drank Pink Flamingo by DAVIDsTEA
1945 tasting notes

I’ve been so into this one lately and even though I’ve always enjoyed it I’m not sure why I’m currently just so enamoured with it. I ended up cold brewing myself just a single cups worth of it (and am now cold brewing some Champagne Cassis), which I guzzled on the way to the post office. That was at like 2 PM and was my first tea of the day, and has actually been my only tea so far today…

I need to get on that.

I’m relieved and pissed over going to the post office though. I finally sent out the last swap I owed which is always a good feeling. I look forward to reading the reviews from those samples! However, it’s frustrating because the whole reason I went to that specific post office was because they sent a slip to me saying I had a package to pick up by the 24th or it was being returned to the sender.

When I got there, turns out they didn’t have any mail for me and the pick up slip was sent out in error. There are two post offices closer to my house, and yet they always insist on sending my stuff to the farther away location! I would have gladly taken the 10 min. walk to either of the closer locations to send out that swap, but instead I wound up walking 40 min. there and 40 min. back for nothing…

It’s just a little infuriating.

VariaTEA

Yeah that is definitely a piss off. Well at least you sent the swap so it wasn’t totally for not.

Cavocorax

That’s so frustrating!

Fjellrev

That sucks. Too bad you can’t put in a request?

Comments

VariaTEA

Cavocorax

That’s so frustrating!

Fjellrev

That sucks. Too bad you can’t put in a request?

Growing up, the only tea I ever drank was bagged mint tea (especially peppermint), and mint still remains a staple flavour for me. Spearmint is my favourite. At this point in my ‘tea career’ I heavily lean towards flavoured blends; doesn’t matter if they’re fruity, chocolate, sweet, savory, etc. Blacks are my favourite as far as flavoured blends go, with whites a close second. I really enjoy everything but straight Greens though, but I’ll try anything once even if I am wary.

My favourite fruit flavours in blends are cranberry, banana, pear, lychee, melon, passion fruit and especially pineapple. I am also always excited to try anything with Saskatoon Berries, which are delicious and also my city’s namesake. I have a huge weakness towards toffee/caramel and coconut teas and a bit of a soft spot in regard to black licorice. I also adore anything creamy. I am always up for trying soda inspired blends as well because the concept fascinates me. I want to try all the Rootbeer teas! I am also currently trying to try as many Sweet Potato blends as possible.

Tastes I strongly dislike are ginger and raisins. Really, those are the only two things I intentionally avoid. I also have mixed feelings about peaches, mangoes, lemongrass, and chamomile.

In regard to straight teas, I haven’t been nearly as adventurous. I’ve yet to really explore any straight oolongs, except Milk Oolongs which weren’t really for me. In general, I really like straight black teas, especially when they have strong baked bread or malt notes. I like most straight whites, but I have a preference for silver needle teas over other types. Green teas, with the exception of Genmaicha and some Hojicha, make me feel a bit sick and I often can’t finish the cup. I can handle flavoured matcha like Red Leaf Tea sells – but straight matcha is a definite “no go”. I recently survived my first Pu’erh, and it was an alright, maybe borderline enjoyable, experience.

The ratio of cold brewed and hot tea I drink is about 50/50. As far as my cup sizes go, all my daily cold brews are done in a 25 oz. mason jar and my other mugs are 12 oz. with the exception of my Adeline infuser mug which is 16 oz. Unless otherwise specified, these are the cup sizes for all teas I review.

I prefer to drink my tea without adding anything to it, and 9/10 times that will be how I first try a blend. My belief is that milk, sugar or whatever else you add to your tea should be used to enhance an already good flavour: if the tea needs something added to it to taste good then it’s probably not good tea to begin with. The exception is Matcha; I always have my matcha whisked either into cold milk or club soda as “Matcha soda” depending on which way the flavour will be best suited. My roommate, Tre, has a very different philosophy in regard to tea, and that’s to always drown out his cup in sugar – even before tasting to see if it needs any. That’s why I don’t let him drink the good stuff ;)

The other important person in my life is my friend Robyn.

Some brief “IRL” interests: Clay/Sculpture (or visual arts in general), Improv, Mythology, Big Brother (USA and CA), and an absurdly large amount of TV shows – geeky or otherwise.

Saskatoon, SK, Canada