reviewed David's Mason Jar by DAVIDsTEA
2067 tasting notes

I figured I’d finally add the teaware I own that’s already in the database to my cupboard and post reviews or whatever. That seems like maybe a thing I should do. I admit, it does weird me out that it’ll get counted as part of my cupboard now, though.

Does that bother other people at all? When you tell people the number of teas in your cupboard do you just mentally keep track of what is and isn’t teaware and subtract that from your total? Am I just totally over thinking things? It’s probably that last one, right?

Anyway, as I’ve made sure to point out (because credit is due where credit is due) this was an amazing, unprompted and totally unexpected gift from that absolutely fucking amazing Keychange who was just too damn thoughtful for her own good. Being a gift, I really have no right to complain about it – but regardless (and also thankfully) there really is zero to complain about.

Visually, this is just BEAUTIFUL and it really lets you see and enjoy your tea (the first clear glass brewing mug/device/whatever you want to call it) I’ve owned. In addition to that, it has a massive brew basket which is just great for steeping (I feel like this will often be used for oolongs, now) and which I’ve already found handy for sipdowns and decreasing the quantity of tea I have lots of leaf for. A word of caution, however, you should probably know that the tea you’re making is one you like because you’re going to be drinking lots of it ;)

Well, that or don’t fill it to capacity.

But, speaking of capacity this is great! I often dislike that my timolinos are only 12 oz. (slightly more than the largest mugs in the house) because if I want to sit and drink something straight through a TV episode or movie I’m likely going to run out of something to drink. Not the case anymore! I can also seeing this being a benefit to road trips (thinking of the drive between Saskatoon and Regina) or long outings (though I haven’t yet tested how leak proof this is).

Since opening it, it practically hasn’t left my hands – except for now while it’s in the fridge. I’m currently cold brewing in it because it’s basically the perfect thing to cold brew in because A) it’s the right size can you say great for the summer and B) it’ll be so easy to just pull the strainer out instead of manually straining it. Normally that wouldn’t be a problem, but my nice strainer was left in Regina when I was there in January, so it’s been hectic straining my cold brews recently.

Just, overall I am very impressed.

10/10 – Would TOTALLY recommend.

keychange

I am so so so so happy you love it, roswell! and you can totally complain about it when/if you ever notice any problems—speaking of credit, I didn’t design it LOL (although honestly, whoever did is friggin incredible).

Comments

keychange

Growing up, the only tea I ever drank was bagged mint tea (especially peppermint), and mint still remains a staple flavour for me. Spearmint is my favourite. At this point in my ‘tea career’ I heavily lean towards flavoured blends; doesn’t matter if they’re fruity, chocolate, sweet, savory, etc. Blacks are my favourite as far as flavoured blends go, with whites a close second. I really enjoy everything but straight Greens though, but I’ll try anything once even if I am wary.

My favourite fruit flavours in blends are cranberry, banana, pear, lychee, melon, passion fruit and especially pineapple. I am also always excited to try anything with Saskatoon Berries, which are delicious and also my city’s namesake. I have a huge weakness towards toffee/caramel and coconut teas and a bit of a soft spot in regard to black licorice. I also adore anything creamy. I am always up for trying soda inspired blends as well because the concept fascinates me. I want to try all the Rootbeer teas! I am also currently trying to try as many Sweet Potato blends as possible.

Tastes I strongly dislike are ginger and raisins. Really, those are the only two things I intentionally avoid. I also have mixed feelings about peaches, mangoes, lemongrass, and chamomile.

In regard to straight teas, I haven’t been nearly as adventurous. I’ve yet to really explore any straight oolongs, except Milk Oolongs which weren’t really for me. In general, I really like straight black teas, especially when they have strong baked bread or malt notes. I like most straight whites, but I have a preference for silver needle teas over other types. Green teas, with the exception of Genmaicha and some Hojicha, make me feel a bit sick and I often can’t finish the cup. I can handle flavoured matcha like Red Leaf Tea sells – but straight matcha is a definite “no go”. I recently survived my first Pu’erh, and it was an alright, maybe borderline enjoyable, experience.

The ratio of cold brewed and hot tea I drink is about 50/50. As far as my cup sizes go, all my daily cold brews are done in a 25 oz. mason jar and my other mugs are 12 oz. with the exception of my Adeline infuser mug which is 16 oz. Unless otherwise specified, these are the cup sizes for all teas I review.

I prefer to drink my tea without adding anything to it, and 9/10 times that will be how I first try a blend. My belief is that milk, sugar or whatever else you add to your tea should be used to enhance an already good flavour: if the tea needs something added to it to taste good then it’s probably not good tea to begin with. The exception is Matcha; I always have my matcha whisked either into cold milk or club soda as “Matcha soda” depending on which way the flavour will be best suited. My roommate, Tre, has a very different philosophy in regard to tea, and that’s to always drown out his cup in sugar – even before tasting to see if it needs any. That’s why I don’t let him drink the good stuff ;)

The other important person in my life is my friend Robyn.

Some brief “IRL” interests: Clay/Sculpture (or visual arts in general), Improv, Mythology, Big Brother (USA and CA), and an absurdly large amount of TV shows – geeky or otherwise.

Saskatoon, SK, Canada