Well, I’m back to sobbing like a baby – but this time because I just finished watching Chuck (finally done the series!) and it was really emotional and made me a blubbering mess. Also, I hate that ending! Fuck open endings – I want happy conclusions!

Anyway, I made two new teas to drink with the last episode and this was one. Sample is courtesy of VariaTEA. This is something I was curious about, but not enough so to have bought for myself – so getting a sample of it was great. Dry, it smells a little like peanut butter and has a sort of sour “tang” to it that I imagine is intended to be the cheesecake.

For steeping parameters, I went with just shy of 2 tsp. in 10 oz. of boiling water. I’m not sure how long this was steeped, but it was a while. At least five minutes.

Taste wise, at first I wasn’t getting a whole lot. A little bit of very light chocolate and peanut butter flavour, and a sort of peppery taste from the honeybush. Then, the more I drank the more flavour I got. The honeybush lost the peppery quality it had, and the peanut butter got a bit more intense, though the chocolate stayed about the same. I also started to pick up a tangy and almost sour flavour in the aftertaste which would be the “cheesecake”. The colder the tea got, the stronger I found both the cheesecake and peanut butter notes to be, so that by the end of the cup I would say that, yes, this was a cheesecake tea (especially in the aftertaste).

I’m quite happy I have one, maybe two, more cups of this because it did get a whole bunch better by the end of the cup. My mind isn’t made up yet about whether I’d want more, so I’m glad to have a few more cups to decide that as well. In any case, I’d have to wait for a reblend and I’d want my cupboard to be more under control.

Thanks, VariaTEA!

VariaTEA

I will have to let this cool a bit because I was not overly impressed with it. Also, I started watching Chuck but then got distracted by Covert Affairs. Perhaps I should return to Chuck.

Roswell Strange

Only watch it if you’re ok with becoming way too emotionally involved with the characters – because I’m just so heart broken right now. D:

VariaTEA

haha. I will keep that in mind.

Comments

VariaTEA

Roswell Strange

VariaTEA

haha. I will keep that in mind.

Growing up, the only tea I ever drank was bagged mint tea (especially peppermint), and mint still remains a staple flavour for me. Spearmint is my favourite. At this point in my ‘tea career’ I heavily lean towards flavoured blends; doesn’t matter if they’re fruity, chocolate, sweet, savory, etc. Blacks are my favourite as far as flavoured blends go, with whites a close second. I really enjoy everything but straight Greens though, but I’ll try anything once even if I am wary.

My favourite fruit flavours in blends are cranberry, banana, pear, lychee, melon, passion fruit and especially pineapple. I am also always excited to try anything with Saskatoon Berries, which are delicious and also my city’s namesake. I have a huge weakness towards toffee/caramel and coconut teas and a bit of a soft spot in regard to black licorice. I also adore anything creamy. I am always up for trying soda inspired blends as well because the concept fascinates me. I want to try all the Rootbeer teas! I am also currently trying to try as many Sweet Potato blends as possible.

Tastes I strongly dislike are ginger and raisins. Really, those are the only two things I intentionally avoid. I also have mixed feelings about peaches, mangoes, lemongrass, and chamomile.

In regard to straight teas, I haven’t been nearly as adventurous. I’ve yet to really explore any straight oolongs, except Milk Oolongs which weren’t really for me. In general, I really like straight black teas, especially when they have strong baked bread or malt notes. I like most straight whites, but I have a preference for silver needle teas over other types. Green teas, with the exception of Genmaicha and some Hojicha, make me feel a bit sick and I often can’t finish the cup. I can handle flavoured matcha like Red Leaf Tea sells – but straight matcha is a definite “no go”. I recently survived my first Pu’erh, and it was an alright, maybe borderline enjoyable, experience.

The ratio of cold brewed and hot tea I drink is about 50/50. As far as my cup sizes go, all my daily cold brews are done in a 25 oz. mason jar and my other mugs are 12 oz. with the exception of my Adeline infuser mug which is 16 oz. Unless otherwise specified, these are the cup sizes for all teas I review.

I prefer to drink my tea without adding anything to it, and 9/10 times that will be how I first try a blend. My belief is that milk, sugar or whatever else you add to your tea should be used to enhance an already good flavour: if the tea needs something added to it to taste good then it’s probably not good tea to begin with. The exception is Matcha; I always have my matcha whisked either into cold milk or club soda as “Matcha soda” depending on which way the flavour will be best suited. My roommate, Tre, has a very different philosophy in regard to tea, and that’s to always drown out his cup in sugar – even before tasting to see if it needs any. That’s why I don’t let him drink the good stuff ;)

The other important person in my life is my friend Robyn.

Some brief “IRL” interests: Clay/Sculpture (or visual arts in general), Improv, Mythology, Big Brother (USA and CA), and an absurdly large amount of TV shows – geeky or otherwise.

Saskatoon, SK, Canada