Well, that finishes up the cold brew of this one! Delicious!

Also, I just got the day’s mail, which included a very mustachioed swap package from VariaTEA! It’s huuugeeee and I can’t wait to dig into it!

VariaTEA

Haha I do apologize for the ridiculous (although pretty hilarious) tape. It was all I had but I am happy the teas arrived safely and hopefully you find some tasty treats inside.

Roswell Strange

Also, officially over 200 now for the first time ever… 211, to be precise.

haha Yes!!

VariaTEA

It was a tad bit of a goal to push you over the 200 mark. You know have more teas than I do :P

It would have been 213, but two were blends I already had ;P

VariaTEA

I think I realized that after sealing the envelope but just got lazy to take stuff out. Hopefully you like them. Also I am sure my number will go up as soon as yours or any of the other swaps I am waiting for arrives.

Roswell Strange

Mine had 19 blends it ;P And I know you have lots on the way as well. Personally, I think I maybe had something from Keychange (Her Eight Candles sample that made her sick?) and then my RiverTea order – but nothing else on the way! Except maybe Day 4 of the 12 Days exchange which never showed up :(

VariaTEA

I don’t even recall how many teas I ended up sending because I just kept adding.

Roswell Strange

34… 32 of which I didn’t already have in my cupboard (and not counting the ones already in my cupboard, I’d only tried two others previously; Red Velvet Cake and Lime Gelato).

VariaTEA

Wait I sent your Red Velvet Cake? As in the DAVIDs one?

VariaTEA

Oh nvm. You mean the Stash one. I was wondering why I would send a tea you hated.

Definitely the Stash one – which is so much better than DT’s awful version :P

I am the reverse. I actually really liked the DAVIDs

Comments

VariaTEA

Roswell Strange

Also, officially over 200 now for the first time ever… 211, to be precise.

haha Yes!!

It would have been 213, but two were blends I already had ;P

VariaTEA

Wait I sent your Red Velvet Cake? As in the DAVIDs one?

Definitely the Stash one – which is so much better than DT’s awful version :P

I am the reverse. I actually really liked the DAVIDs

Growing up, the only tea I ever drank was bagged mint tea (especially peppermint), and mint still remains a staple flavour for me. Spearmint is my favourite. At this point in my ‘tea career’ I heavily lean towards flavoured blends; doesn’t matter if they’re fruity, chocolate, sweet, savory, etc. Blacks are my favourite as far as flavoured blends go, with whites a close second. I really enjoy everything but straight Greens though, but I’ll try anything once even if I am wary.

My favourite fruit flavours in blends are cranberry, banana, pear, lychee, melon, passion fruit and especially pineapple. I am also always excited to try anything with Saskatoon Berries, which are delicious and also my city’s namesake. I have a huge weakness towards toffee/caramel and coconut teas and a bit of a soft spot in regard to black licorice. I also adore anything creamy. I am always up for trying soda inspired blends as well because the concept fascinates me. I want to try all the Rootbeer teas! I am also currently trying to try as many Sweet Potato blends as possible.

Tastes I strongly dislike are ginger and raisins. Really, those are the only two things I intentionally avoid. I also have mixed feelings about peaches, mangoes, lemongrass, and chamomile.

In regard to straight teas, I haven’t been nearly as adventurous. I’ve yet to really explore any straight oolongs, except Milk Oolongs which weren’t really for me. In general, I really like straight black teas, especially when they have strong baked bread or malt notes. I like most straight whites, but I have a preference for silver needle teas over other types. Green teas, with the exception of Genmaicha and some Hojicha, make me feel a bit sick and I often can’t finish the cup. I can handle flavoured matcha like Red Leaf Tea sells – but straight matcha is a definite “no go”. I recently survived my first Pu’erh, and it was an alright, maybe borderline enjoyable, experience.

The ratio of cold brewed and hot tea I drink is about 50/50. As far as my cup sizes go, all my daily cold brews are done in a 25 oz. mason jar and my other mugs are 12 oz. with the exception of my Adeline infuser mug which is 16 oz. Unless otherwise specified, these are the cup sizes for all teas I review.

I prefer to drink my tea without adding anything to it, and 9/10 times that will be how I first try a blend. My belief is that milk, sugar or whatever else you add to your tea should be used to enhance an already good flavour: if the tea needs something added to it to taste good then it’s probably not good tea to begin with. The exception is Matcha; I always have my matcha whisked either into cold milk or club soda as “Matcha soda” depending on which way the flavour will be best suited. My roommate, Tre, has a very different philosophy in regard to tea, and that’s to always drown out his cup in sugar – even before tasting to see if it needs any. That’s why I don’t let him drink the good stuff ;)

The other important person in my life is my friend Robyn.

Some brief “IRL” interests: Clay/Sculpture (or visual arts in general), Improv, Mythology, Big Brother (USA and CA), and an absurdly large amount of TV shows – geeky or otherwise.

Saskatoon, SK, Canada