drank Mate Mint by Tea Desire
1935 tasting notes

Eurrhhhhgggg…

Well, I successfully was the perfect employee/manager for three+ hours today! Basically, my boss’s (the district manager) boss (the head of the company) is doing his yearly “rounds” and visiting every branch in the country, and today was my day…

I had no idea when he’d be here, so for three plus hours I did everything I should have been doing anyway that I normally just… don’t. That included greeting every single customer, asking if they could be helped and reciting the stupid line “and if you have any questions, definitely don’t be afraid to ask” to every single one and then offering everyone a wallet calendar and giving, again, another stupid speech ("on the front is our company website and toll free number, and on the back you’ll find all of the dates for 2014). And all the while nursing a sickeningly sweet smile and “soft” voice (because having a soft voice makes you “more approachable and less intimidating”).

I know – this is my job and I’m complaining an awfully lot about things I should be doing anyway, but it’s just draining forcing a chipper attitude (and speaking in a voice that is not my natural one) for hours on end, especially when I’m listening to the same fucking Christmas carols play on repeat all day every day and nursing a killer migraine…

However, I think they were both very satisfied with my guest service and I was able to masterfully answer all their questions about stock shipments, facing our products, general reception from the seniors in the mall, what we sell lots of and what we don’t sell lots of – among other things.

I’m just so glad that I had my mate with me, because I’m just super drained. I’ve had an awful nights sleep the last two days and despite eating more healthy the last week or so compared to how I usually eat I just feel weak and malnourished. I’m wondering if I might be getting sick – and I really hope that’s not the case because I just don’t have the time to be sick.

Anyway, this tea is a miracle worker! It’s keeping me awake, the mint is helping to curb hunger pains (seven hour shift with no food), and just tastes great in general! I don’t think, for the day, I could have made a better choice in mate!

keychange

I love how real your posts are. And your package goes out on Tues or wed—sorry for the delay, but right now your baggies are only labeled in braille! (taking them to work tomorrow though to get a “sighty” to write on them haha)

Roswell Strange

No worries or rush! And thank you; I strive for realness! I’d like to think I’m very real with my employees – they’re kept up to date on all the promos going on and know the expectations that the company has for them (ie. stupid wallet calendars), but they also know my attitude towards these things, especially the wallet calendars, is that ultimately it doesn’t matter as long as you’re knowledgeable of the product, available if someone needs help, and keeping the kiosk clean. Other than that, I leave it up to them if they want to push the products that are being featured in promos or hand out the blasted wallet calendars. It’s the same way where I know all the things I’m supposed to say about the products to sell them, but I will never deliberately lie to someone to make a sale. If they asked if I’ve played the game and I haven’t I will say that, and if I can see someone has a limited budget I’m going to work with them to find something that fits it – not keep pressuring them to buy more expensive games because they’re “better”. I think that’s appreciated more by people who are shopping. At the very least, I know that’s how I’d personally want to be treated…

keychange

Absolutely. A practical SA is always referable to one who’s unrealistic, fake, or unde immense pressure to make you buy more than you’re comfortable with.

Fjellrev

Ugh, I don’t understand why so many companies push that kind of “customer service” because it’s not always the best way to attract business. It comes across ingenuous most of the time anyway, and doesn’t do anyone any good. Sigh.

At one of my previous jobs, I eventually developed my own technique (ie. chill the hell out and get a sense for the customer’s personality) and I sold more stuff than anyone else, manager included. Yet the manager would still pull me aside and tell me to dance around, be loud, aggressive, and obnoxious, push products, ask customers how they’re doing every two minutes, etc. Like uhhhh, seriously? So you want me to make the company less money then?

Comments

keychange

Roswell Strange

Fjellrev

Growing up, the only tea I ever drank was bagged mint tea (especially peppermint), and mint still remains a staple flavour for me. Spearmint is my favourite. At this point in my ‘tea career’ I heavily lean towards flavoured blends; doesn’t matter if they’re fruity, chocolate, sweet, savory, etc. Blacks are my favourite as far as flavoured blends go, with whites a close second. I really enjoy everything but straight Greens though, but I’ll try anything once even if I am wary.

My favourite fruit flavours in blends are cranberry, banana, pear, lychee, melon, passion fruit and especially pineapple. I am also always excited to try anything with Saskatoon Berries, which are delicious and also my city’s namesake. I have a huge weakness towards toffee/caramel and coconut teas and a bit of a soft spot in regard to black licorice. I also adore anything creamy. I am always up for trying soda inspired blends as well because the concept fascinates me. I want to try all the Rootbeer teas! I am also currently trying to try as many Sweet Potato blends as possible.

Tastes I strongly dislike are ginger and raisins. Really, those are the only two things I intentionally avoid. I also have mixed feelings about peaches, mangoes, lemongrass, and chamomile.

In regard to straight teas, I haven’t been nearly as adventurous. I’ve yet to really explore any straight oolongs, except Milk Oolongs which weren’t really for me. In general, I really like straight black teas, especially when they have strong baked bread or malt notes. I like most straight whites, but I have a preference for silver needle teas over other types. Green teas, with the exception of Genmaicha and some Hojicha, make me feel a bit sick and I often can’t finish the cup. I can handle flavoured matcha like Red Leaf Tea sells – but straight matcha is a definite “no go”. I recently survived my first Pu’erh, and it was an alright, maybe borderline enjoyable, experience.

The ratio of cold brewed and hot tea I drink is about 50/50. As far as my cup sizes go, all my daily cold brews are done in a 25 oz. mason jar and my other mugs are 12 oz. with the exception of my Adeline infuser mug which is 16 oz. Unless otherwise specified, these are the cup sizes for all teas I review.

I prefer to drink my tea without adding anything to it, and 9/10 times that will be how I first try a blend. My belief is that milk, sugar or whatever else you add to your tea should be used to enhance an already good flavour: if the tea needs something added to it to taste good then it’s probably not good tea to begin with. The exception is Matcha; I always have my matcha whisked either into cold milk or club soda as “Matcha soda” depending on which way the flavour will be best suited. My roommate, Tre, has a very different philosophy in regard to tea, and that’s to always drown out his cup in sugar – even before tasting to see if it needs any. That’s why I don’t let him drink the good stuff ;)

The other important person in my life is my friend Robyn.

Some brief “IRL” interests: Clay/Sculpture (or visual arts in general), Improv, Mythology, Big Brother (USA and CA), and an absurdly large amount of TV shows – geeky or otherwise.

Saskatoon, SK, Canada