drank Mango Lassi by DAVIDsTEA
2059 tasting notes

So, I received an unprompted 30g sample amount of this as an early Christmas present from my Grandmother. Unprompted meaning it wasn’t one of the teas I had included on my list of teas I wanted for Christmas. Apparently my mother stealthily spoke to Tre, however, and had him send her a list of the DAVIDsTEA blends I already had so that she didn’t double up on something. It actually worked out rather well: this had been on my shopping list anyway.

I wanted to get this so I could try it out for cold brewing, so that’s exactly what I did! I used roughly half of my 30g sample to make a small pitcher of this cold brewed (about four cups worth). That sat in my fridge cold brewing for about 20 hours before getting strained yesterday and then being drunk today. I brought this in my water bottle so that I was still able to bring another hot drink for work today.

The smell is very true mango, without oodles of added sweetener. Just a straight forward fresh cut mango smell. There’s also the faintest hint of chamomile to the smell. It smells neither good nor bad to me.

The strainer I use for cold brewing is fairly fine, but still managed to let through a whole bunch of the finer bits of chamomile which wouldn’t bug me, expect I keep feeling them as I drink, and it’s just… weird.

As far as the taste goes. the first taste is the mango with a touch of soft vanilla. It reminds me of one of those no name brand mango juice boxes my mom used to send with my school lunches. I always found that those tasted a little off – not quite sweet enough, and kind of too natural. Personally, I have a love hate relationship with most mango things. I dislike the taste of the actual fruit, generally speaking, but quite enjoy mango candy or “mango flavoured things” – such as mango icecream. So, ‘mango purists’ would likely enjoy this but as someone who doesn’t really like “true mango” this hinders my enjoyment a fair bit.

Immediately following the mango notes and lingering in the aftertaste is the chamomile in the blend. Because the smell is rather faint in the liquid, I was hoping it would be around as faint in the taste. Not so much – the taste is quite pronounced, and as someone who doesn’t really enjoy the taste of chamomile (but also doesn’t strongly dislike it) this is doing zero for me. Honestly, thinking about it, I don’t like true mango flavour and I’m neutral (at best) towards chamomile so I’m not really sure why I thought I’d enjoy this.

Well, glad I tried it cold brewed and I have enough left to try it hot to see if it fares a bit better, but I think this will be a pretty easy one to rule out as something I’d ever want to keep stocked. I’m going to hold off rating it because my opinion is relatively biased and I don’t want to throw the rating off. If I was going to rate it, though, it’d probably be low to mid 40s…

EDIT: Is anyone planning on making an Adagio order any time soon? There are two blends I’d love to get my hands on (but, alas, horrible shipping costs)…

CrowKettle

lol, “mango purists”

Fjellrev

I love how strategic your family is when it comes to figuring out which teas to get you.

Roswell Strange

Well, only half my family. My Dad’s being rather stubborn and idiotic about it. I flat out told him that if he wanted to get me tea, talk to my mom who had the list of teas I’d requested (she did a great job a getting the ones I asked for – the only one she missed was actually discontinued a month ago, but at the time I made my list hadn’t been). I also made a deliberate point of telling him NOT to get any samples for me, because odds are I have at least half of the teas in them. In specific, I said to avoid the Chirstmas/Holiday blends because I had tried all of them the day they came out and had the quantities I wanted of each. What did he get me? The Holiday Sampler ." I have 250g+ of Choconut Oolong now… 150 that I bought for myself (I really like it, despite most people hating it), 50 from Tre’s Christmas present to me (he wasn’t paying attention to the teas I own and just bought the one the sales clerk recommended), and 50 from my Dad…

Fjellrev

Aww well, at least it’s the thought that counts? My family would never go on a hunt to buy me any tea at all haha. If you’re into swapping, that’s always extra tea you can swap out.

Roswell Strange

True – although I seem to be one of the sole few who actually enjoys it XD Last time I was in DAVIDsTEA I heard a sales clerk describe it to a customer as “sweaty butt”. Lol. I think I may re-gift one of the unopened packs to a friend who enjoyed it when she was over (in addition to the rest of the Christmas stuff I was planning to send her).

Fjellrev

OMG! I’m surprised a SA would say that. That is seriously a lot of one kind of tea, even if you like it, for sure. But that’s great you have a friend who likes it too.

Comments

CrowKettle

lol, “mango purists”

Fjellrev

Growing up, the only tea I ever drank was bagged mint tea (especially peppermint), and mint still remains a staple flavour for me. Spearmint is my favourite. At this point in my ‘tea career’ I heavily lean towards flavoured blends; doesn’t matter if they’re fruity, chocolate, sweet, savory, etc. Blacks are my favourite as far as flavoured blends go, with whites a close second. I really enjoy everything but straight Greens though, but I’ll try anything once even if I am wary.

My favourite fruit flavours in blends are cranberry, banana, pear, lychee, melon, passion fruit and especially pineapple. I am also always excited to try anything with Saskatoon Berries, which are delicious and also my city’s namesake. I have a huge weakness towards toffee/caramel and coconut teas and a bit of a soft spot in regard to black licorice. I also adore anything creamy. I am always up for trying soda inspired blends as well because the concept fascinates me. I want to try all the Rootbeer teas! I am also currently trying to try as many Sweet Potato blends as possible.

Tastes I strongly dislike are ginger and raisins. Really, those are the only two things I intentionally avoid. I also have mixed feelings about peaches, mangoes, lemongrass, and chamomile.

In regard to straight teas, I haven’t been nearly as adventurous. I’ve yet to really explore any straight oolongs, except Milk Oolongs which weren’t really for me. In general, I really like straight black teas, especially when they have strong baked bread or malt notes. I like most straight whites, but I have a preference for silver needle teas over other types. Green teas, with the exception of Genmaicha and some Hojicha, make me feel a bit sick and I often can’t finish the cup. I can handle flavoured matcha like Red Leaf Tea sells – but straight matcha is a definite “no go”. I recently survived my first Pu’erh, and it was an alright, maybe borderline enjoyable, experience.

The ratio of cold brewed and hot tea I drink is about 50/50. As far as my cup sizes go, all my daily cold brews are done in a 25 oz. mason jar and my other mugs are 12 oz. with the exception of my Adeline infuser mug which is 16 oz. Unless otherwise specified, these are the cup sizes for all teas I review.

I prefer to drink my tea without adding anything to it, and 9/10 times that will be how I first try a blend. My belief is that milk, sugar or whatever else you add to your tea should be used to enhance an already good flavour: if the tea needs something added to it to taste good then it’s probably not good tea to begin with. The exception is Matcha; I always have my matcha whisked either into cold milk or club soda as “Matcha soda” depending on which way the flavour will be best suited. My roommate, Tre, has a very different philosophy in regard to tea, and that’s to always drown out his cup in sugar – even before tasting to see if it needs any. That’s why I don’t let him drink the good stuff ;)

The other important person in my life is my friend Robyn.

Some brief “IRL” interests: Clay/Sculpture (or visual arts in general), Improv, Mythology, Big Brother (USA and CA), and an absurdly large amount of TV shows – geeky or otherwise.

Saskatoon, SK, Canada