So, I can’t say I’ve actually ever had Candy Corn before now. It’s not that I was specifically avoiding it or didn’t want to try it or anything like that, it just has honestly never crossed my path until now and I never actively sought it out as something to try. I honestly didn’t even have an idea of what candy corn was supposed to taste like. Does it have a flavour? People just call it… Well, candy corn.

That said, before I actually brewed up my mug of this I took a look through the sample provided by Lala and came to come conclusions. There was enough leaf for about two decent sized cups but there were three pieces of candy corn so I figured that I could use a piece for each cup and eat one straight away to see what it was supposed to taste like. It tasted kind of like very, very sweet caramel to me. How have I not figured that out by now!? I love caramel.

So, I steeped some up basically just expecting a very sweet caramel-y black tea. I was actually pretty surprised that the whole thing melted! The taste was pretty accurate to what I expected though: highly sugary and slightly caramel flavoured black. Based on my one taste of candy corn I guess I can somewhat authentically and accurately say that it was pretty bang on? You know, ‘cause I’m obviously a candy corn expert now ;)

Actually though, it did start to get a little too much by the end of the cup though – almost cloying. One cup left: I’m sure it’ll be an easy enough sip down, though I don’t think I’m attached enough to be sad it’s gone.

Roswell Strange

Testing? Apparently we can’t comment on our own tasting notes?

Suziqzer

Love that you’re an expert after 1 candy corn ;). Love it!

Comments

Roswell Strange

Testing? Apparently we can’t comment on our own tasting notes?

Suziqzer

Love that you’re an expert after 1 candy corn ;). Love it!

Growing up, the only tea I ever drank was bagged mint tea (especially peppermint), and mint still remains a staple flavour for me. Spearmint is my favourite. At this point in my ‘tea career’ I heavily lean towards flavoured blends; doesn’t matter if they’re fruity, chocolate, sweet, savory, etc. Blacks are my favourite as far as flavoured blends go, with whites a close second. I really enjoy everything but straight Greens though, but I’ll try anything once even if I am wary.

My favourite fruit flavours in blends are cranberry, banana, pear, lychee, melon, passion fruit and especially pineapple. I am also always excited to try anything with Saskatoon Berries, which are delicious and also my city’s namesake. I have a huge weakness towards toffee/caramel and coconut teas and a bit of a soft spot in regard to black licorice. I also adore anything creamy. I am always up for trying soda inspired blends as well because the concept fascinates me. I want to try all the Rootbeer teas! I am also currently trying to try as many Sweet Potato blends as possible.

Tastes I strongly dislike are ginger and raisins. Really, those are the only two things I intentionally avoid. I also have mixed feelings about peaches, mangoes, lemongrass, and chamomile.

In regard to straight teas, I haven’t been nearly as adventurous. I’ve yet to really explore any straight oolongs, except Milk Oolongs which weren’t really for me. In general, I really like straight black teas, especially when they have strong baked bread or malt notes. I like most straight whites, but I have a preference for silver needle teas over other types. Green teas, with the exception of Genmaicha and some Hojicha, make me feel a bit sick and I often can’t finish the cup. I can handle flavoured matcha like Red Leaf Tea sells – but straight matcha is a definite “no go”. I recently survived my first Pu’erh, and it was an alright, maybe borderline enjoyable, experience.

The ratio of cold brewed and hot tea I drink is about 50/50. As far as my cup sizes go, all my daily cold brews are done in a 25 oz. mason jar and my other mugs are 12 oz. with the exception of my Adeline infuser mug which is 16 oz. Unless otherwise specified, these are the cup sizes for all teas I review.

I prefer to drink my tea without adding anything to it, and 9/10 times that will be how I first try a blend. My belief is that milk, sugar or whatever else you add to your tea should be used to enhance an already good flavour: if the tea needs something added to it to taste good then it’s probably not good tea to begin with. The exception is Matcha; I always have my matcha whisked either into cold milk or club soda as “Matcha soda” depending on which way the flavour will be best suited. My roommate, Tre, has a very different philosophy in regard to tea, and that’s to always drown out his cup in sugar – even before tasting to see if it needs any. That’s why I don’t let him drink the good stuff ;)

The other important person in my life is my friend Robyn.

Some brief “IRL” interests: Clay/Sculpture (or visual arts in general), Improv, Mythology, Big Brother (USA and CA), and an absurdly large amount of TV shows – geeky or otherwise.

Saskatoon, SK, Canada