drank Creme Brulee by DAVIDsTEA
1945 tasting notes

Thanks VariaTEA for the sample of this. Back when I first got into loose leaf I almost bought a lot of this one, but I opted for Salted Caramel instead because I was really feeling black tea at the time, and the strainer I had wasn’t super fine mesh so rooibos was tricky for me to brew.

I thought that I’d only have one cup worth, but there was actually two worth so the next one will be a sipdown. That’s awesome, because despite the lower rating on this one, I actually found it super enjoyable and tasty.

I should point out I haven’t had Creme Brulee in years, and when I had it (my only encounter) I thought it was really gross and burnt tasting, so I likely don’t have the most accurate point of reference. However, dry and steeped I thought this smelled incredibly sweet, and rich, and creamy with a strong caramel flavour and I was certain I’d love it. And, I was right!

I think this was consumed in under two minutes. I just couldn’t put the mug down because it was delicious and so rich and flavourful and definitely caramel. I definitely think it tasted better than Salted Caramel, and compared to Birthday Cake or Oh Canada! which are both richer, sweet vanilla/caramel/maple rooibos blends, I think this one comes out on top. Which is maybe a shame because I have so much of the other two, but only one more cup of this one.

We’ll see if my second cup confirms my feelings about this blend, but I think it’s something I’d want to restock (sooner rather than later, but ultimately I’d want to use up all my Birthday Cake or Oh Canada! first).

VariaTEA

Glad you enjoyed this.

Comments

VariaTEA

Glad you enjoyed this.

Growing up, the only tea I ever drank was bagged mint tea (especially peppermint), and mint still remains a staple flavour for me. Spearmint is my favourite. At this point in my ‘tea career’ I heavily lean towards flavoured blends; doesn’t matter if they’re fruity, chocolate, sweet, savory, etc. Blacks are my favourite as far as flavoured blends go, with whites a close second. I really enjoy everything but straight Greens though, but I’ll try anything once even if I am wary.

My favourite fruit flavours in blends are cranberry, banana, pear, lychee, melon, passion fruit and especially pineapple. I am also always excited to try anything with Saskatoon Berries, which are delicious and also my city’s namesake. I have a huge weakness towards toffee/caramel and coconut teas and a bit of a soft spot in regard to black licorice. I also adore anything creamy. I am always up for trying soda inspired blends as well because the concept fascinates me. I want to try all the Rootbeer teas! I am also currently trying to try as many Sweet Potato blends as possible.

Tastes I strongly dislike are ginger and raisins. Really, those are the only two things I intentionally avoid. I also have mixed feelings about peaches, mangoes, lemongrass, and chamomile.

In regard to straight teas, I haven’t been nearly as adventurous. I’ve yet to really explore any straight oolongs, except Milk Oolongs which weren’t really for me. In general, I really like straight black teas, especially when they have strong baked bread or malt notes. I like most straight whites, but I have a preference for silver needle teas over other types. Green teas, with the exception of Genmaicha and some Hojicha, make me feel a bit sick and I often can’t finish the cup. I can handle flavoured matcha like Red Leaf Tea sells – but straight matcha is a definite “no go”. I recently survived my first Pu’erh, and it was an alright, maybe borderline enjoyable, experience.

The ratio of cold brewed and hot tea I drink is about 50/50. As far as my cup sizes go, all my daily cold brews are done in a 25 oz. mason jar and my other mugs are 12 oz. with the exception of my Adeline infuser mug which is 16 oz. Unless otherwise specified, these are the cup sizes for all teas I review.

I prefer to drink my tea without adding anything to it, and 9/10 times that will be how I first try a blend. My belief is that milk, sugar or whatever else you add to your tea should be used to enhance an already good flavour: if the tea needs something added to it to taste good then it’s probably not good tea to begin with. The exception is Matcha; I always have my matcha whisked either into cold milk or club soda as “Matcha soda” depending on which way the flavour will be best suited. My roommate, Tre, has a very different philosophy in regard to tea, and that’s to always drown out his cup in sugar – even before tasting to see if it needs any. That’s why I don’t let him drink the good stuff ;)

The other important person in my life is my friend Robyn.

Some brief “IRL” interests: Clay/Sculpture (or visual arts in general), Improv, Mythology, Big Brother (USA and CA), and an absurdly large amount of TV shows – geeky or otherwise.

Saskatoon, SK, Canada