Yay! My family is here and we’re celebrating Christmas! Although, the “not yay” part is that my mom is being really bitter about her recent break up with ‘he who shall not be named’ – and I literally mean he shall not be named, I’ve been forbidden from even saying his name. Anyway, lots of yummy baking and such.

As part of our Christmas traditions, we all opened a present early on “Christmas Eve”. For me, that meant I got 50g of DAVIDsTEA’s Jessie’s Tea and 50g of DAVIDsTEA’s Guava Cadabra! I was only expecting to get one kind of tea, so I’m definitely a happy camper!

Also, my brother leaked to me that my Dad (who I wont see until January) picked up the DAVIDsTEA Christmas sampler pack for me, which I SPECIFICALLY said not to do because I already own more than half of the teas in it (in large quantity – 100g of Gingerbread and 190g of Choconut Oolong because Tre bought me 50g of that for Christmas too – and I already had 140g of it), and the third is one I don’t enjoy at all. I’m actually kind of pissed off about it, honestly, because the last time I saw him in person was the day before the Christmas teas came out and I made a BIG deal of telling him I was going to be buying them to try for myself, and the last time we talked on the phone he asked what I wanted for Christmas and I mentioned that if he was even thinking of getting me tea I had already sent a list of blends I wanted but did not have to my mom and he could check with her. Otherwise, I DID NOT want him to pick something out because it was too risky because I have so many DAVIDsTEA blends and he has no idea of knowing what I do and don’t have. He didn’t listen at all.

So, I’m basically begging my brother to convince him to return it. Maybe it makes me an awful person, but I don’t think I can even fake being happy about receiving it. I told him to tell Dad whatever he needed to in order to make that gift go away, be it that someone else already gave the exact same thing to me (he could say that was the present Tre bought me – he’d never know any better) or that he saw my collection and I own everything already (not a total lie). I was very specific about receiving tea this year, so whatever it takes…

Anyway, on to this one…

I recieved this as a sample from Red Leaf Tea and wasn’t really planning on trying it currently because my mom was supposed to be bringing actual eggnog (but she forgot). However, my mom wanted a Christmas tea to drink and since there was no eggnog in the house I listed this as one of the options (I did not list Butiki’s Creamy Eggnog though because I do not have a lot and I didn’t really feel like sharing it…) and it was the one she picked.

For preparation, I used 1/2 tsp. of matcha in 12 oz. of cold milk, which I then split for the two of us. Honestly, I did a REALLY horrible job of mixing it and it looked quite gross. I could have probably done a better job but my sister was rushing me because she wanted to open her present.

My mom, although surprised it was a cold drink, really enjoyed it though and said it tasted very much like actual eggnog. I have to agree – despite being poorly blended it was very rich and creamy tasting and nice and smooth going down (despite lumps of unblended matcha). I can’t imagine this would be good hot, and I think it might be weird cold shaken in straight water so I’ll likely be finishing the rest of my sample in cold milk.

I’m quite pleased with my latest matcha experiences. The first ones I tried where just awful (cold shaken black cherry and unflavoured matchaccino mixed into milk), but this one and orange matcha cold shaken and as tea soda were a definite improvement. Enough so to keep me from flat out righting off matcha altogether!

VariaTEA

I definitely have liked most of the matchas I tried best when mixed in a cold glass of milk. Granted most of the ones I have tasted so far have been creamy/dessert type flavors so that probably makes sense.

Also Merry Christmas (well at least your Christmas)!! It is nice you get to spend it with your family. I lucked out and actually got to go see my siblings for Hannukah so I know how nice it is to get to see your family around the holidays, especially when you are in a city when you know so few people. Plus, I got to have an early birthday celebration for my brother (who is actually born on Christmas) since I will be with my mother in Florida and won’t be seeing him then.

Lastly, I hope your brother is able to convince your Dad to return the gift. I am sure he would want to get you something you actually want so perhaps your brother could drop the hint that he recalled you saying something about not wanting that gift set when he talked to you about the holidays or something like that. Your present from your mom sounds nice though (although I am bias because I love Jessie’s Tea)

*WHERE you know so few people

Roswell Strange

My Mom’s birthday is Christmas Eve, and so is one of my Aunt’s – they’re not twins however (11 years age difference). That’s awesome you got to spend Hannukah with your family! I don’t usually miss mine too much (not very close to any of them, though this is the family I’m closer to and have missed the most), but I know some people are the opposite way (like my friend Robyn who goes down to seem her family for several days at least once a month).

He’s going to try to convince my Dad to bring it back, though my Dad is a very stubborn person and (like noted) he doesn’t listen well to others. I have a very oddly cold relationship with my father, though. Oddly in that I can’t stand him, though he ‘tries very hard’ to connect with me. A huge part of it is that he’s very blatantly homophobic (and I am not straight) and racist towards, specifically, Aboriginal people – and quite religiously intolerant (very right wing, fundamentalist, Evangelical Christian). In regard to the ‘right wing’ point, I am very much so liberally minded with a few socialist beliefs. So, those are a lot of HUGE points upon which we disagree about which can cause some turmoil. Plus there’s the fact that he really seems to know very little about me – including that I’m highly allergic to mushrooms (there are other reasons out relationship is estranged as well, but I wont get into it).

Long story short, I don’t really suspect anything will be done about it. It’s just frustrating because I was EXPLICITLY clear about it and he either wasn’t paying attention or chose to ignore me. I’ll just wind up with a ton of tea I don’t want…

Thank you for the holiday wishes, though!

you could return/exchange it maybe?

tigress_al

Merry Christmas!
Once, I returned a sampler because I got 2 of the same ones. I didn’t have a receipt but they still did it for me. You could try to exchange it maybe.

Comments

VariaTEA

*WHERE you know so few people

Roswell Strange

Thank you for the holiday wishes, though!

you could return/exchange it maybe?

tigress_al

Merry Christmas!

Growing up, the only teas I ever drank were bagged mint teas (especially peppermint), and mint still remains a staple flavour for me. My favourite teas are flavoured ones (doesn’t matter if they’re fruity, chocolate, sweet, savory, etc). And thus far in my tea journey, blacks are my favourite as far as flavoured blends go, but I’ve also developed a very strong liking towards mate and whites. For the most part, I really enjoy everything else as well. The exception is green tea – which I very much dislike. I have found a few heavily flavoured greens that I enjoy, but I’m always very wary in trying green blends.

My favourite fruit flavours in regard to tea blends are cranberry, banana, pear, lychee, melon, passion fruit and especially pineapple (pineapple is my favourite fruit). I am also always excited to try anything with Saskatoon Berries, which are delicious and also my city’s namesake. I also have a huge weakness towards toffee/caramel teas and a bit of a soft spot in regard to black licorice. And I adore anything creamy. Since I’ve used flavoured teas as a way to cut out soda from my diet, I am always up for trying soda inspired blends. I want to try all the Rootbeer teas!

Tastes I strongly dislike are ginger (I tend to avoid blends which mention ginger as an ingredient), and raisins (I’ll typically flat out refuse to try anything with raisins – I hate them that much). Really, those are the only two things I intentionally avoid. I also have mixed feelings about peaches, mangoes, lemongrass, and chamomile.

In regard to straight teas, I haven’t been nearly as adventurous. I’ve yet to really explore any straight oolongs, except Milk Oolongs which weren’t really for me. In general, I really like straight black teas, especially when they have strong baked bread or malt notes. I like most straight whites, but I especially adore silver needle teas. Green teas, with the exception of Genmaicha and some Hojicha, make me feel a bit sick and I can’t finish the cup. I can handle flavoured matcha like Red Leaf Tea sells – but straight matcha is a definite “no go”. I recently survived my first Pu’erh, and it was an alright, maybe borderline enjoyable, experience.

As far as cold brewing goes, I do prefer to have my tea hot – but I always keep a selection of herbals and fruit blends to cold steep. I do a daily 25 oz. cold brew which I either have first thing with breakfast or take in a thermos to drink at work, in addition to the hot Timolino(s) I also bring with every work shift. On average, I have six cups of tea a day.

I prefer to drink my tea without adding anything to it, and that’s always how I first try a tea. My belief is that milk, sugar or whatever else you add to your tea should be used to enhance an already good flavour: if the tea needs something added to it to taste good then it’s probably not good tea to begin with. The exception is Matcha; I always have my matcha whisked either into cold milk or club soda as “tea soda” depending on which way the flavour will be best suited. My roommate, Tre, has a very different philosophy in regard to tea, and that’s to always drown out his cup in sugar – even before tasting to see if it needs any. That’s why I don’t let him drink the good stuff ;)

As far as ratings go, I try to rate things comparatively to other teas I’ve tried. If I like it less than something rated, say, a 90 then it wont be rated more than a 90. Instead I’ll try to find a rated tea I like about the same amount and then the tea I’m drinking gets rated that number. If I find I like it in between two rated teas then I’ll rate in a number in between those ratings. I also wont restock anything with a rating lower than 80, unless it’s a bagged tea (but bagged teas need to have a rating of at least 75 for me to consider stocking them).

The other important people in my life, within my new city, are my friends Robyn and Kristina.

Kristina is also a friend from highschool, though not nearly as close. We’ve become much closer since she moved here a few months after I did and we both realized we knew hardly anyone.

She lives less than 10 minutes from my house, and is over here a fairly large amount of time. Recently, she’s also undertaken the huge task of introducing me to Metal music and slowly getting my involved in the metal community here in Saskatoon. It’s a work in progress.

She’s not a tea drinker, but thankfully she’s always excited to hear me ramble and is often really amused by the teas I take with me different places.

I’m very much into clay and sculpture and, if I’m being honest and not modest, I’m really good at it. I also play way too much Pokemon for my own good, and watch more TV than one person should. I’m a huge sap and cry during TV and movies all the time, even if nothing terribly sad is happening.

I’m really wordy and have this tendency to write way more than is necessary or relevant, and that often carries into my tasting notes and reviews.I feel like that probably gets annoying for the people following me…

And, on that note I think I should maybe shut up a little bit now?

Saskatoon, SK, Canada