This is the last of the Butiki teas to try out of my first order (disregarding samples), although once my BF order arrives I’ll have six more new ones to dig through. I’m not exactly sure why I left this one for last: it certainly wasn’t a conscious decision. I actually had meant to try it yesterday, but wound up running out of time. That’s ok though, I have enough time before I work today (I’m an idiot and gave myself a stupid three hour shift start at six, for reasons I can’t remember) to sit down and enjoy a cup of it without feeling rushed.

I like the idea of a “pumpkin milkshake” because it’s focusing on the creaminess there without becoming fixated on spices. I don’t think every pumpkin teas needs to focus on spices – there are so many other equally good ways to enjoy pumpkin! Like pumpkin pie with vanilla icecream… Akin to a milkshake ;)

Dry, I definitely smell the pumpkin and the vanilla! Similar to what I get with Vanilla Frosted Carrot Cake, there’s also a “damp dirt after a heavy rain storm” type smell. I should copy my description from my tasting note on VFCC here because I think I managed to word it really well there. But, even though it smells like ‘dirt’ it’s the best kind of dirt possible! It’s like, “fresh air, and the earth at the most calm and peaceful of times”. The calm after the storm…

I steeped 1 1/2 tsp. of leaf into 10 oz. of water at 170 degrees for four minutes. The smell of the steeped tea is practically identical to the smell of the dry leaf, minus the whole dirt thing. I love when that happens (and it really does happen nearly all the time with Butiki teas)!

Taste wise, this has really delectable pumpkin notes married with natural vanilla flavour and a thick mouthfeel. I get a little bit of spice in the tail of the sip, but it’s not a spice overload. I’m looking for the caramel notes like stated in the product description, and they’re very subtly worked into the tea. I bet with a little bit of added cream or milk this would be even more like a milkshake, but it’s fine plain too.

I think this is something I want to keep stocked in my cupboard, but in small quantity. It’s a very nice, delicate, and creamy tea but not something I see myself reaching for on a daily basis. A very nice treat, though!

Fjellrev

Petrichor! I love that smell, but am trying to imagine a tea smelling like that.

Roswell Strange

Haha, is that what that smell is called? I was trying to describe it to my roommate and I ended up saying something to the affect of “it smells like dirt, but good dirt!”, and he just answered back “tea is stupid”. Hmmph.

What do roommates know!

Indigobloom

Gah! tell him to take it back lol

Comments

Fjellrev

Roswell Strange

What do roommates know!

Indigobloom

Gah! tell him to take it back lol

Growing up, the only tea I ever drank was bagged mint tea (especially peppermint), and mint still remains a staple flavour for me. Spearmint is my favourite. At this point in my ‘tea career’ I heavily lean towards flavoured blends; doesn’t matter if they’re fruity, chocolate, sweet, savory, etc. Blacks are my favourite as far as flavoured blends go, with whites a close second. I really enjoy everything but straight Greens though, but I’ll try anything once even if I am wary.

My favourite fruit flavours in blends are cranberry, banana, pear, lychee, melon, passion fruit and especially pineapple. I am also always excited to try anything with Saskatoon Berries, which are delicious and also my city’s namesake. I have a huge weakness towards toffee/caramel and coconut teas and a bit of a soft spot in regard to black licorice. I also adore anything creamy. I am always up for trying soda inspired blends as well because the concept fascinates me. I want to try all the Rootbeer teas! I am also currently trying to try as many Sweet Potato blends as possible.

Tastes I strongly dislike are ginger and raisins. Really, those are the only two things I intentionally avoid. I also have mixed feelings about peaches, mangoes, lemongrass, and chamomile.

In regard to straight teas, I haven’t been nearly as adventurous. I’ve yet to really explore any straight oolongs, except Milk Oolongs which weren’t really for me. In general, I really like straight black teas, especially when they have strong baked bread or malt notes. I like most straight whites, but I have a preference for silver needle teas over other types. Green teas, with the exception of Genmaicha and some Hojicha, make me feel a bit sick and I often can’t finish the cup. I can handle flavoured matcha like Red Leaf Tea sells – but straight matcha is a definite “no go”. I recently survived my first Pu’erh, and it was an alright, maybe borderline enjoyable, experience.

The ratio of cold brewed and hot tea I drink is about 50/50. As far as my cup sizes go, all my daily cold brews are done in a 25 oz. mason jar and my other mugs are 12 oz. with the exception of my Adeline infuser mug which is 16 oz. Unless otherwise specified, these are the cup sizes for all teas I review.

I prefer to drink my tea without adding anything to it, and 9/10 times that will be how I first try a blend. My belief is that milk, sugar or whatever else you add to your tea should be used to enhance an already good flavour: if the tea needs something added to it to taste good then it’s probably not good tea to begin with. The exception is Matcha; I always have my matcha whisked either into cold milk or club soda as “Matcha soda” depending on which way the flavour will be best suited. My roommate, Tre, has a very different philosophy in regard to tea, and that’s to always drown out his cup in sugar – even before tasting to see if it needs any. That’s why I don’t let him drink the good stuff ;)

The other important person in my life is my friend Robyn.

Some brief “IRL” interests: Clay/Sculpture (or visual arts in general), Improv, Mythology, Big Brother (USA and CA), and an absurdly large amount of TV shows – geeky or otherwise.

Saskatoon, SK, Canada