I really wanted to make myself black tea, but it also happens to be nearly 1 AM so my options for that were really limited (didn’t want the caffeine). Thankfully I bought this decaff bagged tea not too long ago. I looked at the box, and my thought was instantly “Ooh! This will be perfect with a splash of milk: great for ending the night on”. It wasn’t until about half way through steeping it that I realized I don’t have any milk in the house…

D’oh!

I’m going through my cupboard right now, trying to figure out how many teas I’ll have after my 52Teas and Butiki orders come in (both of which are placed), I receive all the swaps I’m expecting, and I get my Black Friday orders. It’s gonna be a really significant increase. I am limiting myself in regard to Black Friday, though – the only places I’ll be making orders are Della Terra and Butiki (second half of what I was gonna order with my first order). If Harney & Sons would have had a killer sale that applied to Canadians, I’d probably be placing my first order with them though… That basically covers the bulk of what’s on my shopping list atm.

I’m wondering if I could get down to 50 teas if I REALLY pushed to sipdown the few samples I have left. Of course, that’d never happen if any of the swaps I’m expecting arrive before Friday. Hmmm…

Anyway, this tea is good tonight – though I am disappointed in the lack of milk. I’m trying to price out my Black Friday orders and it looks like there isn’t enough on my prepaid visa card to cover them both, which means I’ll be using Tre’s credit card. Usually I give him cash equivalent to what I’ve bought, but our deal this time is that what ever I spend goes towards groceries/rent.

I love the smell of this blend so much! It seems kind of festive/seasonally accurate too – though not totally sure why. The only other blend that’s REALLY put me into the seasonal mood scent wise as much as this is David’s Gingerbread. That one smells heavenly too. Taste wise, for whatever reason I’m getting apple notes buried under all the vanilla, cinnamon, and clove. I didn’t get that last time – but I’m not necessarily complaining about getting that this time either.

Also, I’m very thankful Tre wasn’t home from work sooner this evening: I was watching Supernatural and had this ‘totally smooth move’ where I got distracted by something going on in the show and missed my mouth taking a huge gulp of tea. I literally (and I mean literally) poured half a thermos of tea straight onto my chest and all over my lap and the couch. Thankfully, my laptop was on the coffee table next to the couch and not directly on my lap (that could have been a horrid electronics disaster otherwise), and the tea was iced and not hot. But not a totally fun experience.

Hesper June

Supernatural will do that to a person:)

Roswell Strange

I do stupid things like that often: I’m afraid I’m not the most graceful of people. Once I was eating cereal and talking to my brother and I completely missed my mouth with the spoon (twice). Instead I jabbed myself in the cheek and got soggy cornflakes all over my face.

Comments

Hesper June

Supernatural will do that to a person:)

Roswell Strange

Growing up, the only tea I ever drank was bagged mint tea (especially peppermint), and mint still remains a staple flavour for me. Spearmint is my favourite. At this point in my ‘tea career’ I heavily lean towards flavoured blends; doesn’t matter if they’re fruity, chocolate, sweet, savory, etc. Blacks are my favourite as far as flavoured blends go, with whites a close second. I really enjoy everything but straight Greens though, but I’ll try anything once even if I am wary.

My favourite fruit flavours in blends are cranberry, banana, pear, lychee, melon, passion fruit and especially pineapple. I am also always excited to try anything with Saskatoon Berries, which are delicious and also my city’s namesake. I have a huge weakness towards toffee/caramel and coconut teas and a bit of a soft spot in regard to black licorice. I also adore anything creamy. I am always up for trying soda inspired blends as well because the concept fascinates me. I want to try all the Rootbeer teas! I am also currently trying to try as many Sweet Potato blends as possible.

Tastes I strongly dislike are ginger and raisins. Really, those are the only two things I intentionally avoid. I also have mixed feelings about peaches, mangoes, lemongrass, and chamomile.

In regard to straight teas, I haven’t been nearly as adventurous. I’ve yet to really explore any straight oolongs, except Milk Oolongs which weren’t really for me. In general, I really like straight black teas, especially when they have strong baked bread or malt notes. I like most straight whites, but I have a preference for silver needle teas over other types. Green teas, with the exception of Genmaicha and some Hojicha, make me feel a bit sick and I often can’t finish the cup. I can handle flavoured matcha like Red Leaf Tea sells – but straight matcha is a definite “no go”. I recently survived my first Pu’erh, and it was an alright, maybe borderline enjoyable, experience.

The ratio of cold brewed and hot tea I drink is about 50/50. As far as my cup sizes go, all my daily cold brews are done in a 25 oz. mason jar and my other mugs are 12 oz. with the exception of my Adeline infuser mug which is 16 oz. Unless otherwise specified, these are the cup sizes for all teas I review.

I prefer to drink my tea without adding anything to it, and 9/10 times that will be how I first try a blend. My belief is that milk, sugar or whatever else you add to your tea should be used to enhance an already good flavour: if the tea needs something added to it to taste good then it’s probably not good tea to begin with. The exception is Matcha; I always have my matcha whisked either into cold milk or club soda as “Matcha soda” depending on which way the flavour will be best suited. My roommate, Tre, has a very different philosophy in regard to tea, and that’s to always drown out his cup in sugar – even before tasting to see if it needs any. That’s why I don’t let him drink the good stuff ;)

The other important person in my life is my friend Robyn.

Some brief “IRL” interests: Clay/Sculpture (or visual arts in general), Improv, Mythology, Big Brother (USA and CA), and an absurdly large amount of TV shows – geeky or otherwise.

Saskatoon, SK, Canada