For whatever reason, my apartment is just FREEZING right now (or maybe it’s that I just haven’t armed up yet from my excursion outside). That’s making it really easy to drink some of my new teas though, since I just want something hot in my hands at all times. I’ve been meaning to try this for a while now – but I’m always kind of hesitant because it’s a green tea and I know I’m just not a fan of green tea. I almost didn’t order it at all when I put in my order, but it’s so highly rated and I’ve heard so many good things, and ultimately I was too curious to resist trying an eggnog tea.

Dry, I don’t smell eggnog but I DO smell this sort of ridiculously vanilla creamy smell. Basically I’m being reminded smell wise of the French Vanilla double churned extra creamy ice cream that Breyer’s sells. I’m not sure if I really want to be reminded of something so cold when I’m already freezing, but it smells amazing and I’m dying to try it out.

I’m sticking to the package brewing instructions for this one. Honestly, I’m skeptical and hopeful. There are some flavoured greens that I do like, and I’m hoping this will be one of them.

As it’s steeping, the smell is getting incredibly strong and it’s so, so creamy and smooth and silky vanilla smelling. I do get a little bit of the green tea, but it’s not unpleasant either. The closer it gets to four minutes, the more I just want to devour and start drinking this! Mind you, this does not smell like eggnog to me, but it does smell delicious and creamy and wonderful.

Times is up and I’m finally sipping at this now! I did notice the green base right away, but that’s probably because it’s a taste I don’t often like and so I was very alert to it since I was so wary – but it appears I didn’t need to be, because the base tastes fine. Immediately following, I was flooded with what I can only describe as hot, liquid, Breyer’s double churned French vanilla icecream! So smooth, silky, and creamy! I’ve been a little disappointed that this is not more like eggnog, but the delicious taste I just experienced more than makes up for any disappointed I was harbouring. Mmmm, so good!

I guess I’ve found yet another flavoured green I can welcome into my collection. Now, I wonder how well this resteeps…

EDIT: I resteeped this the same way I had made the first cup, but with an extra minute of steep time. However, upon tasting I noticed the vanilla creaminess was significantly damped and the green tea was much more prominent (boo) – so I added some milk to it hoping to bring out the creaminess as taper the vegetal aspects.

And I did just that :)

Growing up, the only tea I ever drank was bagged mint tea (especially peppermint), and mint still remains a staple flavour for me. Spearmint is my favourite. At this point in my ‘tea career’ I heavily lean towards flavoured blends; doesn’t matter if they’re fruity, chocolate, sweet, savory, etc. Blacks are my favourite as far as flavoured blends go, with whites a close second. I really enjoy everything but straight Greens though, but I’ll try anything once even if I am wary.

My favourite fruit flavours in blends are cranberry, banana, pear, lychee, melon, passion fruit and especially pineapple. I am also always excited to try anything with Saskatoon Berries, which are delicious and also my city’s namesake. I have a huge weakness towards toffee/caramel and coconut teas and a bit of a soft spot in regard to black licorice. I also adore anything creamy. I am always up for trying soda inspired blends as well because the concept fascinates me. I want to try all the Rootbeer teas! I am also currently trying to try as many Sweet Potato blends as possible.

Tastes I strongly dislike are ginger and raisins. Really, those are the only two things I intentionally avoid. I also have mixed feelings about peaches, mangoes, lemongrass, and chamomile.

In regard to straight teas, I haven’t been nearly as adventurous. I’ve yet to really explore any straight oolongs, except Milk Oolongs which weren’t really for me. In general, I really like straight black teas, especially when they have strong baked bread or malt notes. I like most straight whites, but I have a preference for silver needle teas over other types. Green teas, with the exception of Genmaicha and some Hojicha, make me feel a bit sick and I often can’t finish the cup. I can handle flavoured matcha like Red Leaf Tea sells – but straight matcha is a definite “no go”. I recently survived my first Pu’erh, and it was an alright, maybe borderline enjoyable, experience.

The ratio of cold brewed and hot tea I drink is about 50/50. As far as my cup sizes go, all my daily cold brews are done in a 25 oz. mason jar and my other mugs are 12 oz. with the exception of my Adeline infuser mug which is 16 oz. Unless otherwise specified, these are the cup sizes for all teas I review.

I prefer to drink my tea without adding anything to it, and 9/10 times that will be how I first try a blend. My belief is that milk, sugar or whatever else you add to your tea should be used to enhance an already good flavour: if the tea needs something added to it to taste good then it’s probably not good tea to begin with. The exception is Matcha; I always have my matcha whisked either into cold milk or club soda as “Matcha soda” depending on which way the flavour will be best suited. My roommate, Tre, has a very different philosophy in regard to tea, and that’s to always drown out his cup in sugar – even before tasting to see if it needs any. That’s why I don’t let him drink the good stuff ;)

The other important person in my life is my friend Robyn.

Some brief “IRL” interests: Clay/Sculpture (or visual arts in general), Improv, Mythology, Big Brother (USA and CA), and an absurdly large amount of TV shows – geeky or otherwise.

Saskatoon, SK, Canada