I haven’t the faintest idea why, but I’m in a serious “everything is better with milk” mood these last few days in regard to tea. First the Cranberry Pear, and Love Tea #7 too – and now this one. I wasn’t even intending to add milk to this, but next thing I knew I was walking back to my cozy couch and tucking myself into a burrito of blankets all the while holding a mug of this with milk in it. Hmm… Maybe it’s because I’d essentially gone dairy free for two weeks – and now my body is bulking up on it? Or something to that effect?

Anyway – for preparation I steeped 2 tsp. in 8 oz of boiling water. I’m not exactly sure how long the steep time was since I was really zoned out. Basically, I let it steep until it felt right? I also had to seriously shake up my tin, because all of the spearmint had sunk to the bottom.

Taste wise, I’m getting light spearmint which is refreshing and a whole lot of gooseberry (I’m happy about this, too often the gooseberry is hard to find under all the orange). The milk is contributing a thick, creamy mouthfeel and a slightly creamier taste but since this is usually pretty creamsicle like there’s not a whole lot added that wasn’t at least somewhat present before. The sip finishes off with a lingering orange taste that works its way into all the crevices of the mouth. Very relaxing.

In picking a herbal tonight, I realized I actually have a fairly limited selection of herbals – both in fruit blends and otherwise. And, next to nothing on its way to me is herbal either. Something to consider next time I go into DAVIDsTEA or Tea Desire, I suppose. I do have Guava Cadabra on my Christmas list (and if I don’t get any I’ll buy some for myself) and will be getting a sample of Forever Nuts sometime from Robyn. I could also take a trip to McQuarries and look for a herbal blend or two. Anything else I should try from either place?

Oh! And I’m not officially caught up on Supernatural! One hundred percent it feels weird not have more episodes to get through… Time to watch something else, I guess. Do I finally cave and watch all of Doctor Who (and actually in order this time)? I don’t think I’d want to get into Classic Who.

VariaTEA

I am a fan of Mulberry Magic and Pistachio Cream – worth a taste if you haven’t tried it already.

Roswell Strange

I’ve tried Pistachio Cream – it was alright. I’ve thought about trying Mulberry Magic – I love both mulberries and macadamia nuts. Have you tried DT’s Mango Lassi? That’s one that looks kinda interesting too.

VariaTEA

I had a weird experience because when I first tried it, I thought it was really good but then I was sitting next to a teapot of it and something about the smell was just off putting to me. Honestly though I think that is more a reflection on me than the tea because it does taste like mango and it is quite creamy, I think I am just not a huge fan of chamomile.

VariaTEA

It is definitely worth a try though. Especially if you don’t mind chamomile. I sent what I had to Cavo and she is definitely a fan.

Roswell Strange

I only have one chamomile tea right now (David’s Bravissimo), and I keep it stocked because it’s a good licorice tea. I’m not a huge fan of the taste of chamomile but I acknowledge it as a great before bed tea – which is sorta what I’m looking for. I want more fruity herbals to cold brew, and more spice/nutty/actual herb ones for late at night.

Roswell Strange

And Mango Lassi could maybe be both?

VariaTEA

If you want actual herbal, digestif was not bad tbh – it has catnip in it which was strange I thought but it is not a bad tea. I can send you some samples of the fee herbals I have around my apartment if you like.

Roswell Strange

The catnip sounds interesting, and I’m a fan of most of the other listed ingredients (like peppermint and fennel). It’s the ginger root that’s scared me off in the past (not a fan, at all). But it might be worth a try anyway. Anyway, don’t feel obligated to send me anything :P

VariaTEA

I don’t have many David herbals left because I gave away a lot of them but I would be happy to send you a cup or two of the ones I have. Have you tried the herbals that are part of the winter collection? They are Sleigh Ride, Alpine Punch, and White Chocolate Frost.

Roswell Strange

I have White Chocolate Frost all stocked up (couldn’t resist more mint), but haven’t tried the other two. Although, I’m deliberately avoiding Sleigh Ride because of the raisins.

VariaTEA

Oops, Alpine Punch is a rooibos blend.

Roswell Strange

(That makes sense as to why I didn’t see it in the listed herbals last time I took a peak – I figured I’d just skimmed over it)

Comments

VariaTEA

Roswell Strange

And Mango Lassi could maybe be both?

VariaTEA

Oops, Alpine Punch is a rooibos blend.

Roswell Strange

Growing up, the only teas I ever drank were bagged mint teas (especially peppermint), and mint still remains a staple flavour for me. My favourite teas are flavoured ones (doesn’t matter if they’re fruity, chocolate, sweet, savory, etc). And thus far in my tea journey, blacks are my favourite as far as flavoured blends go, but I’ve also developed a very strong liking towards mate and whites. For the most part, I really enjoy everything else as well. The exception is green tea – which I very much dislike. I have found a few heavily flavoured greens that I enjoy, but I’m always very wary in trying green blends.

My favourite fruit flavours in regard to tea blends are cranberry, banana, pear, lychee, melon, passion fruit and especially pineapple (pineapple is my favourite fruit). I am also always excited to try anything with Saskatoon Berries, which are delicious and also my city’s namesake. I also have a huge weakness towards toffee/caramel teas and a bit of a soft spot in regard to black licorice. And I adore anything creamy. Since I’ve used flavoured teas as a way to cut out soda from my diet, I am always up for trying soda inspired blends. I want to try all the Rootbeer teas!

Tastes I strongly dislike are ginger (I tend to avoid blends which mention ginger as an ingredient), and raisins (I’ll typically flat out refuse to try anything with raisins – I hate them that much). Really, those are the only two things I intentionally avoid. I also have mixed feelings about peaches, mangoes, lemongrass, and chamomile.

In regard to straight teas, I haven’t been nearly as adventurous. I’ve yet to really explore any straight oolongs, except Milk Oolongs which weren’t really for me. In general, I really like straight black teas, especially when they have strong baked bread or malt notes. I like most straight whites, but I especially adore silver needle teas. Green teas, with the exception of Genmaicha and some Hojicha, make me feel a bit sick and I can’t finish the cup. I can handle flavoured matcha like Red Leaf Tea sells – but straight matcha is a definite “no go”. I recently survived my first Pu’erh, and it was an alright, maybe borderline enjoyable, experience.

As far as cold brewing goes, I do prefer to have my tea hot – but I always keep a selection of herbals and fruit blends to cold steep. I do a daily 25 oz. cold brew which I either have first thing with breakfast or take in a thermos to drink at work, in addition to the hot Timolino(s) I also bring with every work shift. On average, I have six cups of tea a day.

I prefer to drink my tea without adding anything to it, and that’s always how I first try a tea. My belief is that milk, sugar or whatever else you add to your tea should be used to enhance an already good flavour: if the tea needs something added to it to taste good then it’s probably not good tea to begin with. The exception is Matcha; I always have my matcha whisked either into cold milk or club soda as “tea soda” depending on which way the flavour will be best suited. My roommate, Tre, has a very different philosophy in regard to tea, and that’s to always drown out his cup in sugar – even before tasting to see if it needs any. That’s why I don’t let him drink the good stuff ;)

As far as ratings go, I try to rate things comparatively to other teas I’ve tried. If I like it less than something rated, say, a 90 then it wont be rated more than a 90. Instead I’ll try to find a rated tea I like about the same amount and then the tea I’m drinking gets rated that number. If I find I like it in between two rated teas then I’ll rate in a number in between those ratings. I also wont restock anything with a rating lower than 80, unless it’s a bagged tea (but bagged teas need to have a rating of at least 75 for me to consider stocking them).

The other important people in my life, within my new city, are my friends Robyn and Kristina.

Kristina is also a friend from highschool, though not nearly as close. We’ve become much closer since she moved here a few months after I did and we both realized we knew hardly anyone.

She lives less than 10 minutes from my house, and is over here a fairly large amount of time. Recently, she’s also undertaken the huge task of introducing me to Metal music and slowly getting my involved in the metal community here in Saskatoon. It’s a work in progress.

She’s not a tea drinker, but thankfully she’s always excited to hear me ramble and is often really amused by the teas I take with me different places.

I’m very much into clay and sculpture and, if I’m being honest and not modest, I’m really good at it. I also play way too much Pokemon for my own good, and watch more TV than one person should. I’m a huge sap and cry during TV and movies all the time, even if nothing terribly sad is happening.

I’m really wordy and have this tendency to write way more than is necessary or relevant, and that often carries into my tasting notes and reviews.I feel like that probably gets annoying for the people following me…

And, on that note I think I should maybe shut up a little bit now?

Saskatoon, SK, Canada