reviewed Timolino (12 oz) by Timolino

So, 8/10 times I’m extremely happy with my timolino(s) – both of which are 12 oz.

I find most things travel really well in it, and in my black timolino the heat is retained exceptionally well. However, for whatever reason my white timolino (which is the newer of the two) holds in the heat noticeably less and I can’t figure out why. The seal isn’t broken and the lid screws on the exact same. I’ve typically been able to make it work for me, though – I just make whichever tea I want to drink first in that timolino.

Ideally, I’d like for the brew basket to be a bit larger but it works for what I use it for and I’m normally pretty happy with it. I just sometimes have issues with, say, oolongs which can’t expand as well. Also, the first one I bought (the black one) came with a broken brew basket which would sink to the bottom and cause things to be steeped for an ungodly long time – but the DAVIDsTEA store I got it from provided me with a new brew basket, no questions asked and I haven’t had issues with it coming unattached during brewing since.

The only other thing I would maybe complain about is the fact that sometimes they pick up the scent/flavour of previously brewed teas (I had lots of issues with Currant Affair) even if very thoroughly cleaned in between use. Not really a huge deal, though.

Overall a satisfied customer – enough so I bought a second, right! ;)

carol who

I have a Teavana tumbler that looks just like your Timolino but in a different color. I have to say this tumbler keeps it very hot. I’ve found that I can’t put water hotter than 185 degrees in it if I want to drink it anytime soon. I always takes some with me for after my walk (3 miles daily) at the rec center. It sits out in the freezing cold in the winter (-16 last week) and it was still too hot to drink. I don’t use the filter basket too often but have never had any problems with it. Besides working well, it looks very nice.

Roswell Strange

When I say doesn’t hold temp. as well – I should elaborate. The black one (the ‘better’ of the two) will keep water at boiling, practically undrinkable, temperatures for anywhere between five and nine hours. The white only holds that same level of heat for three to six, or so, hours. So – they do hold pretty well. When I was working, I took a cold bottle of tea to drink first during my shift, and then a hot to drink later in the day after it had cooled significantly.

Fjellrev

Contingos are available at Costco, right? I forgot to check last time I was there. Either way, I think Timolinos are worth the price. I’ve had mine for nearly a year and it’s like new.

carol who

I had received my Teavana tumbler as a gift in one of their gift package. So mine was really cheap!

Cavocorax

I love mine. I just wish it were easier to clean right at the bottom. I think I’m just staining it. If it were a yixing that’d be ok…

Cavo – denture thingies lol
swedish chef – yeah 2 for 20$ @ costco :) and i don’t have to take the lid off to drink

Fjellrev

Hot damn, that’s a steal. Does it have a good lip thingy, not too thick and all that jazz?

And I second the denture thingies.

contigo = plastic/rubber type lip thingy. gets a bit warm sometimes, but not terribly so..less so than metal :) they’re leak proof as well

…hence my inability to justify timloino pricing, though i really want one :)

tigress_al

I also have 2 and really enjoy them. They keep tea really hot and don’t leak if sealed properly. I got them both as gifts, so 2 thumbs up!
Good tip on the denture tabs for cleaning, I will have to try that!

Cavocorax

Thanks guys. I keep forgetting but I WILL get denture tablets. (I also want to dissolve those to help clean my counter)

cavo – worse case just get some from me..i bought a giant box AND i have the cleaner from mandala… so i’m set

Awesome – thanks Sil!

looseTman

Sil,
“I would love one of these but i just can’t justify the price when the contigo’s i have are more than half the price and hold the temp forever…”

Have you thought about writing a review of the Contigo? I for one would be interested in learning more about your experience with it and how it compares to the Timolino or Zojirushi. Thanks!

Comments

carol who

Roswell Strange

Cavo – denture thingies lol

Fjellrev

And I second the denture thingies.

…hence my inability to justify timloino pricing, though i really want one :)

tigress_al

Good tip on the denture tabs for cleaning, I will have to try that!

Awesome – thanks Sil!

looseTman

Sil,

Growing up, the only tea I ever drank was bagged mint tea (especially peppermint), and mint still remains a staple flavour for me. Spearmint is my favourite. At this point in my ‘tea career’ I heavily lean towards flavoured blends; doesn’t matter if they’re fruity, chocolate, sweet, savory, etc. Blacks are my favourite as far as flavoured blends go, with whites a close second. I really enjoy everything but straight Greens though, but I’ll try anything once even if I am wary.

My favourite fruit flavours in blends are cranberry, banana, pear, lychee, melon, passion fruit and especially pineapple. I am also always excited to try anything with Saskatoon Berries, which are delicious and also my city’s namesake. I have a huge weakness towards toffee/caramel and coconut teas and a bit of a soft spot in regard to black licorice. I also adore anything creamy. I am always up for trying soda inspired blends as well because the concept fascinates me. I want to try all the Rootbeer teas! I am also currently trying to try as many Sweet Potato blends as possible.

Tastes I strongly dislike are ginger and raisins. Really, those are the only two things I intentionally avoid. I also have mixed feelings about peaches, mangoes, lemongrass, and chamomile.

In regard to straight teas, I haven’t been nearly as adventurous. I’ve yet to really explore any straight oolongs, except Milk Oolongs which weren’t really for me. In general, I really like straight black teas, especially when they have strong baked bread or malt notes. I like most straight whites, but I have a preference for silver needle teas over other types. Green teas, with the exception of Genmaicha and some Hojicha, make me feel a bit sick and I often can’t finish the cup. I can handle flavoured matcha like Red Leaf Tea sells – but straight matcha is a definite “no go”. I recently survived my first Pu’erh, and it was an alright, maybe borderline enjoyable, experience.

The ratio of cold brewed and hot tea I drink is about 50/50. As far as my cup sizes go, all my daily cold brews are done in a 25 oz. mason jar and my other mugs are 12 oz. with the exception of my Adeline infuser mug which is 16 oz. Unless otherwise specified, these are the cup sizes for all teas I review.

I prefer to drink my tea without adding anything to it, and 9/10 times that will be how I first try a blend. My belief is that milk, sugar or whatever else you add to your tea should be used to enhance an already good flavour: if the tea needs something added to it to taste good then it’s probably not good tea to begin with. The exception is Matcha; I always have my matcha whisked either into cold milk or club soda as “Matcha soda” depending on which way the flavour will be best suited. My roommate, Tre, has a very different philosophy in regard to tea, and that’s to always drown out his cup in sugar – even before tasting to see if it needs any. That’s why I don’t let him drink the good stuff ;)

The other important person in my life is my friend Robyn.

Some brief “IRL” interests: Clay/Sculpture (or visual arts in general), Improv, Mythology, Big Brother (USA and CA), and an absurdly large amount of TV shows – geeky or otherwise.

Saskatoon, SK, Canada