I feel like I’ve really made the most of my first day off in fourteen days! I managed to pack a whole lot of tea tasting into my day, accomplish some domestic tasks like taking out rent money, doing laundry, and unloading and reloading the dishwasher, and I’ve relaxed (slept in late today), and nearly finished season eight of Supernatural.

So, as I get close to finishing up the season I thought this would be the perfect tea to end my tea tasting day with! As I’m sipping right now, I’m also munching on my favourite brand of veggie/soy burger with some ooey gooey cheese on top and I just feel super content right now! Bring on the next stretch of work! It’s been a good last few days!

This seems to be a really popular Della Terra blend – although admittedly it did not catch my eye at all during my first order. But, when I saw it in Janelle’s cupboard I figured I’d take the opportunity to try some and see what the hype is about.

Dry, I didn’t get the fuss. As I was smelling my sample portion all I was getting was this very faint scent of rooibos. I brewed some anyway though – certain there was something I had to be missing. For brewing, I used 1 level tsp. for 8 oz. of water steeped in boiling water for four minutes. Side note: Every time I see a darkly coloured lemon tea part of me just gets thrown off. I just expect something like lemon to be light and pale yellow in liquid form even though this is really unreasonable and not really all that logical.

The smell was delicious though! So incredible, and such a change from what I was (or rather wasn’t) getting from the dry leaf. The lemon smell somehow manages to be intense and tart while still smooth and creamy. And this translates over into the flavour as well! So good, and I love that it’s caffeine free. I take back my scepticism: this is something I need to have in my cupboard, so if I can get some Friday I sure as hell am going to!

Damn – now I can’t wait to try Lime Chiffon. Usually I love lime flavoured stuff more than lemon so I bet that’ll be awesome too! It’s definitely been a good tea day today :)

Cavocorax

Yes! The lime chiffon is my favourite!
Also, I’m happy you were able to relax and watch Supernatural. I’m only 4 episodes into Season TWO. :(

VariaTEA

In the newest episode, Dean gives quite the speech in an abstinence church group. It is funny watching the new episodes as they air while also watching the first season on netflix because you really notice how the show has changed.

Cavocorax

That’s what I hear! I’m looking forward to seeing where it goes. The 2nd season is already far more entertaining than the first.

Comments

Cavocorax

Yes! The lime chiffon is my favourite!

VariaTEA

Cavocorax

Growing up, the only teas I ever drank were bagged mint teas (especially peppermint), and mint still remains a staple flavour for me. My favourite teas are flavoured ones (doesn’t matter if they’re fruity, chocolate, sweet, savory, etc). And thus far in my tea journey, blacks are my favourite as far as flavoured blends go, but I’ve also developed a very strong liking towards mate and whites. For the most part, I really enjoy everything else as well. The exception is green tea – which I very much dislike. I have found a few heavily flavoured greens that I enjoy, but I’m always very wary in trying green blends.

My favourite fruit flavours in regard to tea blends are cranberry, banana, pear, lychee, melon, passion fruit and especially pineapple (pineapple is my favourite fruit). I am also always excited to try anything with Saskatoon Berries, which are delicious and also my city’s namesake. I also have a huge weakness towards toffee/caramel teas and a bit of a soft spot in regard to black licorice. And I adore anything creamy. Since I’ve used flavoured teas as a way to cut out soda from my diet, I am always up for trying soda inspired blends. I want to try all the Rootbeer teas!

Tastes I strongly dislike are ginger (I tend to avoid blends which mention ginger as an ingredient), and raisins (I’ll typically flat out refuse to try anything with raisins – I hate them that much). Really, those are the only two things I intentionally avoid. I also have mixed feelings about peaches, mangoes, lemongrass, and chamomile.

In regard to straight teas, I haven’t been nearly as adventurous. I’ve yet to really explore any straight oolongs, except Milk Oolongs which weren’t really for me. In general, I really like straight black teas, especially when they have strong baked bread or malt notes. I like most straight whites, but I especially adore silver needle teas. Green teas, with the exception of Genmaicha and some Hojicha, make me feel a bit sick and I can’t finish the cup. I can handle flavoured matcha like Red Leaf Tea sells – but straight matcha is a definite “no go”. I recently survived my first Pu’erh, and it was an alright, maybe borderline enjoyable, experience.

As far as cold brewing goes, I do prefer to have my tea hot – but I always keep a selection of herbals and fruit blends to cold steep. I do a daily 25 oz. cold brew which I either have first thing with breakfast or take in a thermos to drink at work, in addition to the hot Timolino(s) I also bring with every work shift. On average, I have six cups of tea a day.

I prefer to drink my tea without adding anything to it, and that’s always how I first try a tea. My belief is that milk, sugar or whatever else you add to your tea should be used to enhance an already good flavour: if the tea needs something added to it to taste good then it’s probably not good tea to begin with. The exception is Matcha; I always have my matcha whisked either into cold milk or club soda as “tea soda” depending on which way the flavour will be best suited. My roommate, Tre, has a very different philosophy in regard to tea, and that’s to always drown out his cup in sugar – even before tasting to see if it needs any. That’s why I don’t let him drink the good stuff ;)

As far as ratings go, I try to rate things comparatively to other teas I’ve tried. If I like it less than something rated, say, a 90 then it wont be rated more than a 90. Instead I’ll try to find a rated tea I like about the same amount and then the tea I’m drinking gets rated that number. If I find I like it in between two rated teas then I’ll rate in a number in between those ratings. I also wont restock anything with a rating lower than 80, unless it’s a bagged tea (but bagged teas need to have a rating of at least 75 for me to consider stocking them).

The other important people in my life, within my new city, are my friends Robyn and Kristina.

Kristina is also a friend from highschool, though not nearly as close. We’ve become much closer since she moved here a few months after I did and we both realized we knew hardly anyone.

She lives less than 10 minutes from my house, and is over here a fairly large amount of time. Recently, she’s also undertaken the huge task of introducing me to Metal music and slowly getting my involved in the metal community here in Saskatoon. It’s a work in progress.

She’s not a tea drinker, but thankfully she’s always excited to hear me ramble and is often really amused by the teas I take with me different places.

I’m very much into clay and sculpture and, if I’m being honest and not modest, I’m really good at it. I also play way too much Pokemon for my own good, and watch more TV than one person should. I’m a huge sap and cry during TV and movies all the time, even if nothing terribly sad is happening.

I’m really wordy and have this tendency to write way more than is necessary or relevant, and that often carries into my tasting notes and reviews.I feel like that probably gets annoying for the people following me…

And, on that note I think I should maybe shut up a little bit now?

Saskatoon, SK, Canada