So, about a month (maybe more like two months) ago I went on a “I have no lemon tea options in my cupboard, so lets buy ALL the lemon teas” kick and I ended up getting like six or seven new lemon based teas – though this one was actually picked out for me during a DAVIDsTEA trip with a non-tea drinking friend who thought it smelled really nice.

I’m just now getting around to trying the sample amount I picked out and I have to say it does smell pretty lovely: like lemon drops with maybe a little orange and vanilla?

I steeped up 1 1/2 tsp. of it in 8 oz. of boiling water for four minutes and the smell is a 50/50 mix. of smooth black base and lemon rind. Taste wise, there’s definitely no vanilla here. Mostly, I taste the same 50/50 black base and lemon rind/peel – but that’s no so bad. I’m mostly just thankful that it doesn’t taste like Pledge and isn’t a cup of ungodly tartness.

I bet this would be a good sick tea…

keychange

It’s too bad there isn’t any vanilla in the taste-that would be perfect!

Cavocorax

Hahah. I love how we all go through periods like that with certain flavours. I did that with pumpkin teas!

Fjellrev

Oh yeah, I’d love a creamy lemon vanilla tea, kind of like H&S’s Wedding tea, but with a black base.

Roswell Strange

I don’t even know why it was with lemon tea, because I’m actually usually not a fan of lemon flavoured things. I can go months without even the slightest craving for something lemon, and then when I do want it, I want it baaaadddd. Now I have at least one lemon tea in every tea type except Pu’Erh, and maybe green?

VariaTEA

I can send you the last of Lemon Tart if you like, then you can add a lemon green to your collection :P

Roswell Strange

I certainly don’t need more lemon tea – but I’ll keep it in mind for our next inevitable swap ;) Perhaps it’d cold brew well.

VariaTEA

It didn’t :( However, I have a green called Strawberry Field which cold brewed pretty nicely. It was like a pleasant strawberry/papaya juice.

Though that won’t fulfill your lemon green criteria

OMGsrsly

Oh hey. Maybe I’ll mix this with the vanilla tea I have and cold brew it!

Comments

keychange

It’s too bad there isn’t any vanilla in the taste-that would be perfect!

Cavocorax

Fjellrev

Though that won’t fulfill your lemon green criteria

OMGsrsly

Oh hey. Maybe I’ll mix this with the vanilla tea I have and cold brew it!

Growing up, the only tea I ever drank was bagged mint tea (especially peppermint), and mint still remains a staple flavour for me. Spearmint is my favourite. At this point in my ‘tea career’ I heavily lean towards flavoured blends; doesn’t matter if they’re fruity, chocolate, sweet, savory, etc. Blacks are my favourite as far as flavoured blends go, with whites a close second. I really enjoy everything but straight Greens though, but I’ll try anything once even if I am wary.

My favourite fruit flavours in blends are cranberry, banana, pear, lychee, melon, passion fruit and especially pineapple. I am also always excited to try anything with Saskatoon Berries, which are delicious and also my city’s namesake. I have a huge weakness towards toffee/caramel and coconut teas and a bit of a soft spot in regard to black licorice. I also adore anything creamy. I am always up for trying soda inspired blends as well because the concept fascinates me. I want to try all the Rootbeer teas! I am also currently trying to try as many Sweet Potato blends as possible.

Tastes I strongly dislike are ginger and raisins. Really, those are the only two things I intentionally avoid. I also have mixed feelings about peaches, mangoes, lemongrass, and chamomile.

In regard to straight teas, I haven’t been nearly as adventurous. I’ve yet to really explore any straight oolongs, except Milk Oolongs which weren’t really for me. In general, I really like straight black teas, especially when they have strong baked bread or malt notes. I like most straight whites, but I have a preference for silver needle teas over other types. Green teas, with the exception of Genmaicha and some Hojicha, make me feel a bit sick and I often can’t finish the cup. I can handle flavoured matcha like Red Leaf Tea sells – but straight matcha is a definite “no go”. I recently survived my first Pu’erh, and it was an alright, maybe borderline enjoyable, experience.

The ratio of cold brewed and hot tea I drink is about 50/50. As far as my cup sizes go, all my daily cold brews are done in a 25 oz. mason jar and my other mugs are 12 oz. with the exception of my Adeline infuser mug which is 16 oz. Unless otherwise specified, these are the cup sizes for all teas I review.

I prefer to drink my tea without adding anything to it, and 9/10 times that will be how I first try a blend. My belief is that milk, sugar or whatever else you add to your tea should be used to enhance an already good flavour: if the tea needs something added to it to taste good then it’s probably not good tea to begin with. The exception is Matcha; I always have my matcha whisked either into cold milk or club soda as “Matcha soda” depending on which way the flavour will be best suited. My roommate, Tre, has a very different philosophy in regard to tea, and that’s to always drown out his cup in sugar – even before tasting to see if it needs any. That’s why I don’t let him drink the good stuff ;)

The other important person in my life is my friend Robyn.

Some brief “IRL” interests: Clay/Sculpture (or visual arts in general), Improv, Mythology, Big Brother (USA and CA), and an absurdly large amount of TV shows – geeky or otherwise.

Saskatoon, SK, Canada