Heh, I forgot I steeped this up and it’s been sitting for like 20 minutes in my kitchen – and here I am like an idiot playing Pokemon and wondering why the house smells so yummy and buttery when no one’s cooked anything or used any butter or anything like that all day. At least I apparently took the teaball out before I forgot about making it…

Derp.

So actually, the original reason for making this was to work on using up some of the really old leaf (meaning, from late August /13 – which I suppose isn’t too long ago) I have from DAVIDsTEA. This was one of my very “first” discoveries. I think it was actually from my first big purchase, to be honest. First DAVIDsTEA purchase, for myself, was Birthday Cake – and the second was 100g of six or seven different teas. I bet, if I thought really hard (or just read the labels on the tins) I could remember which ones they were, too…

Birthday Cake
Buttered Rum
Peppermint Amour
Salted Caramel
Pink Flamingo
Love Tea #7
Movie Night

Yeah, that sounds right. I still enjoy most of those quite a lot. Yay me, for picking out some really good ones as beginning teas! Anyway, this cup in particular is really coconut heavy and rich – but sadly the butterscotch notes I usually enjoy are a bit milder than I would prefer. I’m a little tempted to go make a mug of hot chocolate infused with some of this, because that’s really tasty. But I think not…

It’s getting a little late considering I’d like to get back to having a more ‘work appropriate’ sleep schedule, for when I inevitably have a job again. So maybe no more tea tonight. I had a pretty good tea day, though! No really major misses out of the new teas I tried.

VariaTEA

MY FIRST PURCHASE WAS BIRTHDAY CAKE TOOO!!!!!! OMG!!!!!!!! Actually, I bought others at the same time but the reason I want to Davids was to try their Birthday Cake tea.

VariaTEA

I realize now my excitement might have been slightly excessive.

Roswell Strange

Technically my first purchase was Birthday Cake and Quangzhou Milk Oolong, both for my friend Skylar as a birthday present. She’s probably the biggest tea drinking friend I have (rivaled only by Robyn, whom lives here in S’toon with me) – and a HUGE part of why I even got into tea. It makes me sad because she’s a city away and I don’t get to talk tea/have tea with her plus I moved here before I really got into tea, so I’ve never really gotten to flip out about it with her. But I kept buying the Birthday Cake for tea drinking friends as a gimmicky kind of gift. It was a combination of my Mom coming back from China with some loose leaf that was yummy (I have no idea what it was, thinking back on it: it was heavily fruity and totally has hibiscus and other berries but there’s a darker kind of tea leaf in it, maybe an oolong) and getting really curious about the Birthday Cake I kept buying people that finally got me to try it. And look where I am now…

Roswell Strange

Also, that was an unnecessarily long reply.

Haha I liked it.

I got into tea because I got sick and then decided I liked tea enough while I was sick, I would try other teas. And when I looked up DAVIDs online (having always walked by but never gone in) and saw they had a Birthday Cake tea I was sold. Then I started drinking teas and now here we are.

Plus, once I got into teas, it became more of a thing among my friends. Now when we hang out, we have “tea parties” which basically means we do what we usually did and I bring tea :P.

Roswell Strange

I grew up with bagged mint teas, and when I worked at the movie theatre my favourite thing ever was Bigelow’s Mint Medley drowned in cream when I had early morning/opening shifts. It kept me awake and alert. But other than that and the very occasional other teabag (usually a cinnamon/apple herbal) I jumped straight from bagged mint to loose leaf. I don’t think I’d ever tried a bagged tea with actual tea (just herbals) prior to drinking loose leaf…

Roswell Strange

Oh, yes I had! RiverBlend Plantation’s Saskatoon Berry – which is black. I didn’t like it, at first. I didn’t know about tea getting bitter, though. So I was heavily oversteeping.

Comments

VariaTEA

VariaTEA

I realize now my excitement might have been slightly excessive.

Roswell Strange

Also, that was an unnecessarily long reply.

Haha I liked it.

Roswell Strange

Growing up, the only teas I ever drank were bagged mint teas (especially peppermint), and mint still remains a staple flavour for me. My favourite teas are flavoured ones (doesn’t matter if they’re fruity, chocolate, sweet, savory, etc). And thus far in my tea journey, blacks are my favourite as far as flavoured blends go, but I’ve also developed a very strong liking towards mate and whites. For the most part, I really enjoy everything else as well. The exception is green tea – which I very much dislike. I have found a few heavily flavoured greens that I enjoy, but I’m always very wary in trying green blends.

My favourite fruit flavours in regard to tea blends are cranberry, banana, pear, lychee, melon, passion fruit and especially pineapple (pineapple is my favourite fruit). I am also always excited to try anything with Saskatoon Berries, which are delicious and also my city’s namesake. I also have a huge weakness towards toffee/caramel teas and a bit of a soft spot in regard to black licorice. And I adore anything creamy. Since I’ve used flavoured teas as a way to cut out soda from my diet, I am always up for trying soda inspired blends. I want to try all the Rootbeer teas!

Tastes I strongly dislike are ginger (I tend to avoid blends which mention ginger as an ingredient), and raisins (I’ll typically flat out refuse to try anything with raisins – I hate them that much). Really, those are the only two things I intentionally avoid. I also have mixed feelings about peaches, mangoes, lemongrass, and chamomile.

In regard to straight teas, I haven’t been nearly as adventurous. I’ve yet to really explore any straight oolongs, except Milk Oolongs which weren’t really for me. In general, I really like straight black teas, especially when they have strong baked bread or malt notes. I like most straight whites, but I especially adore silver needle teas. Green teas, with the exception of Genmaicha and some Hojicha, make me feel a bit sick and I can’t finish the cup. I can handle flavoured matcha like Red Leaf Tea sells – but straight matcha is a definite “no go”. I recently survived my first Pu’erh, and it was an alright, maybe borderline enjoyable, experience.

As far as cold brewing goes, I do prefer to have my tea hot – but I always keep a selection of herbals and fruit blends to cold steep. I do a daily 25 oz. cold brew which I either have first thing with breakfast or take in a thermos to drink at work, in addition to the hot Timolino(s) I also bring with every work shift. On average, I have six cups of tea a day.

I prefer to drink my tea without adding anything to it, and that’s always how I first try a tea. My belief is that milk, sugar or whatever else you add to your tea should be used to enhance an already good flavour: if the tea needs something added to it to taste good then it’s probably not good tea to begin with. The exception is Matcha; I always have my matcha whisked either into cold milk or club soda as “tea soda” depending on which way the flavour will be best suited. My roommate, Tre, has a very different philosophy in regard to tea, and that’s to always drown out his cup in sugar – even before tasting to see if it needs any. That’s why I don’t let him drink the good stuff ;)

As far as ratings go, I try to rate things comparatively to other teas I’ve tried. If I like it less than something rated, say, a 90 then it wont be rated more than a 90. Instead I’ll try to find a rated tea I like about the same amount and then the tea I’m drinking gets rated that number. If I find I like it in between two rated teas then I’ll rate in a number in between those ratings. I also wont restock anything with a rating lower than 80, unless it’s a bagged tea (but bagged teas need to have a rating of at least 75 for me to consider stocking them).

The other important people in my life, within my new city, are my friends Robyn and Kristina.

Kristina is also a friend from highschool, though not nearly as close. We’ve become much closer since she moved here a few months after I did and we both realized we knew hardly anyone.

She lives less than 10 minutes from my house, and is over here a fairly large amount of time. Recently, she’s also undertaken the huge task of introducing me to Metal music and slowly getting my involved in the metal community here in Saskatoon. It’s a work in progress.

She’s not a tea drinker, but thankfully she’s always excited to hear me ramble and is often really amused by the teas I take with me different places.

I’m very much into clay and sculpture and, if I’m being honest and not modest, I’m really good at it. I also play way too much Pokemon for my own good, and watch more TV than one person should. I’m a huge sap and cry during TV and movies all the time, even if nothing terribly sad is happening.

I’m really wordy and have this tendency to write way more than is necessary or relevant, and that often carries into my tasting notes and reviews.I feel like that probably gets annoying for the people following me…

And, on that note I think I should maybe shut up a little bit now?

Saskatoon, SK, Canada