Sipdown (198/202)!

Thanks Kittenna for the sample. Sadly, I’m using it all up for this mug – I would have liked to play around a little with the whole ‘sugar and salt bringing out different flavours’ thing. It seems weird to me to add salt to tea; I mean, I don’t add salt to anything, and I never sweeten my tea either so I just made this cup plain.

This is one of those teas that you just have to try because of the concept. It’s pretty weird, at least in my opinion (though nothing like Bacon tea). It definitely solicited an interesting response from my friend who was over the other day when I said “Potato Pancake” tea.

So steeped up (with nothing added) I think this tastes pretty amazing! I’ve actually had apple sauce and potato pancakes before, though only once, made by my Grandma. We don’t celebrate Hanukkah or anything, but she made them for us anyway. It was a while ago – when I was in elementary school, but I remember shredding apples for her with a cheese grater, and loving them because they were sweet enough I didn’t have to add syrup or anything to them. I feel the same way about this blend; it perfectly captures what it claims to, and I think it’s really well balanced and doesn’t really need to be swayed more to one side.

Although it’d still be interesting to try it with salt added because that’s still a weird concept to me.

I’m also happy because, to me, it doesn’t taste green. Yay!

I’m going to add this to my shopping list as well, for when I finally finish off some of the Butiki teas I have that I don’t plan on keeping around (also for when I have money). Maybe I wouldn’t want a full pouch of it, but as a sample or something to drink very occasionally or as a treat – because this was good!

Flavors: Potato

Courtney

Adding salt?! Bizarre. I also never add things to my tea. :)

Courtney

Well, never sweeten, or add milk/cream.

Roswell Strange

I add milk, but not often – and typically never as a first cup (unless it’s matcha). I also sometimes add club soda – but again, not for a first cup.

Courtney

Club soda is an interesting addition. What teas do you add that to?

VariaTEA

Roswell Strange, have you ever had a Monk’s Blend tea soda?!? I think that would be tasty. Also, apparently I have Monk’s Blend on the brain :P

Roswell Strange

Lately, I add it to matcha for matcha soda – but also fruit blends. I haven’t tried a Monk’s Blend soda yet, though.

Kittenna

Nuts! i’m sorry; I should have given you more, because I’m not a big fan, and I had more. I usually give enough for two normal-sized cups.

Courtney

Neat! I’ll have to remember that. I’m always looking for ways to mix it up with matcha.

OMGsrsly

It is so neat if you add a tiny pinch of salt, or a somewhat larger pinch of sugar. It changes the tea so much. :)

Roswell Strange

@Kittenna No worries! 1 cup was more than enough (I got a good resteep too) – especially if I hadn’t liked it. I’m super skeptical of greens.

boychik

Adding salt is a good idea. When I added some maple syrup it didn’t do it for me. Maybe I’ll like it savory. Maybe I can send it your way. Let me know

i send you pm

Sami Kelsh

I’ll add a pinch of salt to a hot chocolate, so this isn’t a totally crazy concept to me. (Though the idea of a latkes and applesauce tea is a bit; I’m very intrigued, and also I really wish I had some potatoes in the house to make actual latkes now!)

Comments

Courtney

Adding salt?! Bizarre. I also never add things to my tea. :)

Courtney

Well, never sweeten, or add milk/cream.

Courtney

Club soda is an interesting addition. What teas do you add that to?

VariaTEA

Kittenna

OMGsrsly

i send you pm

Sami Kelsh

Growing up, the only tea I ever drank was bagged mint tea (especially peppermint), and mint still remains a staple flavour for me. Spearmint is my favourite. At this point in my ‘tea career’ I heavily lean towards flavoured blends; doesn’t matter if they’re fruity, chocolate, sweet, savory, etc. Blacks are my favourite as far as flavoured blends go, with whites a close second. I really enjoy everything but straight Greens though, but I’ll try anything once even if I am wary.

My favourite fruit flavours in blends are cranberry, banana, pear, lychee, melon, passion fruit and especially pineapple. I am also always excited to try anything with Saskatoon Berries, which are delicious and also my city’s namesake. I have a huge weakness towards toffee/caramel and coconut teas and a bit of a soft spot in regard to black licorice. I also adore anything creamy. I am always up for trying soda inspired blends as well because the concept fascinates me. I want to try all the Rootbeer teas! I am also currently trying to try as many Sweet Potato blends as possible.

Tastes I strongly dislike are ginger and raisins. Really, those are the only two things I intentionally avoid. I also have mixed feelings about peaches, mangoes, lemongrass, and chamomile.

In regard to straight teas, I haven’t been nearly as adventurous. I’ve yet to really explore any straight oolongs, except Milk Oolongs which weren’t really for me. In general, I really like straight black teas, especially when they have strong baked bread or malt notes. I like most straight whites, but I have a preference for silver needle teas over other types. Green teas, with the exception of Genmaicha and some Hojicha, make me feel a bit sick and I often can’t finish the cup. I can handle flavoured matcha like Red Leaf Tea sells – but straight matcha is a definite “no go”. I recently survived my first Pu’erh, and it was an alright, maybe borderline enjoyable, experience.

The ratio of cold brewed and hot tea I drink is about 50/50. As far as my cup sizes go, all my daily cold brews are done in a 25 oz. mason jar and my other mugs are 12 oz. with the exception of my Adeline infuser mug which is 16 oz. Unless otherwise specified, these are the cup sizes for all teas I review.

I prefer to drink my tea without adding anything to it, and 9/10 times that will be how I first try a blend. My belief is that milk, sugar or whatever else you add to your tea should be used to enhance an already good flavour: if the tea needs something added to it to taste good then it’s probably not good tea to begin with. The exception is Matcha; I always have my matcha whisked either into cold milk or club soda as “Matcha soda” depending on which way the flavour will be best suited. My roommate, Tre, has a very different philosophy in regard to tea, and that’s to always drown out his cup in sugar – even before tasting to see if it needs any. That’s why I don’t let him drink the good stuff ;)

The other important person in my life is my friend Robyn.

Some brief “IRL” interests: Clay/Sculpture (or visual arts in general), Improv, Mythology, Big Brother (USA and CA), and an absurdly large amount of TV shows – geeky or otherwise.

Saskatoon, SK, Canada