drank Honeydew Mate by DAVIDsTEA

Guess what guys – it’s finally happening! I have a dentist appointment tomorrow to get all my stupid mouth pains fixed!!! YAY!

Anyway, I steeped this up for morning tea – finally! I’ve wanted to try it forever because it just sounds amazing, but I’ve been sort of putting it off because I have a limited amount and what if I just love it and then can’t get anymore!? However, VariaTEA sent me a fairly large amount of it in our last swap so I decided to finally give it a go. The leaf I’m using right now actually came from BrewTEAlly Sweet as part of her tea stash sale, though.

My steeping parameters were 1 1/2 tsp. of leaf in 8 oz. of boiling water, steeped for six minutes. Dry the leaf smells kinda sweet but not really melony, and steeped up the smell is faintly melon with sort of bubble gum notes?

Taste wise? Ughhh…

That is mouth wateringly juicy! I actually really truly taste the honeydew! Which is awesome because I love honeydew! I hardly ever got to have it growing up because no one else in my family liked it. Sometimes we got watermelon which was ok because that’s my favourite melon (Honeydew is number two), but usually we got Cantaloupe which is my least favourite melon.

In addition to juicy honeydew flavours, I get a very subtle earthiness from the mate and an almost equally subtle taste of the green rooibos. There’s also bubblegum-esque notes. I’m not really sure what white hibiscus blossoms are supposed to taste like – the only other thing I’ve had them in was DT’s Buddha’s Blend and I really dislike that one. However, I don’t taste anything reminiscent of that mess of a tea at all (yay).

So overall – super impressed! I really hope this comes back with the spring collection (pretty sure that’s where it’s from) so I can get more of it. I can totally see this being my go to mate for early mornings over Main Squeeze which is also a favourite. Next up will be cold brewing this one because I’ve heard it’s good that way.

__Morgana__

Yay for fixed mouth pain!

caile

That’s great! Hope all goes well tomorrow!

VariaTEA

I am so happy to read about the dentist!! Now I will scroll up and continue reading the rest

I am glad you liked it!!

Shmiracles

wow okay, i might order this next time. i don’t drink mate but 2 of my very best people do. so i always buy them some mate when i hear of a good one. so hooray yes

Comments

__Morgana__

Yay for fixed mouth pain!

caile

That’s great! Hope all goes well tomorrow!

I am glad you liked it!!

Shmiracles

Growing up, the only tea I ever drank was bagged mint tea (especially peppermint), and mint still remains a staple flavour for me. Spearmint is my favourite. At this point in my ‘tea career’ I heavily lean towards flavoured blends; doesn’t matter if they’re fruity, chocolate, sweet, savory, etc. Blacks are my favourite as far as flavoured blends go, with whites a close second. I really enjoy everything but straight Greens though, but I’ll try anything once even if I am wary.

My favourite fruit flavours in blends are cranberry, banana, pear, lychee, melon, passion fruit and especially pineapple. I am also always excited to try anything with Saskatoon Berries, which are delicious and also my city’s namesake. I have a huge weakness towards toffee/caramel and coconut teas and a bit of a soft spot in regard to black licorice. I also adore anything creamy. I am always up for trying soda inspired blends as well because the concept fascinates me. I want to try all the Rootbeer teas! I am also currently trying to try as many Sweet Potato blends as possible.

Tastes I strongly dislike are ginger and raisins. Really, those are the only two things I intentionally avoid. I also have mixed feelings about peaches, mangoes, lemongrass, and chamomile.

In regard to straight teas, I haven’t been nearly as adventurous. I’ve yet to really explore any straight oolongs, except Milk Oolongs which weren’t really for me. In general, I really like straight black teas, especially when they have strong baked bread or malt notes. I like most straight whites, but I have a preference for silver needle teas over other types. Green teas, with the exception of Genmaicha and some Hojicha, make me feel a bit sick and I often can’t finish the cup. I can handle flavoured matcha like Red Leaf Tea sells – but straight matcha is a definite “no go”. I recently survived my first Pu’erh, and it was an alright, maybe borderline enjoyable, experience.

The ratio of cold brewed and hot tea I drink is about 50/50. As far as my cup sizes go, all my daily cold brews are done in a 25 oz. mason jar and my other mugs are 12 oz. with the exception of my Adeline infuser mug which is 16 oz. Unless otherwise specified, these are the cup sizes for all teas I review.

I prefer to drink my tea without adding anything to it, and 9/10 times that will be how I first try a blend. My belief is that milk, sugar or whatever else you add to your tea should be used to enhance an already good flavour: if the tea needs something added to it to taste good then it’s probably not good tea to begin with. The exception is Matcha; I always have my matcha whisked either into cold milk or club soda as “Matcha soda” depending on which way the flavour will be best suited. My roommate, Tre, has a very different philosophy in regard to tea, and that’s to always drown out his cup in sugar – even before tasting to see if it needs any. That’s why I don’t let him drink the good stuff ;)

The other important person in my life is my friend Robyn.

Some brief “IRL” interests: Clay/Sculpture (or visual arts in general), Improv, Mythology, Big Brother (USA and CA), and an absurdly large amount of TV shows – geeky or otherwise.

Saskatoon, SK, Canada