drank Main Squeeze by DAVIDsTEA

Urghhhhh…

I’m so close to snapping. I feel sorry for the next customer who dares do something stupid like interrupt me to ask some stupid question mid sale. I know that’s poor customer service, but you have to understand that today was supposed to be my first day off in fourteen days. Did you get that? FOURTEEN FUCKING DAYS. And, instead of getting to sleep in and relax and be lazy I got a phone call from one of my employees and SIX IN THE FUCKING MORNING saying she couldn’t come in today because she was sick. Of course none of my other employees have the damn availability to fill her shift so that leaves me.

I’m grumpy and super pissed – my nerves are fried and every part of me feels sore. I needed this day off. But I guess I’m not allowed to have nice things… The one thing I’m thankful for, though, is that at least the shift I had to pick up doesn’t overlap with my plans with Robyn to see Catching Fire tonight. I need me some Finnick Odair (mmm, sexy Sam Claflin) and time with one of my only friends in the city.

Anyway, obviously a mate was the tea of choice this morning. With how exhausted I am and all the frayed nerves (I swear my right eye keeps twitching every couple minutes, and then the rest of the time it’s taking all my effort to even keep my eyes open) and energy boost seemed like the perfect idea. And, this is my favourite Mate, atm.

It’s nice and tropical today, but especially “earthy” and mate tasting today too. For prep. I used 2 tsp. for my 12 oz. timolino steeping in boiling water for six minutes. I’m thinking maybe taste wise I should have opted for a shorter steep time – but ‘added energy benefits’ wise I’m happy I went with a longer time so as to leech out all the good mate energy I could.

Hesper June

I am sorry! I hope you hear a kind word to brighten your day soon!

Roswell Strange

Thank you. It probably doesn’t help that, aside from my tea, since taking over as manager three weeks ago my diet has been almost entirely mall food (A&W, Taco Time, etc.). I’m sure I’d be feeling better right now if I was eating a little better – I’m just not spending enough time at home to cook good meals and, when I do have time to cook something, I’m typically completely exhausted from all the work. It’s a vicious cycle :(

keychange

How annoying to have to go in on your day off! Complain all you want here! I hope your day starts to look up.

slow cooker?

yyz

Understand.. I’ve had a couple jobs I lived at ie, cruise ship and when I worked on a Bear Study near Chapleau. At the Bear Study we would work through and then take a week or two off. I think I went 32 days straight once. On the other hand pretty everyone loved the job and we lived in a beautiful and incredible place, and we could take afternoons every once and a while and go rock climbing or biking etc. Towards the end of it I think we were all going a little bit loopy as the bears wandered off to forage for berries and out Boss was forcing us to be home by 6:30 pm ( we could easily stay out much later if he didn’t).

Fjellrev

That sucks, Roswell! I had a manager who always used to have me work 10-14 days in a row and did that to no one else in the store, and on top of that, would stick my 3-4 hour shifts smack in the middle of the day so my life revolved around that damn job. It’s so wrong. I hope you’ll get some time to relax soon!

Roswell Strange

yyz – Damn! I don’t know if I could ever do 32 days. Until this job, the longest I had done was twelve. I guess it’s a little bit different when you’re doing a job you love (and making good money?). I personally hate my job, and though I’m making more than minimum wage now it’s not a whole lot more. I think that makes long stretches like this harder.

Incendiare – I’m not sure where you live, but in my province technically it breaks labour laws to have someone do more than six days in a row. The only reason I’m working so much is because it’s elective (for the most part because I don’t want to be that douchey manager who over works my staff). I’d never schedule my employees for a long stretch like this – and I’m trying to do my very best to meet their availability and give them around the hours they want. It’s just hard when two of three employees have restrictive availability and I’m left to fill in the gap between the times they can work (their availability does not overlap).

I’m supposed to have tomorrow off (if my employee doesn’t call in sick again – she’s working tomorrow too) so maybe I’ll have the chance to rest a bit.

Fjellrev

That’s very noble of you to do that as a manager. As for me, that was in Alberta. You’re supposed to get one day off per week, or two consecutive days off if you worked two consecutive weeks but of course that manager never followed it. Complain and you get your hours cut even more. So I admire you for going over and above instead of taking it out on your employees, but you need to take care of yourself too. :)

yyz

Actually that job was uni internship type job so we made close to minimum and had to pay union dues as well! However we had free room and board to make up for it, and it was the kind of job that people would and did volunteer for. I survived Christmas season at the Body Shop though where are store was the highest grossing store in the mall next to sears. Probably that experience is closer. We were chronically understaffed, and people would volunteer to wrap gifts or take lunch in the stock room just to get away from it all at times. As far as labour laws I’m not sure about Saskatoon but we had to have 36 hrs off in seven days or 3 days off in 17 when I worked for the airline.

Comments

Hesper June

I am sorry! I hope you hear a kind word to brighten your day soon!

keychange

slow cooker?

yyz

Growing up, the only teas I ever drank were bagged mint teas (especially peppermint), and mint still remains a staple flavour for me. My favourite teas are flavoured ones (doesn’t matter if they’re fruity, chocolate, sweet, savory, etc). And thus far in my tea journey, blacks are my favourite as far as flavoured blends go, but I’ve also developed a very strong liking towards mate and whites. For the most part, I really enjoy everything else as well. The exception is green tea – which I very much dislike. I have found a few heavily flavoured greens that I enjoy, but I’m always very wary in trying green blends.

My favourite fruit flavours in regard to tea blends are cranberry, banana, pear, lychee, melon, passion fruit and especially pineapple (pineapple is my favourite fruit). I am also always excited to try anything with Saskatoon Berries, which are delicious and also my city’s namesake. I also have a huge weakness towards toffee/caramel teas and a bit of a soft spot in regard to black licorice. And I adore anything creamy. Since I’ve used flavoured teas as a way to cut out soda from my diet, I am always up for trying soda inspired blends. I want to try all the Rootbeer teas!

Tastes I strongly dislike are ginger (I tend to avoid blends which mention ginger as an ingredient), and raisins (I’ll typically flat out refuse to try anything with raisins – I hate them that much). Really, those are the only two things I intentionally avoid. I also have mixed feelings about peaches, mangoes, lemongrass, and chamomile.

In regard to straight teas, I haven’t been nearly as adventurous. I’ve yet to really explore any straight oolongs, except Milk Oolongs which weren’t really for me. In general, I really like straight black teas, especially when they have strong baked bread or malt notes. I like most straight whites, but I especially adore silver needle teas. Green teas, with the exception of Genmaicha and some Hojicha, make me feel a bit sick and I can’t finish the cup. I can handle flavoured matcha like Red Leaf Tea sells – but straight matcha is a definite “no go”. I recently survived my first Pu’erh, and it was an alright, maybe borderline enjoyable, experience.

As far as cold brewing goes, I do prefer to have my tea hot – but I always keep a selection of herbals and fruit blends to cold steep. I do a daily 25 oz. cold brew which I either have first thing with breakfast or take in a thermos to drink at work, in addition to the hot Timolino(s) I also bring with every work shift. On average, I have six cups of tea a day.

I prefer to drink my tea without adding anything to it, and that’s always how I first try a tea. My belief is that milk, sugar or whatever else you add to your tea should be used to enhance an already good flavour: if the tea needs something added to it to taste good then it’s probably not good tea to begin with. The exception is Matcha; I always have my matcha whisked either into cold milk or club soda as “tea soda” depending on which way the flavour will be best suited. My roommate, Tre, has a very different philosophy in regard to tea, and that’s to always drown out his cup in sugar – even before tasting to see if it needs any. That’s why I don’t let him drink the good stuff ;)

As far as ratings go, I try to rate things comparatively to other teas I’ve tried. If I like it less than something rated, say, a 90 then it wont be rated more than a 90. Instead I’ll try to find a rated tea I like about the same amount and then the tea I’m drinking gets rated that number. If I find I like it in between two rated teas then I’ll rate in a number in between those ratings. I also wont restock anything with a rating lower than 80, unless it’s a bagged tea (but bagged teas need to have a rating of at least 75 for me to consider stocking them).

The other important people in my life, within my new city, are my friends Robyn and Kristina.

Kristina is also a friend from highschool, though not nearly as close. We’ve become much closer since she moved here a few months after I did and we both realized we knew hardly anyone.

She lives less than 10 minutes from my house, and is over here a fairly large amount of time. Recently, she’s also undertaken the huge task of introducing me to Metal music and slowly getting my involved in the metal community here in Saskatoon. It’s a work in progress.

She’s not a tea drinker, but thankfully she’s always excited to hear me ramble and is often really amused by the teas I take with me different places.

I’m very much into clay and sculpture and, if I’m being honest and not modest, I’m really good at it. I also play way too much Pokemon for my own good, and watch more TV than one person should. I’m a huge sap and cry during TV and movies all the time, even if nothing terribly sad is happening.

I’m really wordy and have this tendency to write way more than is necessary or relevant, and that often carries into my tasting notes and reviews.I feel like that probably gets annoying for the people following me…

And, on that note I think I should maybe shut up a little bit now?

Saskatoon, SK, Canada