Sipdown (202/205)!

Thank you very much Lala for the sample of this! I was really disappointed when it wasn’t in stock during my trip to Cuppa’T, so it was amazing to receive a sample and get the opportunity to try it out despite that, since it was one of the few teas I was looking for ahead of time when I went.

I made this up at a cold brew in my mason jar, and that used up the whole sample. To be perfectly honest, I was a little worried it’s be underleafed for the full 25 oz. but when I strained it this morning after a full 12 hour steep, it looked and smelled pretty well steeped up.

Taste wise, this is amazing! It’s very flavourful without being too strong – in fact it kind of reminds me of the pink dragonfruit vitamin water that I used to sometimes get when I worked at the movie theatre. That was my favourite one that we sold, but it was also really expensive and honestly probably more sugar than vitamins. But anyway, what I’m getting at is that this is definitely very strongly dragonfruit flavoured which is great because I was worried that the cranberry would be too strong. I actually don’t know whether or not I’d realize there’s cranberry in this if it wasn’t in the name and I hadn’t seen the large cranberry pieces before making this up.

For anyone who hasn’t had dragonfruit before, you really really should! It’s like a kiwi in texture, but the taste kinda citrusy and kind like melon. It’s just a really characteristic flavour overall once you’ve tried a few dragonfruit flavoured things. They’re also good chocolate dipped or with a little lemon juice on them.

Ultimately, this is delicious and I’m very, very sad to see it go. I’m hoping I’ll be up in Regina sometime this summer and I’ll be able to pick some of this up. I’d easily and without hesitation buy 100g of it, perhaps more because I know it’s a fruit blend so it’ll be heavy.

Amazing! And again, a thousand thanks Lala

Lala

Glad you liked it. I hope Jule brings it back in stock for this summer. I have been rationing what I have left of this.

VariaTEA

The dragonfruit vitamin water was my favorite too!!

Comments

Lala

VariaTEA

The dragonfruit vitamin water was my favorite too!!

Growing up, the only tea I ever drank was bagged mint tea (especially peppermint), and mint still remains a staple flavour for me. Spearmint is my favourite. At this point in my ‘tea career’ I heavily lean towards flavoured blends; doesn’t matter if they’re fruity, chocolate, sweet, savory, etc. Blacks are my favourite as far as flavoured blends go, with whites a close second. I really enjoy everything but straight Greens though, but I’ll try anything once even if I am wary.

My favourite fruit flavours in blends are cranberry, banana, pear, lychee, melon, passion fruit and especially pineapple. I am also always excited to try anything with Saskatoon Berries, which are delicious and also my city’s namesake. I have a huge weakness towards toffee/caramel and coconut teas and a bit of a soft spot in regard to black licorice. I also adore anything creamy. I am always up for trying soda inspired blends as well because the concept fascinates me. I want to try all the Rootbeer teas! I am also currently trying to try as many Sweet Potato blends as possible.

Tastes I strongly dislike are ginger and raisins. Really, those are the only two things I intentionally avoid. I also have mixed feelings about peaches, mangoes, lemongrass, and chamomile.

In regard to straight teas, I haven’t been nearly as adventurous. I’ve yet to really explore any straight oolongs, except Milk Oolongs which weren’t really for me. In general, I really like straight black teas, especially when they have strong baked bread or malt notes. I like most straight whites, but I have a preference for silver needle teas over other types. Green teas, with the exception of Genmaicha and some Hojicha, make me feel a bit sick and I often can’t finish the cup. I can handle flavoured matcha like Red Leaf Tea sells – but straight matcha is a definite “no go”. I recently survived my first Pu’erh, and it was an alright, maybe borderline enjoyable, experience.

The ratio of cold brewed and hot tea I drink is about 50/50. As far as my cup sizes go, all my daily cold brews are done in a 25 oz. mason jar and my other mugs are 12 oz. with the exception of my Adeline infuser mug which is 16 oz. Unless otherwise specified, these are the cup sizes for all teas I review.

I prefer to drink my tea without adding anything to it, and 9/10 times that will be how I first try a blend. My belief is that milk, sugar or whatever else you add to your tea should be used to enhance an already good flavour: if the tea needs something added to it to taste good then it’s probably not good tea to begin with. The exception is Matcha; I always have my matcha whisked either into cold milk or club soda as “Matcha soda” depending on which way the flavour will be best suited. My roommate, Tre, has a very different philosophy in regard to tea, and that’s to always drown out his cup in sugar – even before tasting to see if it needs any. That’s why I don’t let him drink the good stuff ;)

The other important person in my life is my friend Robyn.

Some brief “IRL” interests: Clay/Sculpture (or visual arts in general), Improv, Mythology, Big Brother (USA and CA), and an absurdly large amount of TV shows – geeky or otherwise.

Saskatoon, SK, Canada