On the 2nd day of Christmas Steepster gave to me two turtle doves…

Ok, so it’s not the second day of Christmas, it’s the third – but alas this one didn’t make it in time for me to drink it on the 2nd, so I’m happily enjoying it now! It’s been a while since I had a basically straight up orange and cinnamon tea!

I really love TeaTiff’s explanation for why she picked this one: basically it was that the two turtle doves is significant of a long lasting relationship/couple (she explained it much better, but I don’t have to piece of paper with me), which is super cute!

For preparation, I’m using 1 1/2 tsp. of leaf for 8 oz. of tea, steeped with boiling water for five minutes. TeaTiff suggested adding a bit of sugar, but I typically try my teas straight the first time, so that’s what I’m doing now. I do have enough leaf left for another cup so maybe I’ll have the second cup with sugar, whenever that winds up being. The steeped smell is a nicely balanced cinnamon and orange combination. For the orange, it’s a bit more like an orange rind than a juicy orange. I sort of smell cloves, as well.

The taste is a decently balanced cinnamon/orange/clove combinations. Orange rind is definitely the right descriptor for the orange. It’s just a little astringent, but altogether not that bad. It definitely seems a little seasonal; I can’t see myself reaching for something like this in the summer. Maybe in the fall. I like it though! It’s not something I’d personally keep stocked, but I wouldn’t pass up the opportunity to try it again, and I’m really glad I have enough left for one more cup!

Thank you TeaTiff!

Sidenote: It’s been a little over three weeks since my Della Terra order from Black Friday shipped, and I’m still waiting for it. The wait is killing me! Is anyone else in Canada still waiting for theirs? My first Della Terra order made it to me in about two weeks, so I’m getting a little bit impatient. I just hope it gets here before I leave to Regina – there are a few things I wanted to take with me on my trip…

Lala

Your Della Terra order may be stuck at customs. I have had them hold a Harney order for 3 weeks before. Do you have tracking? It will say if it is at a customs facility or not.

No tracking :/

VariaTEA

Email Della Terra and ask them about your order. When mine didn’t come in they sent me tracking information and let me know where it was.

Roswell Strange

I’m gonna give it another day or two, just because of the whole Canada Post getting backed up thing. But if nothing by Monday, I’ll send them a message…

Comments

Lala

No tracking :/

VariaTEA

Roswell Strange

Growing up, the only tea I ever drank was bagged mint tea (especially peppermint), and mint still remains a staple flavour for me. Spearmint is my favourite. At this point in my ‘tea career’ I heavily lean towards flavoured blends; doesn’t matter if they’re fruity, chocolate, sweet, savory, etc. Blacks are my favourite as far as flavoured blends go, with whites a close second. I really enjoy everything but straight Greens though, but I’ll try anything once even if I am wary.

My favourite fruit flavours in blends are cranberry, banana, pear, lychee, melon, passion fruit and especially pineapple. I am also always excited to try anything with Saskatoon Berries, which are delicious and also my city’s namesake. I have a huge weakness towards toffee/caramel and coconut teas and a bit of a soft spot in regard to black licorice. I also adore anything creamy. I am always up for trying soda inspired blends as well because the concept fascinates me. I want to try all the Rootbeer teas! I am also currently trying to try as many Sweet Potato blends as possible.

Tastes I strongly dislike are ginger and raisins. Really, those are the only two things I intentionally avoid. I also have mixed feelings about peaches, mangoes, lemongrass, and chamomile.

In regard to straight teas, I haven’t been nearly as adventurous. I’ve yet to really explore any straight oolongs, except Milk Oolongs which weren’t really for me. In general, I really like straight black teas, especially when they have strong baked bread or malt notes. I like most straight whites, but I have a preference for silver needle teas over other types. Green teas, with the exception of Genmaicha and some Hojicha, make me feel a bit sick and I often can’t finish the cup. I can handle flavoured matcha like Red Leaf Tea sells – but straight matcha is a definite “no go”. I recently survived my first Pu’erh, and it was an alright, maybe borderline enjoyable, experience.

The ratio of cold brewed and hot tea I drink is about 50/50. As far as my cup sizes go, all my daily cold brews are done in a 25 oz. mason jar and my other mugs are 12 oz. with the exception of my Adeline infuser mug which is 16 oz. Unless otherwise specified, these are the cup sizes for all teas I review.

I prefer to drink my tea without adding anything to it, and 9/10 times that will be how I first try a blend. My belief is that milk, sugar or whatever else you add to your tea should be used to enhance an already good flavour: if the tea needs something added to it to taste good then it’s probably not good tea to begin with. The exception is Matcha; I always have my matcha whisked either into cold milk or club soda as “Matcha soda” depending on which way the flavour will be best suited. My roommate, Tre, has a very different philosophy in regard to tea, and that’s to always drown out his cup in sugar – even before tasting to see if it needs any. That’s why I don’t let him drink the good stuff ;)

The other important person in my life is my friend Robyn.

Some brief “IRL” interests: Clay/Sculpture (or visual arts in general), Improv, Mythology, Big Brother (USA and CA), and an absurdly large amount of TV shows – geeky or otherwise.

Saskatoon, SK, Canada