Made for work today. This was one that I debated having last night when I was stuck between like nine different teas, but I made it today instead because I thought it would be a good flavour contrast to any of my mates (I knew I wanted a mate with me for such a long shift). This is a favourite of mine, and I’m still ecstatic that I have a close to completely full tin to sip away at whenever the mood suits me. Off topic note, but everytime I make this I feel like I should be drinking it along with a cup of Tropicalia. I have no idea why, but whenever I have this tea I associate it with Tropicalia (and vice versa) and whenever I crave this tea I crave Tropicalia too (vice versa again). They really have nothing in common…

Someday I’m just gonna go crazy and mix the two blends together to create some kind of frankenblend. Ugh, how odd would that be? Pina Colada Blueberry Jam? No thank you.

For preparation, I steeped a heaping 1/2 tbsp. in my timolino using boiling water for five minutes. I’m drinking the last few sips of what was left over from work right now, and I’m thinking that (while it’s still good) it probably would have benefitted from another minute (maybe two) of steeping.

Today I found the black base tea to be really strong, but the blueberry to be a bit lighter. I like the days I drink it and it’s got the opposite flavour profile. Still though, very good and reliable tea. It’s one of the only ways I ever consume anything blueberry because I hate the texture of actual blueberries and the taste of artificial blueberries (so this works since it’s the taste of real blueberries without the texture).

Also, about ten minutes before the end of my shift I texted Tre to try and convince him to make me eggs. He said no because he was going out with friends right away, but I got home from work and there was a plate of yummy eggs waiting for me (still hot) made just the way I like them: over easy and without salt or pepper (sometimes I think I have the best roommate, but sometimes he drives me mad too) I’m bringing this up because I’m eating them right now with the last of my timolino full of Blueberry Jam and they’re going together exquisitely. Such a great breakfast combo.

Growing up, the only tea I ever drank was bagged mint tea (especially peppermint), and mint still remains a staple flavour for me. Spearmint is my favourite. At this point in my ‘tea career’ I heavily lean towards flavoured blends; doesn’t matter if they’re fruity, chocolate, sweet, savory, etc. Blacks are my favourite as far as flavoured blends go, with whites a close second. I really enjoy everything but straight Greens though, but I’ll try anything once even if I am wary.

My favourite fruit flavours in blends are cranberry, banana, pear, lychee, melon, passion fruit and especially pineapple. I am also always excited to try anything with Saskatoon Berries, which are delicious and also my city’s namesake. I have a huge weakness towards toffee/caramel and coconut teas and a bit of a soft spot in regard to black licorice. I also adore anything creamy. I am always up for trying soda inspired blends as well because the concept fascinates me. I want to try all the Rootbeer teas! I am also currently trying to try as many Sweet Potato blends as possible.

Tastes I strongly dislike are ginger and raisins. Really, those are the only two things I intentionally avoid. I also have mixed feelings about peaches, mangoes, lemongrass, and chamomile.

In regard to straight teas, I haven’t been nearly as adventurous. I’ve yet to really explore any straight oolongs, except Milk Oolongs which weren’t really for me. In general, I really like straight black teas, especially when they have strong baked bread or malt notes. I like most straight whites, but I have a preference for silver needle teas over other types. Green teas, with the exception of Genmaicha and some Hojicha, make me feel a bit sick and I often can’t finish the cup. I can handle flavoured matcha like Red Leaf Tea sells – but straight matcha is a definite “no go”. I recently survived my first Pu’erh, and it was an alright, maybe borderline enjoyable, experience.

The ratio of cold brewed and hot tea I drink is about 50/50. As far as my cup sizes go, all my daily cold brews are done in a 25 oz. mason jar and my other mugs are 12 oz. with the exception of my Adeline infuser mug which is 16 oz. Unless otherwise specified, these are the cup sizes for all teas I review.

I prefer to drink my tea without adding anything to it, and 9/10 times that will be how I first try a blend. My belief is that milk, sugar or whatever else you add to your tea should be used to enhance an already good flavour: if the tea needs something added to it to taste good then it’s probably not good tea to begin with. The exception is Matcha; I always have my matcha whisked either into cold milk or club soda as “Matcha soda” depending on which way the flavour will be best suited. My roommate, Tre, has a very different philosophy in regard to tea, and that’s to always drown out his cup in sugar – even before tasting to see if it needs any. That’s why I don’t let him drink the good stuff ;)

The other important person in my life is my friend Robyn.

Some brief “IRL” interests: Clay/Sculpture (or visual arts in general), Improv, Mythology, Big Brother (USA and CA), and an absurdly large amount of TV shows – geeky or otherwise.

Saskatoon, SK, Canada