I haven’t the faintest idea why, but I’m in a serious “everything is better with milk” mood these last few days in regard to tea. First the Cranberry Pear, and Love Tea #7 too – and now this one. I wasn’t even intending to add milk to this, but next thing I knew I was walking back to my cozy couch and tucking myself into a burrito of blankets all the while holding a mug of this with milk in it. Hmm… Maybe it’s because I’d essentially gone dairy free for two weeks – and now my body is bulking up on it? Or something to that effect?

Anyway – for preparation I steeped 2 tsp. in 8 oz of boiling water. I’m not exactly sure how long the steep time was since I was really zoned out. Basically, I let it steep until it felt right? I also had to seriously shake up my tin, because all of the spearmint had sunk to the bottom.

Taste wise, I’m getting light spearmint which is refreshing and a whole lot of gooseberry (I’m happy about this, too often the gooseberry is hard to find under all the orange). The milk is contributing a thick, creamy mouthfeel and a slightly creamier taste but since this is usually pretty creamsicle like there’s not a whole lot added that wasn’t at least somewhat present before. The sip finishes off with a lingering orange taste that works its way into all the crevices of the mouth. Very relaxing.

In picking a herbal tonight, I realized I actually have a fairly limited selection of herbals – both in fruit blends and otherwise. And, next to nothing on its way to me is herbal either. Something to consider next time I go into DAVIDsTEA or Tea Desire, I suppose. I do have Guava Cadabra on my Christmas list (and if I don’t get any I’ll buy some for myself) and will be getting a sample of Forever Nuts sometime from Robyn. I could also take a trip to McQuarries and look for a herbal blend or two. Anything else I should try from either place?

Oh! And I’m not officially caught up on Supernatural! One hundred percent it feels weird not have more episodes to get through… Time to watch something else, I guess. Do I finally cave and watch all of Doctor Who (and actually in order this time)? I don’t think I’d want to get into Classic Who.

VariaTEA

I am a fan of Mulberry Magic and Pistachio Cream – worth a taste if you haven’t tried it already.

Roswell Strange

I’ve tried Pistachio Cream – it was alright. I’ve thought about trying Mulberry Magic – I love both mulberries and macadamia nuts. Have you tried DT’s Mango Lassi? That’s one that looks kinda interesting too.

VariaTEA

I had a weird experience because when I first tried it, I thought it was really good but then I was sitting next to a teapot of it and something about the smell was just off putting to me. Honestly though I think that is more a reflection on me than the tea because it does taste like mango and it is quite creamy, I think I am just not a huge fan of chamomile.

VariaTEA

It is definitely worth a try though. Especially if you don’t mind chamomile. I sent what I had to Cavo and she is definitely a fan.

Roswell Strange

I only have one chamomile tea right now (David’s Bravissimo), and I keep it stocked because it’s a good licorice tea. I’m not a huge fan of the taste of chamomile but I acknowledge it as a great before bed tea – which is sorta what I’m looking for. I want more fruity herbals to cold brew, and more spice/nutty/actual herb ones for late at night.

Roswell Strange

And Mango Lassi could maybe be both?

VariaTEA

If you want actual herbal, digestif was not bad tbh – it has catnip in it which was strange I thought but it is not a bad tea. I can send you some samples of the fee herbals I have around my apartment if you like.

Roswell Strange

The catnip sounds interesting, and I’m a fan of most of the other listed ingredients (like peppermint and fennel). It’s the ginger root that’s scared me off in the past (not a fan, at all). But it might be worth a try anyway. Anyway, don’t feel obligated to send me anything :P

VariaTEA

I don’t have many David herbals left because I gave away a lot of them but I would be happy to send you a cup or two of the ones I have. Have you tried the herbals that are part of the winter collection? They are Sleigh Ride, Alpine Punch, and White Chocolate Frost.

Roswell Strange

I have White Chocolate Frost all stocked up (couldn’t resist more mint), but haven’t tried the other two. Although, I’m deliberately avoiding Sleigh Ride because of the raisins.

VariaTEA

Oops, Alpine Punch is a rooibos blend.

Roswell Strange

(That makes sense as to why I didn’t see it in the listed herbals last time I took a peak – I figured I’d just skimmed over it)

Comments

VariaTEA

Roswell Strange

And Mango Lassi could maybe be both?

VariaTEA

Oops, Alpine Punch is a rooibos blend.

Roswell Strange

Growing up, the only tea I ever drank was bagged mint tea (especially peppermint), and mint still remains a staple flavour for me. Spearmint is my favourite. At this point in my ‘tea career’ I heavily lean towards flavoured blends; doesn’t matter if they’re fruity, chocolate, sweet, savory, etc. Blacks are my favourite as far as flavoured blends go, with whites a close second. I really enjoy everything but straight Greens though, but I’ll try anything once even if I am wary.

My favourite fruit flavours in blends are cranberry, banana, pear, lychee, melon, passion fruit and especially pineapple. I am also always excited to try anything with Saskatoon Berries, which are delicious and also my city’s namesake. I have a huge weakness towards toffee/caramel and coconut teas and a bit of a soft spot in regard to black licorice. I also adore anything creamy. I am always up for trying soda inspired blends as well because the concept fascinates me. I want to try all the Rootbeer teas! I am also currently trying to try as many Sweet Potato blends as possible.

Tastes I strongly dislike are ginger and raisins. Really, those are the only two things I intentionally avoid. I also have mixed feelings about peaches, mangoes, lemongrass, and chamomile.

In regard to straight teas, I haven’t been nearly as adventurous. I’ve yet to really explore any straight oolongs, except Milk Oolongs which weren’t really for me. In general, I really like straight black teas, especially when they have strong baked bread or malt notes. I like most straight whites, but I have a preference for silver needle teas over other types. Green teas, with the exception of Genmaicha and some Hojicha, make me feel a bit sick and I often can’t finish the cup. I can handle flavoured matcha like Red Leaf Tea sells – but straight matcha is a definite “no go”. I recently survived my first Pu’erh, and it was an alright, maybe borderline enjoyable, experience.

The ratio of cold brewed and hot tea I drink is about 50/50. As far as my cup sizes go, all my daily cold brews are done in a 25 oz. mason jar and my other mugs are 12 oz. with the exception of my Adeline infuser mug which is 16 oz. Unless otherwise specified, these are the cup sizes for all teas I review.

I prefer to drink my tea without adding anything to it, and 9/10 times that will be how I first try a blend. My belief is that milk, sugar or whatever else you add to your tea should be used to enhance an already good flavour: if the tea needs something added to it to taste good then it’s probably not good tea to begin with. The exception is Matcha; I always have my matcha whisked either into cold milk or club soda as “Matcha soda” depending on which way the flavour will be best suited. My roommate, Tre, has a very different philosophy in regard to tea, and that’s to always drown out his cup in sugar – even before tasting to see if it needs any. That’s why I don’t let him drink the good stuff ;)

The other important person in my life is my friend Robyn.

Some brief “IRL” interests: Clay/Sculpture (or visual arts in general), Improv, Mythology, Big Brother (USA and CA), and an absurdly large amount of TV shows – geeky or otherwise.

Saskatoon, SK, Canada