So, I’m just going to put this out there because I know this is an amazing community of people and I thought someone here might be able to help me out. For those who only care about the tea reviews, I’m sorry but I’m not really going to talk about this one at all so feel free to skip over my tasting note/review.

Groundhog’s Day is a really, really difficult time for me as well as the day after because it marks a pretty significant and difficult passing for me. It’s the anniversary of my cousin Luke’s death. However, I grew up with him my whole life and he was the closest family I’ve ever had – it would be more accurate, in my eyes, to call him a brother. It may be a horrible thing to say, but I was closer to him than my own brother.

The thing is, every time this day comes around I get really frustrated with the lack of closure I have and I always seem to “re-investigate” certain things. It’s very important to me that I find his obituary and the plot he was buried in, but I can never find this information because there was not much reported about his death (for reasons I’ll explain a little later) and he lived in London, Ontario at the time of his passing, which is not where I live so I can’t exactly go searching through archives and wasn’t really ‘around’ at the time it happened.

The reason there was hardly anything reported was because his death was a suicide and the typical news policy regarding suicides is to not report anything publicly for fear it will inspire others to commit suicide in the same means. Additionally, he was only 17 so his name wouldn’t have been released regardless since he was a minor.

I would ask his father (his mother is deceased) about these things, but that’s problematic in and of itself because after Luke’s passing he stopped what little communication he had with our family to begin with, and since we’ve not heard once from him personally. The last we heard was from a student doing research on Luke’s mother who had been contacted by my uncle. Luke’s mother, Cheryl Hohner, was murdered when Luke was very young and the case is a very famous one because at the time she was murdered she was pregnant so they sought to press charges for both her murder and the unborn child’s murder.

The student who contacted us told us that my Uncle, Len, was apparently in and out of mental hospitals (He’s schizophrenic) and was living on the streets. So ultimately, I can’t contact him for information.

It’s very important to me that I find his obituary, should he have one, and where he was buried so that some day I can visit his resting site. So I guess what I’m ultimately getting at/asking is if anyone from the Ontario area remembers hearing anything anything regarding his death or would maybe (and I know it’s asking a lot) would be able to search Ontario obituaries better than I can on the internet? I’ve scoured the internet for any kind of information, but ultimately can’t find anything.

This information may be helpful so I’m just going to leave it here:

- Luke Jeremy Hohner
- November 3rd 1992 to February 2nd 2010
- Father: Lenard Hohner
- Mother: Cheryl Hohner (Died Dec. 26th 1996)
- Born in London, Ont. and passed away in London, Ont.
- Killed by an oncoming train

Thank you to everyone who read that all the way through, and I realize it’s a lot to ask for help but it’s something I needed to post/share as I continue to search.

Nxtdoor

Omg. Heartbreaking.

AnnaEA

I know some genealogy research tricks, so I’ll poke around, see what I can turn up. I know how you feel. I’ve lost several family members to suicide.

__Morgana__

So sorry to hear about this. I hope you find the answers you’re looking for.

tigress_al

I am so sorry to hear your story, it is heartbreaking. I can’t help you but I hope someone else can and you can finally find closure for the death of your cousin.

VariaTEA

I am so sorry. This makes me wish I was in Toronto so I could help you.

Lala

Sorry to hear about your loss. My suggestion for finding out more info would be to find the funeral home that provided services for your cousin. They would have all the records for where his plot is, as well as any copies of obituary, eulogies, etc. You might just have to make a few phone calls based on how many businesses are in the area.
Another option would be to write your own obituary for him. It is never too late to publish something either online, in your local newspaper or in the newspaper of the city he was from.

Comments

Nxtdoor

Omg. Heartbreaking.

AnnaEA

__Morgana__

So sorry to hear about this. I hope you find the answers you’re looking for.

tigress_al

VariaTEA

I am so sorry. This makes me wish I was in Toronto so I could help you.

Lala

Growing up, the only tea I ever drank was bagged mint tea (especially peppermint), and mint still remains a staple flavour for me. Spearmint is my favourite. At this point in my ‘tea career’ I heavily lean towards flavoured blends; doesn’t matter if they’re fruity, chocolate, sweet, savory, etc. Blacks are my favourite as far as flavoured blends go, with whites a close second. I really enjoy everything but straight Greens though, but I’ll try anything once even if I am wary.

My favourite fruit flavours in blends are cranberry, banana, pear, lychee, melon, passion fruit and especially pineapple. I am also always excited to try anything with Saskatoon Berries, which are delicious and also my city’s namesake. I have a huge weakness towards toffee/caramel and coconut teas and a bit of a soft spot in regard to black licorice. I also adore anything creamy. I am always up for trying soda inspired blends as well because the concept fascinates me. I want to try all the Rootbeer teas! I am also currently trying to try as many Sweet Potato blends as possible.

Tastes I strongly dislike are ginger and raisins. Really, those are the only two things I intentionally avoid. I also have mixed feelings about peaches, mangoes, lemongrass, and chamomile.

In regard to straight teas, I haven’t been nearly as adventurous. I’ve yet to really explore any straight oolongs, except Milk Oolongs which weren’t really for me. In general, I really like straight black teas, especially when they have strong baked bread or malt notes. I like most straight whites, but I have a preference for silver needle teas over other types. Green teas, with the exception of Genmaicha and some Hojicha, make me feel a bit sick and I often can’t finish the cup. I can handle flavoured matcha like Red Leaf Tea sells – but straight matcha is a definite “no go”. I recently survived my first Pu’erh, and it was an alright, maybe borderline enjoyable, experience.

The ratio of cold brewed and hot tea I drink is about 50/50. As far as my cup sizes go, all my daily cold brews are done in a 25 oz. mason jar and my other mugs are 12 oz. with the exception of my Adeline infuser mug which is 16 oz. Unless otherwise specified, these are the cup sizes for all teas I review.

I prefer to drink my tea without adding anything to it, and 9/10 times that will be how I first try a blend. My belief is that milk, sugar or whatever else you add to your tea should be used to enhance an already good flavour: if the tea needs something added to it to taste good then it’s probably not good tea to begin with. The exception is Matcha; I always have my matcha whisked either into cold milk or club soda as “Matcha soda” depending on which way the flavour will be best suited. My roommate, Tre, has a very different philosophy in regard to tea, and that’s to always drown out his cup in sugar – even before tasting to see if it needs any. That’s why I don’t let him drink the good stuff ;)

The other important person in my life is my friend Robyn.

Some brief “IRL” interests: Clay/Sculpture (or visual arts in general), Improv, Mythology, Big Brother (USA and CA), and an absurdly large amount of TV shows – geeky or otherwise.

Saskatoon, SK, Canada