drank Mango Lassi by DAVIDsTEA

So, I received an unprompted 30g sample amount of this as an early Christmas present from my Grandmother. Unprompted meaning it wasn’t one of the teas I had included on my list of teas I wanted for Christmas. Apparently my mother stealthily spoke to Tre, however, and had him send her a list of the DAVIDsTEA blends I already had so that she didn’t double up on something. It actually worked out rather well: this had been on my shopping list anyway.

I wanted to get this so I could try it out for cold brewing, so that’s exactly what I did! I used roughly half of my 30g sample to make a small pitcher of this cold brewed (about four cups worth). That sat in my fridge cold brewing for about 20 hours before getting strained yesterday and then being drunk today. I brought this in my water bottle so that I was still able to bring another hot drink for work today.

The smell is very true mango, without oodles of added sweetener. Just a straight forward fresh cut mango smell. There’s also the faintest hint of chamomile to the smell. It smells neither good nor bad to me.

The strainer I use for cold brewing is fairly fine, but still managed to let through a whole bunch of the finer bits of chamomile which wouldn’t bug me, expect I keep feeling them as I drink, and it’s just… weird.

As far as the taste goes. the first taste is the mango with a touch of soft vanilla. It reminds me of one of those no name brand mango juice boxes my mom used to send with my school lunches. I always found that those tasted a little off – not quite sweet enough, and kind of too natural. Personally, I have a love hate relationship with most mango things. I dislike the taste of the actual fruit, generally speaking, but quite enjoy mango candy or “mango flavoured things” – such as mango icecream. So, ‘mango purists’ would likely enjoy this but as someone who doesn’t really like “true mango” this hinders my enjoyment a fair bit.

Immediately following the mango notes and lingering in the aftertaste is the chamomile in the blend. Because the smell is rather faint in the liquid, I was hoping it would be around as faint in the taste. Not so much – the taste is quite pronounced, and as someone who doesn’t really enjoy the taste of chamomile (but also doesn’t strongly dislike it) this is doing zero for me. Honestly, thinking about it, I don’t like true mango flavour and I’m neutral (at best) towards chamomile so I’m not really sure why I thought I’d enjoy this.

Well, glad I tried it cold brewed and I have enough left to try it hot to see if it fares a bit better, but I think this will be a pretty easy one to rule out as something I’d ever want to keep stocked. I’m going to hold off rating it because my opinion is relatively biased and I don’t want to throw the rating off. If I was going to rate it, though, it’d probably be low to mid 40s…

EDIT: Is anyone planning on making an Adagio order any time soon? There are two blends I’d love to get my hands on (but, alas, horrible shipping costs)…

CrowKettle

lol, “mango purists”

Fjellrev

I love how strategic your family is when it comes to figuring out which teas to get you.

Roswell Strange

Well, only half my family. My Dad’s being rather stubborn and idiotic about it. I flat out told him that if he wanted to get me tea, talk to my mom who had the list of teas I’d requested (she did a great job a getting the ones I asked for – the only one she missed was actually discontinued a month ago, but at the time I made my list hadn’t been). I also made a deliberate point of telling him NOT to get any samples for me, because odds are I have at least half of the teas in them. In specific, I said to avoid the Chirstmas/Holiday blends because I had tried all of them the day they came out and had the quantities I wanted of each. What did he get me? The Holiday Sampler ." I have 250g+ of Choconut Oolong now… 150 that I bought for myself (I really like it, despite most people hating it), 50 from Tre’s Christmas present to me (he wasn’t paying attention to the teas I own and just bought the one the sales clerk recommended), and 50 from my Dad…

Fjellrev

Aww well, at least it’s the thought that counts? My family would never go on a hunt to buy me any tea at all haha. If you’re into swapping, that’s always extra tea you can swap out.

Roswell Strange

True – although I seem to be one of the sole few who actually enjoys it XD Last time I was in DAVIDsTEA I heard a sales clerk describe it to a customer as “sweaty butt”. Lol. I think I may re-gift one of the unopened packs to a friend who enjoyed it when she was over (in addition to the rest of the Christmas stuff I was planning to send her).

Fjellrev

OMG! I’m surprised a SA would say that. That is seriously a lot of one kind of tea, even if you like it, for sure. But that’s great you have a friend who likes it too.

Comments

CrowKettle

lol, “mango purists”

Fjellrev

Growing up, the only teas I ever drank were bagged mint teas (especially peppermint), and mint still remains a staple flavour for me. My favourite teas are flavoured ones (doesn’t matter if they’re fruity, chocolate, sweet, savory, etc). And thus far in my tea journey, blacks are my favourite as far as flavoured blends go, but I’ve also developed a very strong liking towards mate and whites. For the most part, I really enjoy everything else as well. The exception is green tea – which I very much dislike. I have found a few heavily flavoured greens that I enjoy, but I’m always very wary in trying green blends.

My favourite fruit flavours in regard to tea blends are cranberry, banana, pear, lychee, melon, passion fruit and especially pineapple (pineapple is my favourite fruit). I am also always excited to try anything with Saskatoon Berries, which are delicious and also my city’s namesake. I also have a huge weakness towards toffee/caramel teas and a bit of a soft spot in regard to black licorice. And I adore anything creamy. Since I’ve used flavoured teas as a way to cut out soda from my diet, I am always up for trying soda inspired blends. I want to try all the Rootbeer teas!

Tastes I strongly dislike are ginger (I tend to avoid blends which mention ginger as an ingredient), and raisins (I’ll typically flat out refuse to try anything with raisins – I hate them that much). Really, those are the only two things I intentionally avoid. I also have mixed feelings about peaches, mangoes, lemongrass, and chamomile.

In regard to straight teas, I haven’t been nearly as adventurous. I’ve yet to really explore any straight oolongs, except Milk Oolongs which weren’t really for me. In general, I really like straight black teas, especially when they have strong baked bread or malt notes. I like most straight whites, but I especially adore silver needle teas. Green teas, with the exception of Genmaicha and some Hojicha, make me feel a bit sick and I can’t finish the cup. I can handle flavoured matcha like Red Leaf Tea sells – but straight matcha is a definite “no go”. I recently survived my first Pu’erh, and it was an alright, maybe borderline enjoyable, experience.

As far as cold brewing goes, I do prefer to have my tea hot – but I always keep a selection of herbals and fruit blends to cold steep. I do a daily 25 oz. cold brew which I either have first thing with breakfast or take in a thermos to drink at work, in addition to the hot Timolino(s) I also bring with every work shift. On average, I have six cups of tea a day.

I prefer to drink my tea without adding anything to it, and that’s always how I first try a tea. My belief is that milk, sugar or whatever else you add to your tea should be used to enhance an already good flavour: if the tea needs something added to it to taste good then it’s probably not good tea to begin with. The exception is Matcha; I always have my matcha whisked either into cold milk or club soda as “tea soda” depending on which way the flavour will be best suited. My roommate, Tre, has a very different philosophy in regard to tea, and that’s to always drown out his cup in sugar – even before tasting to see if it needs any. That’s why I don’t let him drink the good stuff ;)

As far as ratings go, I try to rate things comparatively to other teas I’ve tried. If I like it less than something rated, say, a 90 then it wont be rated more than a 90. Instead I’ll try to find a rated tea I like about the same amount and then the tea I’m drinking gets rated that number. If I find I like it in between two rated teas then I’ll rate in a number in between those ratings. I also wont restock anything with a rating lower than 80, unless it’s a bagged tea (but bagged teas need to have a rating of at least 75 for me to consider stocking them).

The other important people in my life, within my new city, are my friends Robyn and Kristina.

Kristina is also a friend from highschool, though not nearly as close. We’ve become much closer since she moved here a few months after I did and we both realized we knew hardly anyone.

She lives less than 10 minutes from my house, and is over here a fairly large amount of time. Recently, she’s also undertaken the huge task of introducing me to Metal music and slowly getting my involved in the metal community here in Saskatoon. It’s a work in progress.

She’s not a tea drinker, but thankfully she’s always excited to hear me ramble and is often really amused by the teas I take with me different places.

I’m very much into clay and sculpture and, if I’m being honest and not modest, I’m really good at it. I also play way too much Pokemon for my own good, and watch more TV than one person should. I’m a huge sap and cry during TV and movies all the time, even if nothing terribly sad is happening.

I’m really wordy and have this tendency to write way more than is necessary or relevant, and that often carries into my tasting notes and reviews.I feel like that probably gets annoying for the people following me…

And, on that note I think I should maybe shut up a little bit now?

Saskatoon, SK, Canada