drank Blood Orange by CaesarsTea

Finally trying one of my CaesarsTea samples from VariaTEA! I brought this one with on my vacation knowing I’d likely got short on some teas, and that’d force me to try the samples I’d brought which I’ve been sort of putting off trying at home. That’s been pretty true so far (and I still have five days left here).

I don’t remember why I asked for a sample of this one: maybe because it’s a flavoured black, and I don’t particularly have an orange flavoured black I keep in regular stock. Anyway, the sample I received from VariaTEA certainly doesn’t have as many non-tea bits as the display picture shows, so I don’t know if that’s gonna affect what I taste at all.

Parameters for the mug I’m drinking were: 1 1/2 tsp. of leaf in an 8 oz. mug steeped with boiling water for four minutes – which was the low end of the suggested steep time spectrum. I went with the low end partially because I was worried about this being bitter, and partially because the other teas I was simultaneously steeping had steep times right around that point as well.

Dry this has a very faint orange smell; like orange rinds with an equally faint black tea smell. Steeped, the liquor is a sort of watery brown with some muddled red hues in there and smells like faint, creamy orange. I drank the first half of the mug while catching up on Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D, and honestly wasn’t paying attention to taste – but I happily sipped at it so I suppose that says it wasn’t gag inducing awful.

Eventually I did start paying attention to the taste, and really this isn’t bad though it doesn’t scream “Blood Orange” to me – more so just sweet, regular run of the mill orange. It’s not really that bold in the flavouring, and surprisingly more delicate than I would have imagined, but that could be a result of the low steep time. The orange is light, sweet, and surprisingly creamy and I also get notes of lemon and super faint notes of maybe grapefruit? But a sweeter grapefruit – not a bitter taste. There’s also a sort of floral quality to this, but I’m having a hard time placing what. A few sips reminded me of sweet orange juice, as well. It almost feels like maybe this should have orange pulp in it?

Honestly, it’s a pretty good cup – though nothing exceptional, and not really Blood Orange like titled. I’m surprised at how good and creamy it is, especially after reading Sil’s tasting review in which she characterised this as very tart. I get no tartness at all, nor any astringency/bitterness. Maybe I just hit the sweet spot with the steep time? I have enough for one more cup, so maybe I’ll push for a longer steep time with that one.

Anyway – I’d happily drink this again. But would I want anywhere near 50g more of it? Probably not – it’s not that exceptional.

Thanks VariaTEA! I think this was a good introduction to CaesarsTea.

PS. Poor Coulson :(

VariaTEA

I am glad it was pleasant enough to drink. I have no idea why I picked this up given I am not usually into orange teas.

AlexaK.

Poor Coulson indeed. That was a super intense episode. It was nice to see Ron Glas get a bit more screen time though!

Comments

VariaTEA

AlexaK.

Growing up, the only tea I ever drank was bagged mint tea (especially peppermint), and mint still remains a staple flavour for me. Spearmint is my favourite. At this point in my ‘tea career’ I heavily lean towards flavoured blends; doesn’t matter if they’re fruity, chocolate, sweet, savory, etc. Blacks are my favourite as far as flavoured blends go, with whites a close second. I really enjoy everything but straight Greens though, but I’ll try anything once even if I am wary.

My favourite fruit flavours in blends are cranberry, banana, pear, lychee, melon, passion fruit and especially pineapple. I am also always excited to try anything with Saskatoon Berries, which are delicious and also my city’s namesake. I have a huge weakness towards toffee/caramel and coconut teas and a bit of a soft spot in regard to black licorice. I also adore anything creamy. I am always up for trying soda inspired blends as well because the concept fascinates me. I want to try all the Rootbeer teas! I am also currently trying to try as many Sweet Potato blends as possible.

Tastes I strongly dislike are ginger and raisins. Really, those are the only two things I intentionally avoid. I also have mixed feelings about peaches, mangoes, lemongrass, and chamomile.

In regard to straight teas, I haven’t been nearly as adventurous. I’ve yet to really explore any straight oolongs, except Milk Oolongs which weren’t really for me. In general, I really like straight black teas, especially when they have strong baked bread or malt notes. I like most straight whites, but I have a preference for silver needle teas over other types. Green teas, with the exception of Genmaicha and some Hojicha, make me feel a bit sick and I often can’t finish the cup. I can handle flavoured matcha like Red Leaf Tea sells – but straight matcha is a definite “no go”. I recently survived my first Pu’erh, and it was an alright, maybe borderline enjoyable, experience.

The ratio of cold brewed and hot tea I drink is about 50/50. As far as my cup sizes go, all my daily cold brews are done in a 25 oz. mason jar and my other mugs are 12 oz. with the exception of my Adeline infuser mug which is 16 oz. Unless otherwise specified, these are the cup sizes for all teas I review.

I prefer to drink my tea without adding anything to it, and 9/10 times that will be how I first try a blend. My belief is that milk, sugar or whatever else you add to your tea should be used to enhance an already good flavour: if the tea needs something added to it to taste good then it’s probably not good tea to begin with. The exception is Matcha; I always have my matcha whisked either into cold milk or club soda as “Matcha soda” depending on which way the flavour will be best suited. My roommate, Tre, has a very different philosophy in regard to tea, and that’s to always drown out his cup in sugar – even before tasting to see if it needs any. That’s why I don’t let him drink the good stuff ;)

The other important person in my life is my friend Robyn.

Some brief “IRL” interests: Clay/Sculpture (or visual arts in general), Improv, Mythology, Big Brother (USA and CA), and an absurdly large amount of TV shows – geeky or otherwise.

Saskatoon, SK, Canada