Sipdown (198/202)!

Thanks Kittenna for the sample. Sadly, I’m using it all up for this mug – I would have liked to play around a little with the whole ‘sugar and salt bringing out different flavours’ thing. It seems weird to me to add salt to tea; I mean, I don’t add salt to anything, and I never sweeten my tea either so I just made this cup plain.

This is one of those teas that you just have to try because of the concept. It’s pretty weird, at least in my opinion (though nothing like Bacon tea). It definitely solicited an interesting response from my friend who was over the other day when I said “Potato Pancake” tea.

So steeped up (with nothing added) I think this tastes pretty amazing! I’ve actually had apple sauce and potato pancakes before, though only once, made by my Grandma. We don’t celebrate Hanukkah or anything, but she made them for us anyway. It was a while ago – when I was in elementary school, but I remember shredding apples for her with a cheese grater, and loving them because they were sweet enough I didn’t have to add syrup or anything to them. I feel the same way about this blend; it perfectly captures what it claims to, and I think it’s really well balanced and doesn’t really need to be swayed more to one side.

Although it’d still be interesting to try it with salt added because that’s still a weird concept to me.

I’m also happy because, to me, it doesn’t taste green. Yay!

I’m going to add this to my shopping list as well, for when I finally finish off some of the Butiki teas I have that I don’t plan on keeping around (also for when I have money). Maybe I wouldn’t want a full pouch of it, but as a sample or something to drink very occasionally or as a treat – because this was good!

Flavors: Potato

Courtney

Adding salt?! Bizarre. I also never add things to my tea. :)

Courtney

Well, never sweeten, or add milk/cream.

Roswell Strange

I add milk, but not often – and typically never as a first cup (unless it’s matcha). I also sometimes add club soda – but again, not for a first cup.

Courtney

Club soda is an interesting addition. What teas do you add that to?

VariaTEA

Roswell Strange, have you ever had a Monk’s Blend tea soda?!? I think that would be tasty. Also, apparently I have Monk’s Blend on the brain :P

Roswell Strange

Lately, I add it to matcha for matcha soda – but also fruit blends. I haven’t tried a Monk’s Blend soda yet, though.

Kittenna

Nuts! i’m sorry; I should have given you more, because I’m not a big fan, and I had more. I usually give enough for two normal-sized cups.

Courtney

Neat! I’ll have to remember that. I’m always looking for ways to mix it up with matcha.

OMGsrsly

It is so neat if you add a tiny pinch of salt, or a somewhat larger pinch of sugar. It changes the tea so much. :)

Roswell Strange

@Kittenna No worries! 1 cup was more than enough (I got a good resteep too) – especially if I hadn’t liked it. I’m super skeptical of greens.

boychik

Adding salt is a good idea. When I added some maple syrup it didn’t do it for me. Maybe I’ll like it savory. Maybe I can send it your way. Let me know

i send you pm

Sami Kelsh

I’ll add a pinch of salt to a hot chocolate, so this isn’t a totally crazy concept to me. (Though the idea of a latkes and applesauce tea is a bit; I’m very intrigued, and also I really wish I had some potatoes in the house to make actual latkes now!)

Comments

Courtney

Adding salt?! Bizarre. I also never add things to my tea. :)

Courtney

Well, never sweeten, or add milk/cream.

Courtney

Club soda is an interesting addition. What teas do you add that to?

VariaTEA

Kittenna

OMGsrsly

i send you pm

Sami Kelsh

Hello;

Least favourite flavours/ingredients:
Lemongrass, ginger/“Chai” in general, raisins, overly vegetal, chamomile

Saskatoon, SK, Canada