.

So, as I was getting my purchases rung in at the David’s store, I remembered this guy outside who had been very kind to me and who I could see was really cold. Even though I couldn’t really afford too much extra expenditures (I had budgeted money for this tea into my last paycheck, but didn’t really have any other money set aside for things other than bus fare, rent, and groceries) I decided that I’d get this gentleman a tea (plus, it wouldn’t hurt having the good karma on my side what with the fact I’m about to take on a huge amount of responsibility, and I’m training tomorrow).

I asked the salesman what he would recommend for a Tea to Go with the requirements being that the tea had to be able to withstand a very long steep time and have a very low risk for allergens. He looked a little confused at the requirements (like they were very unconventional things to request), so I explained that the tea wasn’t for me but the homeless gentleman outside who was probably freezing cold. He smiled, recommended Currant Affair (which I went with), and then told me that my tea was on the house. I assumed he just meant the Tea to Go (which was awesome because I really couldn’t afford it to begin with), but as he finished ringing everything in he not only gave me the Tea toG on the house, but also my 100g tin of Choconut Oolong! So, all I paid for was the tea tins (an $8 total, approx.) – and I got about $20 worth of free tea! I feel so blessed, and I’m again just BLOWN AWAY with how amazing David’s is.

Anyway, that was a very long story… So, back to the Choconut Oolong that I actually drank. This resteep is pretty good. The licorice root is faintly there, which is keeping this nice and sweet, and the chocolate and hazelnut flavours are also really lightly present. The interesting thing, however, is that this second steep seems to have brought out a flavour not present in the first steep at all, and that’s the flavour of graham crackers.

Actually, it’s a REALLY STRONG flavour of graham crackers. It’s good, but totally different. I wonder what changed that brought this specific flavour out? I tossed the leaves I used this morning, but I’d really love to try a third steeping and see how much this tea changes again. Thankfully, I have lots now to use up and (thanks to the amazing staff at David’s) even a little extra money in my budget!

VariaTEA

That is a great story! The world needs more people like you and the salespeople at David’s tea who are always so pleasant and amazing to deal with!!

tigress_al

Great story! You probably made that guy’s day! How thoughtful of you

Nightshifter

Thank you for sharing- that is so nice of you and the gentleman at David’s both! <3

BrewTEAlly Sweet

wow this made my day, I love doing things like these, especially if it make the other persons day. I love seeing people happy and grateful. Thank you for sharing this.

Cavocorax

That’s amazing! :)

Comments

VariaTEA

tigress_al

Great story! You probably made that guy’s day! How thoughtful of you

Nightshifter

BrewTEAlly Sweet

Cavocorax

That’s amazing! :)

Growing up, the only tea I ever drank was bagged mint tea (especially peppermint), and mint still remains a staple flavour for me. Spearmint is my favourite. At this point in my ‘tea career’ I heavily lean towards flavoured blends; doesn’t matter if they’re fruity, chocolate, sweet, savory, etc. Blacks are my favourite as far as flavoured blends go, with whites a close second. I really enjoy everything but straight Greens though, but I’ll try anything once even if I am wary.

My favourite fruit flavours in blends are cranberry, banana, pear, lychee, melon, passion fruit and especially pineapple. I am also always excited to try anything with Saskatoon Berries, which are delicious and also my city’s namesake. I have a huge weakness towards toffee/caramel and coconut teas and a bit of a soft spot in regard to black licorice. I also adore anything creamy. I am always up for trying soda inspired blends as well because the concept fascinates me. I want to try all the Rootbeer teas! I am also currently trying to try as many Sweet Potato blends as possible.

Tastes I strongly dislike are ginger and raisins. Really, those are the only two things I intentionally avoid. I also have mixed feelings about peaches, mangoes, lemongrass, and chamomile.

In regard to straight teas, I haven’t been nearly as adventurous. I’ve yet to really explore any straight oolongs, except Milk Oolongs which weren’t really for me. In general, I really like straight black teas, especially when they have strong baked bread or malt notes. I like most straight whites, but I have a preference for silver needle teas over other types. Green teas, with the exception of Genmaicha and some Hojicha, make me feel a bit sick and I often can’t finish the cup. I can handle flavoured matcha like Red Leaf Tea sells – but straight matcha is a definite “no go”. I recently survived my first Pu’erh, and it was an alright, maybe borderline enjoyable, experience.

The ratio of cold brewed and hot tea I drink is about 50/50. As far as my cup sizes go, all my daily cold brews are done in a 25 oz. mason jar and my other mugs are 12 oz. with the exception of my Adeline infuser mug which is 16 oz. Unless otherwise specified, these are the cup sizes for all teas I review.

I prefer to drink my tea without adding anything to it, and 9/10 times that will be how I first try a blend. My belief is that milk, sugar or whatever else you add to your tea should be used to enhance an already good flavour: if the tea needs something added to it to taste good then it’s probably not good tea to begin with. The exception is Matcha; I always have my matcha whisked either into cold milk or club soda as “Matcha soda” depending on which way the flavour will be best suited. My roommate, Tre, has a very different philosophy in regard to tea, and that’s to always drown out his cup in sugar – even before tasting to see if it needs any. That’s why I don’t let him drink the good stuff ;)

The other important person in my life is my friend Robyn.

Some brief “IRL” interests: Clay/Sculpture (or visual arts in general), Improv, Mythology, Big Brother (USA and CA), and an absurdly large amount of TV shows – geeky or otherwise.

Saskatoon, SK, Canada