Heh, I forgot I steeped this up and it’s been sitting for like 20 minutes in my kitchen – and here I am like an idiot playing Pokemon and wondering why the house smells so yummy and buttery when no one’s cooked anything or used any butter or anything like that all day. At least I apparently took the teaball out before I forgot about making it…

Derp.

So actually, the original reason for making this was to work on using up some of the really old leaf (meaning, from late August /13 – which I suppose isn’t too long ago) I have from DAVIDsTEA. This was one of my very “first” discoveries. I think it was actually from my first big purchase, to be honest. First DAVIDsTEA purchase, for myself, was Birthday Cake – and the second was 100g of six or seven different teas. I bet, if I thought really hard (or just read the labels on the tins) I could remember which ones they were, too…

Birthday Cake
Buttered Rum
Peppermint Amour
Salted Caramel
Pink Flamingo
Love Tea #7
Movie Night

Yeah, that sounds right. I still enjoy most of those quite a lot. Yay me, for picking out some really good ones as beginning teas! Anyway, this cup in particular is really coconut heavy and rich – but sadly the butterscotch notes I usually enjoy are a bit milder than I would prefer. I’m a little tempted to go make a mug of hot chocolate infused with some of this, because that’s really tasty. But I think not…

It’s getting a little late considering I’d like to get back to having a more ‘work appropriate’ sleep schedule, for when I inevitably have a job again. So maybe no more tea tonight. I had a pretty good tea day, though! No really major misses out of the new teas I tried.

VariaTEA

MY FIRST PURCHASE WAS BIRTHDAY CAKE TOOO!!!!!! OMG!!!!!!!! Actually, I bought others at the same time but the reason I want to Davids was to try their Birthday Cake tea.

VariaTEA

I realize now my excitement might have been slightly excessive.

Roswell Strange

Technically my first purchase was Birthday Cake and Quangzhou Milk Oolong, both for my friend Skylar as a birthday present. She’s probably the biggest tea drinking friend I have (rivaled only by Robyn, whom lives here in S’toon with me) – and a HUGE part of why I even got into tea. It makes me sad because she’s a city away and I don’t get to talk tea/have tea with her plus I moved here before I really got into tea, so I’ve never really gotten to flip out about it with her. But I kept buying the Birthday Cake for tea drinking friends as a gimmicky kind of gift. It was a combination of my Mom coming back from China with some loose leaf that was yummy (I have no idea what it was, thinking back on it: it was heavily fruity and totally has hibiscus and other berries but there’s a darker kind of tea leaf in it, maybe an oolong) and getting really curious about the Birthday Cake I kept buying people that finally got me to try it. And look where I am now…

Roswell Strange

Also, that was an unnecessarily long reply.

Haha I liked it.

I got into tea because I got sick and then decided I liked tea enough while I was sick, I would try other teas. And when I looked up DAVIDs online (having always walked by but never gone in) and saw they had a Birthday Cake tea I was sold. Then I started drinking teas and now here we are.

Plus, once I got into teas, it became more of a thing among my friends. Now when we hang out, we have “tea parties” which basically means we do what we usually did and I bring tea :P.

Roswell Strange

I grew up with bagged mint teas, and when I worked at the movie theatre my favourite thing ever was Bigelow’s Mint Medley drowned in cream when I had early morning/opening shifts. It kept me awake and alert. But other than that and the very occasional other teabag (usually a cinnamon/apple herbal) I jumped straight from bagged mint to loose leaf. I don’t think I’d ever tried a bagged tea with actual tea (just herbals) prior to drinking loose leaf…

Roswell Strange

Oh, yes I had! RiverBlend Plantation’s Saskatoon Berry – which is black. I didn’t like it, at first. I didn’t know about tea getting bitter, though. So I was heavily oversteeping.

Comments

VariaTEA

VariaTEA

I realize now my excitement might have been slightly excessive.

Roswell Strange

Also, that was an unnecessarily long reply.

Haha I liked it.

Roswell Strange

Growing up, the only tea I ever drank was bagged mint tea (especially peppermint), and mint still remains a staple flavour for me. Spearmint is my favourite. At this point in my ‘tea career’ I heavily lean towards flavoured blends; doesn’t matter if they’re fruity, chocolate, sweet, savory, etc. Blacks are my favourite as far as flavoured blends go, with whites a close second. I really enjoy everything but straight Greens though, but I’ll try anything once even if I am wary.

My favourite fruit flavours in blends are cranberry, banana, pear, lychee, melon, passion fruit and especially pineapple. I am also always excited to try anything with Saskatoon Berries, which are delicious and also my city’s namesake. I have a huge weakness towards toffee/caramel and coconut teas and a bit of a soft spot in regard to black licorice. I also adore anything creamy. I am always up for trying soda inspired blends as well because the concept fascinates me. I want to try all the Rootbeer teas! I am also currently trying to try as many Sweet Potato blends as possible.

Tastes I strongly dislike are ginger and raisins. Really, those are the only two things I intentionally avoid. I also have mixed feelings about peaches, mangoes, lemongrass, and chamomile.

In regard to straight teas, I haven’t been nearly as adventurous. I’ve yet to really explore any straight oolongs, except Milk Oolongs which weren’t really for me. In general, I really like straight black teas, especially when they have strong baked bread or malt notes. I like most straight whites, but I have a preference for silver needle teas over other types. Green teas, with the exception of Genmaicha and some Hojicha, make me feel a bit sick and I often can’t finish the cup. I can handle flavoured matcha like Red Leaf Tea sells – but straight matcha is a definite “no go”. I recently survived my first Pu’erh, and it was an alright, maybe borderline enjoyable, experience.

The ratio of cold brewed and hot tea I drink is about 50/50. As far as my cup sizes go, all my daily cold brews are done in a 25 oz. mason jar and my other mugs are 12 oz. with the exception of my Adeline infuser mug which is 16 oz. Unless otherwise specified, these are the cup sizes for all teas I review.

I prefer to drink my tea without adding anything to it, and 9/10 times that will be how I first try a blend. My belief is that milk, sugar or whatever else you add to your tea should be used to enhance an already good flavour: if the tea needs something added to it to taste good then it’s probably not good tea to begin with. The exception is Matcha; I always have my matcha whisked either into cold milk or club soda as “Matcha soda” depending on which way the flavour will be best suited. My roommate, Tre, has a very different philosophy in regard to tea, and that’s to always drown out his cup in sugar – even before tasting to see if it needs any. That’s why I don’t let him drink the good stuff ;)

The other important person in my life is my friend Robyn.

Some brief “IRL” interests: Clay/Sculpture (or visual arts in general), Improv, Mythology, Big Brother (USA and CA), and an absurdly large amount of TV shows – geeky or otherwise.

Saskatoon, SK, Canada