Sipdown (211/214)!

Time for the daily backlog of teas now that Tre’s gone to bed and left me with his computer. Not much eventful today, no new listing for me to apply for which was sad though I did fill out a survey for the local University for an ongoing research study on the “transition to adulthood” so that was something.

Also, grocery shopping (which was painful financially but necessary) and I briefly had a friend over but she was ill and left a little early. So, I’m gonna call in a semi-successful day. At least I did something.

This blend was good. It steeped up nicely today, and had a happy departure from my cupboard. It was odd though, I really tasted the orange in this cup and the caramel/hazelnut was doing this odd thing where it sort of tasted like licorice? If I didn’t have the blend’s description and my first cup to go on I don’t think I’d have had any idea this was an Earl.

EDIT: Also, I guess this was tasting note 650. And also, I should really thank the lovely MissB for the sample.

Still yummy, though.

Flavors: Caramel, Licorice, Orange Zest

VariaTEA

Congrats on 650!! Also, I started this morning at 190 and now have 177 teas. I said I could not buy “The Woman” until I at least hit 175 so I am so close. However, now I am debating a DAVIDs order. I think I have a problem.

VariaTEA

In other news, I am now on episode 12 of the first season of Bones. Not much work was done today but it was nice and relaxing so w.e.

OMGsrsly

Yay 650! :)

Roswell Strange

Are you loving it?! I should really go back and watch from the start – I miss some of the characters that are in the earlier seasons. Isn’t Zack super awesome! Also Hodgins. Much love for Hodgins and Zack – the Kings of the lab. You now have significantly less blends than I do – and probably less grams worth too :P We both have a problem. Actually, many of us on Steepster possess this problem – and we’re all bad for feeding it.

VariaTEA

Haha. I made a cart on DAVIDs. It included 50 g of The Glow, Strawberry Rhubarb Parfait, and Cranberry Pear; a mason jar; the 12 oz green sweater perfect mug; and 100 filters. Then I got stressed and closed the page. I think the mason jar would be pretty great for getting through teas though given it is basically 3 servings at a time.

Roswell Strange

It is definitely great for getting through teas :) I’m actually a little worried I might be going through my herbals/fruit teas too quickly.

VariaTEA

I am quickly running out of my caffeine free options which is part of the reason I want to place the DAVIDs order. I am also waiting for Stacy to get Nutmeg Cream and Eggnog & Pralines in stock so I can place a Butiki order and grab some more Peppermint Patty, Root Beer Float, and hopefully Birthday Cake.

Comments

VariaTEA

OMGsrsly

Yay 650! :)

VariaTEA

Growing up, the only tea I ever drank was bagged mint tea (especially peppermint), and mint still remains a staple flavour for me. Spearmint is my favourite. At this point in my ‘tea career’ I heavily lean towards flavoured blends; doesn’t matter if they’re fruity, chocolate, sweet, savory, etc. Blacks are my favourite as far as flavoured blends go, with whites a close second. I really enjoy everything but straight Greens though, but I’ll try anything once even if I am wary.

My favourite fruit flavours in blends are cranberry, banana, pear, lychee, melon, passion fruit and especially pineapple. I am also always excited to try anything with Saskatoon Berries, which are delicious and also my city’s namesake. I have a huge weakness towards toffee/caramel and coconut teas and a bit of a soft spot in regard to black licorice. I also adore anything creamy. I am always up for trying soda inspired blends as well because the concept fascinates me. I want to try all the Rootbeer teas! I am also currently trying to try as many Sweet Potato blends as possible.

Tastes I strongly dislike are ginger and raisins. Really, those are the only two things I intentionally avoid. I also have mixed feelings about peaches, mangoes, lemongrass, and chamomile.

In regard to straight teas, I haven’t been nearly as adventurous. I’ve yet to really explore any straight oolongs, except Milk Oolongs which weren’t really for me. In general, I really like straight black teas, especially when they have strong baked bread or malt notes. I like most straight whites, but I have a preference for silver needle teas over other types. Green teas, with the exception of Genmaicha and some Hojicha, make me feel a bit sick and I often can’t finish the cup. I can handle flavoured matcha like Red Leaf Tea sells – but straight matcha is a definite “no go”. I recently survived my first Pu’erh, and it was an alright, maybe borderline enjoyable, experience.

The ratio of cold brewed and hot tea I drink is about 50/50. As far as my cup sizes go, all my daily cold brews are done in a 25 oz. mason jar and my other mugs are 12 oz. with the exception of my Adeline infuser mug which is 16 oz. Unless otherwise specified, these are the cup sizes for all teas I review.

I prefer to drink my tea without adding anything to it, and 9/10 times that will be how I first try a blend. My belief is that milk, sugar or whatever else you add to your tea should be used to enhance an already good flavour: if the tea needs something added to it to taste good then it’s probably not good tea to begin with. The exception is Matcha; I always have my matcha whisked either into cold milk or club soda as “Matcha soda” depending on which way the flavour will be best suited. My roommate, Tre, has a very different philosophy in regard to tea, and that’s to always drown out his cup in sugar – even before tasting to see if it needs any. That’s why I don’t let him drink the good stuff ;)

The other important person in my life is my friend Robyn.

Some brief “IRL” interests: Clay/Sculpture (or visual arts in general), Improv, Mythology, Big Brother (USA and CA), and an absurdly large amount of TV shows – geeky or otherwise.

Saskatoon, SK, Canada