Sipdown (179)!

Darn it – just as I finished my Mint Chocolate Rooibos review I saw that VariaTEA had managed to get in a few more teas tonight. This is my 14th cup of tea today, so I don’t think I can do anymore after this one. Despite a competitive drive, I just don’t think I can manage. Oh well, hopefully a day surrounded by tea tomorrow will yield some more tasting notes.

Anyway, this tea is one of two teas my Dad and Step Mom owned prior to my coming down from vacation. It comes in pyramid satchets and though there’s no information on the ingredients in the packaging, visually it looks like it’s just red rooibos, lemon grass, and cornflower. It has a strong lemon grass smell. I didn’t have any while I was there, but I did take a single satchet home with me to try.

Steeped up in 8 oz. of boiling water for like six minutes? I lose track of time a bit. Steeped smell is strongly lemongrass. And, as far as the taste goes, it’s more just plain old grass…

Ok, maybe that’s a little harsh. It’s more like very wood chippy and kind of medicinal rooibos, lawn trimmings, and a squeeze of fresh lemon. Yeah – I think I was right to be harsh. It’s just not that good. I think I’m dumping most of this cup. Sorry Dad, but this is nasty – I’m glad I left some higher quality tea for you to enjoy.

VariaTEA

ahahahaha I shall prevail!! I can do this all night :P By the way, I think I am now officially done adding to your package. Between my swaps going to you and Cavo, I feel happy with the amount of teas I have been able to decrease/get rid of so I won’t be adding more to either of your packages. I plan to go to the post office tomorrow to send them out and I can’t wait for you to receive them. I lost count of how many teas are in there but definitely over 20 (at least they are mostly sample sizes:P).

By the way, you should stop writing tasting notes and go to bed as you need to be bright eyed and bushy tailed for your new job tomorrow . Your job that surrounds you with tea. Plus, if you are asleep, I have more time to get ahead :P

Best of luck tomorrow.

MissB

You two are hilarious! :)

Roswell Strange

You’re right – I should go to sleep. Although, I don’t start until noon ;P

VariaTEA

I have no class until Monday at 2:30! Nothing I got to do, nowhere I have to be. I am just going to drink cup after cup after cup. You won’t know what hit you!

Comments

VariaTEA

Best of luck tomorrow.

MissB

You two are hilarious! :)

Roswell Strange

You’re right – I should go to sleep. Although, I don’t start until noon ;P

VariaTEA

Growing up, the only tea I ever drank was bagged mint tea (especially peppermint), and mint still remains a staple flavour for me. Spearmint is my favourite. At this point in my ‘tea career’ I heavily lean towards flavoured blends; doesn’t matter if they’re fruity, chocolate, sweet, savory, etc. Blacks are my favourite as far as flavoured blends go, with whites a close second. I really enjoy everything but straight Greens though, but I’ll try anything once even if I am wary.

My favourite fruit flavours in blends are cranberry, banana, pear, lychee, melon, passion fruit and especially pineapple. I am also always excited to try anything with Saskatoon Berries, which are delicious and also my city’s namesake. I have a huge weakness towards toffee/caramel and coconut teas and a bit of a soft spot in regard to black licorice. I also adore anything creamy. I am always up for trying soda inspired blends as well because the concept fascinates me. I want to try all the Rootbeer teas! I am also currently trying to try as many Sweet Potato blends as possible.

Tastes I strongly dislike are ginger and raisins. Really, those are the only two things I intentionally avoid. I also have mixed feelings about peaches, mangoes, lemongrass, and chamomile.

In regard to straight teas, I haven’t been nearly as adventurous. I’ve yet to really explore any straight oolongs, except Milk Oolongs which weren’t really for me. In general, I really like straight black teas, especially when they have strong baked bread or malt notes. I like most straight whites, but I have a preference for silver needle teas over other types. Green teas, with the exception of Genmaicha and some Hojicha, make me feel a bit sick and I often can’t finish the cup. I can handle flavoured matcha like Red Leaf Tea sells – but straight matcha is a definite “no go”. I recently survived my first Pu’erh, and it was an alright, maybe borderline enjoyable, experience.

The ratio of cold brewed and hot tea I drink is about 50/50. As far as my cup sizes go, all my daily cold brews are done in a 25 oz. mason jar and my other mugs are 12 oz. with the exception of my Adeline infuser mug which is 16 oz. Unless otherwise specified, these are the cup sizes for all teas I review.

I prefer to drink my tea without adding anything to it, and 9/10 times that will be how I first try a blend. My belief is that milk, sugar or whatever else you add to your tea should be used to enhance an already good flavour: if the tea needs something added to it to taste good then it’s probably not good tea to begin with. The exception is Matcha; I always have my matcha whisked either into cold milk or club soda as “Matcha soda” depending on which way the flavour will be best suited. My roommate, Tre, has a very different philosophy in regard to tea, and that’s to always drown out his cup in sugar – even before tasting to see if it needs any. That’s why I don’t let him drink the good stuff ;)

The other important person in my life is my friend Robyn.

Some brief “IRL” interests: Clay/Sculpture (or visual arts in general), Improv, Mythology, Big Brother (USA and CA), and an absurdly large amount of TV shows – geeky or otherwise.

Saskatoon, SK, Canada