Sometimes it’s impossible to communicate how much I hate working in retail sales, like today for example. Our debit/credit pad is broken (again) which means we can only accept cash transactions for the time being. 90% of people are genuinely very accepting and patient, but it’s the other 10% that just make me feel awful.

At this point, after only being two hours and 30 minutes into a four hour shift, I’ve had three people flat out say “Fuck You” to me, one person literally just dropped the calendars she was going to buy on the floor (and then walked away without a word), and one person demanded to see the manager. I just so happen to be the manager, so when I (I thought rather nicely and patiently, given the shift I’m having and his attitude) told him that he responded rather cruelly with “You can’t be the manager – you’re too young! You just don’t want to get in trouble!”. Get in trouble for what exactly?

Like, I get that it’s an inconvenience for people (it’s inconvenient for me as well): everyone wants to get their Christmas shopping done as soon as possible and not everyone carries cash with them. However, I’ve done and am doing everything I can – including troubleshooting the pad for the first hour of my shift, contacting our tech repair guy while doing this and reporting the problem and arranging for someone to come in to fix it (they wont be here until tomorrow morning), and letting every single person know that the pad isn’t working as they approach the till. It’s not my fault it broke, and I’m doing my best. Please don’t take your frustration out on the sales person.

That’s an attitude everyone should have in any kind of sales position: whether it’s at the movies, dealing with waiters or similar at restaurants or shopping at the mall (etc.). Most of us work horrible hours for minimum wage – and that certainly isn’t enough to deal with your bullshit.

Anyway – ranting and frustration aside – I’m very thankful to have a hot timolino full of this to sip on in between terrible customers. It’s creamy and buttery and delicious, and the perfect comforting drink for this stressful day. I feel like I got some extra coconut taste today – which is awesome! It’d be perfect, really, if my timolino wasn’t retaining the smell of that awful swill from yesterday that was Currant Affair. At least it’s not retaining the taste, right? That’s a positive.

oh gawd…that sounds awful. So glad you have your tea.

keychange

Wow. I’m always so shocked hwen I hear horror stories like this. I’m so sorry your shift is so shitty, but am glad your tea is keeping you warm company. I thought of you while I had my Boston blend from h and s today (because I think you’d like it), and hope your day picks up soon!

Fjellrev

Ugh, yeah, it’s your fault because you planned to inconvenience them. Makes you wonder what these jerks have done for a living.

Roswell Strange

I’m finally home and off from work. I’m not a religious person, but with all the shit I dealt with today I said a quick little prayer for my employee taking over for me. I’ve decided my reward for an awful day will be to try out a new tea and to eat some of the baking I’ll be doing (Tre finally bought eggs, so I can start my Christmas baking for my family – though I wasn’t going to eat any of the stuff I make tonight). Honestly, I’ve dealt with worse people when I worked at the movie theatre, but somehow it just seemed more personal today…

Cavocorax

That’s brutal. :( I’m sorry people are so inconsiderate. These things just happen. It’s not like you’re trying to sabotage their shopping experience.

MissB

I used to work retail in my late teens and early 20s, and was always the manager. I always used to take pride when folks would ask to speak with The Manager, and I could say, “You’ve got her!” Of course, they’d always be rude and disrespectful (once I even had to call the police on a customer, it was so bad), and I would just kill them with sweetness and kindness. If it helps? I found most people just wanted to be heard. When I let people vent for a few minutes, heard their concerns, and then tried to figure out how to help them… 9 times out of 10, I was able to exceed their needs and expectations. One lady just LOST it on me, and I found out it was because her Mom had just passed, and a staffer had chopped up her video rental card. I listened to her vent, and then took that card, had it framed, and sent it to the customer. She was a customer for life (while video stores still existed, heh) although it was really uncomfortable and upsetting during the whole incident.

Anyway. Novel over. I hear your frustration, and feel for you! I hope it gets better, fast, and that the joy of the season gets imbued into your work sooner rather than later.

Comments

oh gawd…that sounds awful. So glad you have your tea.

keychange

Fjellrev

Roswell Strange

Cavocorax

MissB

Growing up, the only teas I ever drank were bagged mint teas (especially peppermint), and mint still remains a staple flavour for me. My favourite teas are flavoured ones (doesn’t matter if they’re fruity, chocolate, sweet, savory, etc). And thus far in my tea journey, blacks are my favourite as far as flavoured blends go, but I’ve also developed a very strong liking towards mate and whites. For the most part, I really enjoy everything else as well. The exception is green tea – which I very much dislike. I have found a few heavily flavoured greens that I enjoy, but I’m always very wary in trying green blends.

My favourite fruit flavours in regard to tea blends are cranberry, banana, pear, lychee, melon, passion fruit and especially pineapple (pineapple is my favourite fruit). I am also always excited to try anything with Saskatoon Berries, which are delicious and also my city’s namesake. I also have a huge weakness towards toffee/caramel teas and a bit of a soft spot in regard to black licorice. And I adore anything creamy. Since I’ve used flavoured teas as a way to cut out soda from my diet, I am always up for trying soda inspired blends. I want to try all the Rootbeer teas!

Tastes I strongly dislike are ginger (I tend to avoid blends which mention ginger as an ingredient), and raisins (I’ll typically flat out refuse to try anything with raisins – I hate them that much). Really, those are the only two things I intentionally avoid. I also have mixed feelings about peaches, mangoes, lemongrass, and chamomile.

In regard to straight teas, I haven’t been nearly as adventurous. I’ve yet to really explore any straight oolongs, except Milk Oolongs which weren’t really for me. In general, I really like straight black teas, especially when they have strong baked bread or malt notes. I like most straight whites, but I especially adore silver needle teas. Green teas, with the exception of Genmaicha and some Hojicha, make me feel a bit sick and I can’t finish the cup. I can handle flavoured matcha like Red Leaf Tea sells – but straight matcha is a definite “no go”. I recently survived my first Pu’erh, and it was an alright, maybe borderline enjoyable, experience.

As far as cold brewing goes, I do prefer to have my tea hot – but I always keep a selection of herbals and fruit blends to cold steep. I do a daily 25 oz. cold brew which I either have first thing with breakfast or take in a thermos to drink at work, in addition to the hot Timolino(s) I also bring with every work shift. On average, I have six cups of tea a day.

I prefer to drink my tea without adding anything to it, and that’s always how I first try a tea. My belief is that milk, sugar or whatever else you add to your tea should be used to enhance an already good flavour: if the tea needs something added to it to taste good then it’s probably not good tea to begin with. The exception is Matcha; I always have my matcha whisked either into cold milk or club soda as “tea soda” depending on which way the flavour will be best suited. My roommate, Tre, has a very different philosophy in regard to tea, and that’s to always drown out his cup in sugar – even before tasting to see if it needs any. That’s why I don’t let him drink the good stuff ;)

As far as ratings go, I try to rate things comparatively to other teas I’ve tried. If I like it less than something rated, say, a 90 then it wont be rated more than a 90. Instead I’ll try to find a rated tea I like about the same amount and then the tea I’m drinking gets rated that number. If I find I like it in between two rated teas then I’ll rate in a number in between those ratings. I also wont restock anything with a rating lower than 80, unless it’s a bagged tea (but bagged teas need to have a rating of at least 75 for me to consider stocking them).

The other important people in my life, within my new city, are my friends Robyn and Kristina.

Kristina is also a friend from highschool, though not nearly as close. We’ve become much closer since she moved here a few months after I did and we both realized we knew hardly anyone.

She lives less than 10 minutes from my house, and is over here a fairly large amount of time. Recently, she’s also undertaken the huge task of introducing me to Metal music and slowly getting my involved in the metal community here in Saskatoon. It’s a work in progress.

She’s not a tea drinker, but thankfully she’s always excited to hear me ramble and is often really amused by the teas I take with me different places.

I’m very much into clay and sculpture and, if I’m being honest and not modest, I’m really good at it. I also play way too much Pokemon for my own good, and watch more TV than one person should. I’m a huge sap and cry during TV and movies all the time, even if nothing terribly sad is happening.

I’m really wordy and have this tendency to write way more than is necessary or relevant, and that often carries into my tasting notes and reviews.I feel like that probably gets annoying for the people following me…

And, on that note I think I should maybe shut up a little bit now?

Saskatoon, SK, Canada