drank Prairie Berry by DAVIDsTEA

Well, I just got back from the dentist and let me tell you there’s quite a lot to be done. Right now everything is going through my Dad’s insurance which kind of concerns me – we don’t have the best relationship and he goes through mood swings of “Let me be there for you however I can, whether that’s financially or otherwise!” (like right now), and “This isn’t my responsability at all – I don’t care what happens at all”. Getting everything done is going to take a while, so heavy chance of some mood swings coming my way…

For example, when I called him to summarize what the dentist said he blew up at me for letting things get this bad (I haven’t been to the dentist in probably three years). But, it’s not like I’m 30 or 40 and chose not to go: I’m 18 and this is my first year living on my own – getting check ups during those three years should have been his or my mother’s responsibility, in my opinion.

But here’s the total for things they want to do/pointed out to me:

- Remove all four wisdom teeth
- About six cavities ranging in severity
- Two = borderline in need of root canal (First step is temp. fillings)
- Prescribed two different pain medications in the meantime

That sounds like an awfully big bill…

But anyway, since they didn’t do any actual work today it looks like I get to enjoy some tea and food today! All the Saskatoon Berry excitement from last night gave me some crazy cravings for that delightful berry, so I’m starting off the tea drinking tonight with some yummy Saskatoon Berry tea to ease some of my dentistry concerns!

1 1/2 tsp. of leaf in 8 oz. of just under boiling water, steeped for four minutes. Dry, this is super Saskatoon Berry scented with a light maple syrup presence. Steeped up, the taste is sweet Saskatoon Berry puree with maple syrup and relatively strong notes of cranberries. It’s SO FREAKING GOOD.

I sort of get why it was discontinued though – Saskatoon Berries are definitely a very foreign fruit to some people (as evidenced by last night’s conversation) and also, apparently, are a bit of an acquired taste depending on your exposure to them. I grew up with them and, admittedly, it took me way too long to realize they were as well known as, say, a Strawberry.

VariaTEA

Oh god. It is good you got in there when you did and now have pain meds to deal with the pain. I had a tooth cracked open for months and was in immense pain and then they fixed the tooth only for me to be in even more pain for a while. When I finally went back it turned out I had nerve damage from the tooth cracking and when they fixed the tooth they just ended up compressing the nerve so I ended up needing a root canal. So I definitely get the pain you are in with teeth that are at the point of needing root canals. Hopefully you are able to get everything fixed before your Dad has a mood swing.

Tuscanteal

I think you’re doing the right thing in taking care of your mouth. A lot of people don’t realize how many things can stem from not doing so. Don’t worry about your dad though, water off the back ;)

Once you get your teeth back into shape, it will feel so much better. I know my bf didn’t do anything for quite some time and once I made go to my dentist, he started to feel much better about the whole thing!!!

I love Saskatoon berries, I think it’s a Canadian thing :)

JustJames

saskatoon berries rock.

oh poor you with the teeth! i would advise considering being fully out for the wisdom teeth: i was awake. really, better to be asleep. but that’s just an unsolicited opinion. maybethey can do it all at once while you’re out?

Tuscanteal

JustJames – I totally agree. general anesthesia for the win!!! I woke up not knowing what happened for the hour of my treatment. And then proceeded to cry because apparently waking up from it can make you feel that way even if you aren’t sad or in pain.

Starfevre

I am afraid of the dentist. I haven’t gone in years also. I’m considering one nearby that offers free nitro for office visits.

OMGsrsly

Oh, Saskatoon Berry pancake syrup! My favourite.

Best of luck with the dentist. When you get your wisdom teeth out, make sure there is someone to take you home. I had to convince a friend she couldn’t fly, and no, we weren’t going to drift home on the wind or take a bus, I ordered a cab. ;)

Angrboda

Good lord. I went 10+ years between dentist visits until Husband forced me to go last year. I kept saying that I would go when something was hurting and nothing did so I didn’t go. Then Husband made the appointment for me, so I had to go. I was SO scared I nearly cried while I was there, but the dentist was really sweet and kept explaining to me what she was going to do before she did it and reminded me constantly to just signal her by lifting my arm if I needed a break or felt ill or started panicking or whatever, and she took some time at first to talk to me about why I thought it was frightening. Of course it didn’t help the fear that I had imagined all sorts of things being wrong and nearly started coming to terms with needing false teeth at age 34 before going, but in the end there was one cavity, which she fixed right away, and two smaller ones which she thought I could probably stop myself by thorough flossing. Now that we’ve moved to another town, I’ve told Husband that I think we should stay with this dentist. It’s close enough to not be super inconvenient. I know her now, and I can’t face starting over with an unknown quantity again.

Comments

VariaTEA

Tuscanteal

I love Saskatoon berries, I think it’s a Canadian thing :)

JustJames

saskatoon berries rock.

Starfevre

OMGsrsly

Oh, Saskatoon Berry pancake syrup! My favourite.

Angrboda

Growing up, the only tea I ever drank was bagged mint tea (especially peppermint), and mint still remains a staple flavour for me. Spearmint is my favourite. At this point in my ‘tea career’ I heavily lean towards flavoured blends; doesn’t matter if they’re fruity, chocolate, sweet, savory, etc. Blacks are my favourite as far as flavoured blends go, with whites a close second. I really enjoy everything but straight Greens though, but I’ll try anything once even if I am wary.

My favourite fruit flavours in blends are cranberry, banana, pear, lychee, melon, passion fruit and especially pineapple. I am also always excited to try anything with Saskatoon Berries, which are delicious and also my city’s namesake. I have a huge weakness towards toffee/caramel and coconut teas and a bit of a soft spot in regard to black licorice. I also adore anything creamy. I am always up for trying soda inspired blends as well because the concept fascinates me. I want to try all the Rootbeer teas! I am also currently trying to try as many Sweet Potato blends as possible.

Tastes I strongly dislike are ginger and raisins. Really, those are the only two things I intentionally avoid. I also have mixed feelings about peaches, mangoes, lemongrass, and chamomile.

In regard to straight teas, I haven’t been nearly as adventurous. I’ve yet to really explore any straight oolongs, except Milk Oolongs which weren’t really for me. In general, I really like straight black teas, especially when they have strong baked bread or malt notes. I like most straight whites, but I have a preference for silver needle teas over other types. Green teas, with the exception of Genmaicha and some Hojicha, make me feel a bit sick and I often can’t finish the cup. I can handle flavoured matcha like Red Leaf Tea sells – but straight matcha is a definite “no go”. I recently survived my first Pu’erh, and it was an alright, maybe borderline enjoyable, experience.

The ratio of cold brewed and hot tea I drink is about 50/50. As far as my cup sizes go, all my daily cold brews are done in a 25 oz. mason jar and my other mugs are 12 oz. with the exception of my Adeline infuser mug which is 16 oz. Unless otherwise specified, these are the cup sizes for all teas I review.

I prefer to drink my tea without adding anything to it, and 9/10 times that will be how I first try a blend. My belief is that milk, sugar or whatever else you add to your tea should be used to enhance an already good flavour: if the tea needs something added to it to taste good then it’s probably not good tea to begin with. The exception is Matcha; I always have my matcha whisked either into cold milk or club soda as “Matcha soda” depending on which way the flavour will be best suited. My roommate, Tre, has a very different philosophy in regard to tea, and that’s to always drown out his cup in sugar – even before tasting to see if it needs any. That’s why I don’t let him drink the good stuff ;)

The other important person in my life is my friend Robyn.

Some brief “IRL” interests: Clay/Sculpture (or visual arts in general), Improv, Mythology, Big Brother (USA and CA), and an absurdly large amount of TV shows – geeky or otherwise.

Saskatoon, SK, Canada