Sipdown (204)!

Got a sample of this from Janelle awhile back and have been waiting to drink it up. Mostly my dilemma was that there was just one jellybean in the same but enough rooibos/other stuff there for two or maybe even three cups. The solution, of course, was the beautiful Mason Jar mug from Keychange which was large enough to let me steep up the whole sample and make sure that the jellybean was included in everything.

That said, while the mason jar is amazing and has practically not left my hands since getting it, the tea fell flat. Really flat.

The taste I got was this super artificial and soapy muddled orange/strawberry flavour with wood chippy and borderline medicinal rooibos. I really don’t often get that medicinal quality from rooibos – but when I do it’s quite unpleasant and very unwelcome. I did finish the full mug in the hopes that the flavour would shift for the better as the temperature changed, but no such luck.

Yucky.

VariaTEA

You and keychange are slowly breaking down my resistance to the mason jar. I almost got one the other day but then decided I would rather use my mugs and spend the money on more tea. Perhaps that was dumb though because the mason jar would help me get through my excess of tea faster as opposed to more tea which exploded my cupboard.

Roswell Strange

I’m drinking something in it right now – but then I’m gonna clean it out and try cold steeping in it. Just trying to decide what to cold steep…

VariaTEA

Lemon Chiffon was really good cold steeped if you haven’t tried it yet.

keychange

You really should just break down and get it, VariaTea! I’m about to lose my mason jar virginity very soon, myself. Because this baby needs to be used!

VariaTEA

Soon. It will happen soon I am sure.

Comments

VariaTEA

Roswell Strange

VariaTEA

Lemon Chiffon was really good cold steeped if you haven’t tried it yet.

keychange

VariaTEA

Soon. It will happen soon I am sure.

Hello;

My name is Kelly. I’m a twenty something tea drinker and reviewer living in Saskatchewan, Canada. I started drinking loose leaf fairly casually three(ish) years ago, and at some point between then and now that ‘fun little hobby’ turned into a serious obsession.

You know you’ve got it bad when you get your hobby tattooed to your arm.

I’m a TAC trained Tea Sommelier!

My default for preparation is Western Style with zero additives (the exception being matcha which I drink in straight milk with no additives) so unless I mention otherwise you can assume that’s how I’ve prepared my tea!

Least favourite flavours/ingredients:

I’ve got four Tea Pets:

Two Pixiu Dragons named Zak and Wheezie, a monkey named Enzo, and a carp named Bergamot. If you see me writing about sharing tea with any of them that’s what I’m talking about ;)

I also have one real life pet:

A skinny pig hairless guinea pig named Eilert, after Henrik Ibsen’s play Hedda Gabler. He’s pretty chill, but a greedy little fella who’ll rip food right out of your hands. Sometimes he joins me for tea time even though he never gets to participate.

Currently I’m seasonally employed at DAVIDsTEA. While I’m still reviewing DAVIDsTEA blends I am no longer numerically rating them due to the obvious conflict of interest. Any tea blends you currently see with a numeric score that are from DAVIDsTEA were reviewed prior to my being hired there.

The URL to my tumblr blog is: guyfierithirdandfinalantichrist

Regina, SK, Canada