Well, this isn’t exactly how I thought I’d be spending the evening. I had anticipated sipping away at my new Butiki blends, but instead I’m hunched over a bowl throwing up scrambled eggs. I don’t know what happened – I was perfectly fine and then not half an hour after finishing my eggs I felt violently ill. I really hope I feel better tomorrow so I can enjoy my time off for Christmas!

Anyway, I received this as part of a “herbal sampler” from VariaTEA and it seems like an appropriate tea to be drinking now. I’m hoping it might help tame or at least temper my illness.

For preparation, I’m using 2 tsp. of leaf (a little strong) for 8 oz. of boiling water, steeped for seven minutes. The smell is partially minty, partially orange, a bit ginger like, and a whole lot of catnip and fennel.

Taste wise – this is all fennel, catnip, and ugh… ginger! Bleck. It tastes pretty gross, but then again I’m not exactly drinking it right now for the taste, am I? If it does it’s job, I’ll be keeping it around for that reason – and that reason alone. It’s a shame though, I really do like fennel. But catnip? It tastes really grassy and sorta sour? And it’s a known fact that I’m not a fan of ginger.

I’ll edit in if this helped settled my stomach a little later, after I’ve given this a chance to “work its magic”.

EDIT: Nope, that didn’t sit well either. Ended up throwing up the whole mug. Yuck. I think I’m done with tea for the night…

VariaTEA

Oh no! I hope you feel better soon and I am really sorry the tea did not help.

tigress_al

Gross. Throwing up sucks. Feel better soon!

keychange

Yup, throwing up is nasty. Feel better!

caile

Hope you feel better!

Tealizzy

Feel better!!!

Roswell Strange

Thanks, all of you! I’m feeling significantly better today – though taking it easy on food and tea, for now. Merry Christmas!

Comments

VariaTEA

Oh no! I hope you feel better soon and I am really sorry the tea did not help.

tigress_al

Gross. Throwing up sucks. Feel better soon!

keychange

Yup, throwing up is nasty. Feel better!

caile

Hope you feel better!

Tealizzy

Feel better!!!

Roswell Strange

Growing up, the only tea I ever drank was bagged mint tea (especially peppermint), and mint still remains a staple flavour for me. Spearmint is my favourite. At this point in my ‘tea career’ I heavily lean towards flavoured blends; doesn’t matter if they’re fruity, chocolate, sweet, savory, etc. Blacks are my favourite as far as flavoured blends go, with whites a close second. I really enjoy everything but straight Greens though, but I’ll try anything once even if I am wary.

My favourite fruit flavours in blends are cranberry, banana, pear, lychee, melon, passion fruit and especially pineapple. I am also always excited to try anything with Saskatoon Berries, which are delicious and also my city’s namesake. I have a huge weakness towards toffee/caramel and coconut teas and a bit of a soft spot in regard to black licorice. I also adore anything creamy. I am always up for trying soda inspired blends as well because the concept fascinates me. I want to try all the Rootbeer teas! I am also currently trying to try as many Sweet Potato blends as possible.

Tastes I strongly dislike are ginger and raisins. Really, those are the only two things I intentionally avoid. I also have mixed feelings about peaches, mangoes, lemongrass, and chamomile.

In regard to straight teas, I haven’t been nearly as adventurous. I’ve yet to really explore any straight oolongs, except Milk Oolongs which weren’t really for me. In general, I really like straight black teas, especially when they have strong baked bread or malt notes. I like most straight whites, but I have a preference for silver needle teas over other types. Green teas, with the exception of Genmaicha and some Hojicha, make me feel a bit sick and I often can’t finish the cup. I can handle flavoured matcha like Red Leaf Tea sells – but straight matcha is a definite “no go”. I recently survived my first Pu’erh, and it was an alright, maybe borderline enjoyable, experience.

The ratio of cold brewed and hot tea I drink is about 50/50. As far as my cup sizes go, all my daily cold brews are done in a 25 oz. mason jar and my other mugs are 12 oz. with the exception of my Adeline infuser mug which is 16 oz. Unless otherwise specified, these are the cup sizes for all teas I review.

I prefer to drink my tea without adding anything to it, and 9/10 times that will be how I first try a blend. My belief is that milk, sugar or whatever else you add to your tea should be used to enhance an already good flavour: if the tea needs something added to it to taste good then it’s probably not good tea to begin with. The exception is Matcha; I always have my matcha whisked either into cold milk or club soda as “Matcha soda” depending on which way the flavour will be best suited. My roommate, Tre, has a very different philosophy in regard to tea, and that’s to always drown out his cup in sugar – even before tasting to see if it needs any. That’s why I don’t let him drink the good stuff ;)

The other important person in my life is my friend Robyn.

Some brief “IRL” interests: Clay/Sculpture (or visual arts in general), Improv, Mythology, Big Brother (USA and CA), and an absurdly large amount of TV shows – geeky or otherwise.

Saskatoon, SK, Canada