Sad, tragic sipdown (199/201)…

Well, I guess I’m happy this is the tea that puts me under 200 again, but I’m heartbroken because my love affair with this blend has reached a horrible end for all parties; kind of like the conclusion of The Great Gatbsy (I just finished rereading the book, so I have Gatsby Brain right now). My wife Tropicalia caught me cheating with Pink Passion fruit and had the tisane brutally ended in a pool of hot, boiling water…

Oh, and I guess sorry for any Gatsby spoilers, there…

Anyway, thanks Aimee Popovacki for introducing me with this one. It’s been on my shopping list since trying it, so I’ll be sure to keep a good eye out.

VariaTEA

I don’t think you can worry about spoilers on a book that has been around since 1925 :P.

OMGsrsly

What VariaTEA said! :D Although I avoided the book in high school. And the movie. I’m not sure how I managed that.

Roswell Strange

It was required reading for my advanced English course in Grade 12, and I just absolutely loved it. I adored the movie too, despite it not getting great reviews (I own it, actually; like I actually payed for it because I liked it that much) – I thought the casting was perfect and they captured the setting and all the very detailed and complex symbolism perfectly (also, they didn’t cut any important plot at all).

OMGsrsly

I, umm, can’t stand Robert Redford OR Mia Farrow. Made it maybe 10 minutes in. The newer films might be better, but that’s what I had to work with!

aisling of tea

So I have a fair bit of this left, and I’ve kind of fallen out of love with it, I much prefer Pink Dragonfruit from Tealish. Do you want the rest of mine?

Roswell Strange

Oh sweet merciful Zeus, yes! Except, I can’t return the favour right now unfortunately – and wouldn’t want to be a trouble or cause you unnecessary shipping costs.

aisling of tea

Oh please, I have 400+ teas in my cupboard, do you think I really need more samples? XD Have a stroll through my cupboard, pick out some more to try, if you like. Hate to only send one tea!

Comments

VariaTEA

aisling of tea

Growing up, the only tea I ever drank was bagged mint tea (especially peppermint), and mint still remains a staple flavour for me. Spearmint is my favourite. At this point in my ‘tea career’ I heavily lean towards flavoured blends; doesn’t matter if they’re fruity, chocolate, sweet, savory, etc. Blacks are my favourite as far as flavoured blends go, with whites a close second. I really enjoy everything but straight Greens though, but I’ll try anything once even if I am wary.

My favourite fruit flavours in blends are cranberry, banana, pear, lychee, melon, passion fruit and especially pineapple. I am also always excited to try anything with Saskatoon Berries, which are delicious and also my city’s namesake. I have a huge weakness towards toffee/caramel and coconut teas and a bit of a soft spot in regard to black licorice. I also adore anything creamy. I am always up for trying soda inspired blends as well because the concept fascinates me. I want to try all the Rootbeer teas! I am also currently trying to try as many Sweet Potato blends as possible.

Tastes I strongly dislike are ginger and raisins. Really, those are the only two things I intentionally avoid. I also have mixed feelings about peaches, mangoes, lemongrass, and chamomile.

In regard to straight teas, I haven’t been nearly as adventurous. I’ve yet to really explore any straight oolongs, except Milk Oolongs which weren’t really for me. In general, I really like straight black teas, especially when they have strong baked bread or malt notes. I like most straight whites, but I have a preference for silver needle teas over other types. Green teas, with the exception of Genmaicha and some Hojicha, make me feel a bit sick and I often can’t finish the cup. I can handle flavoured matcha like Red Leaf Tea sells – but straight matcha is a definite “no go”. I recently survived my first Pu’erh, and it was an alright, maybe borderline enjoyable, experience.

The ratio of cold brewed and hot tea I drink is about 50/50. As far as my cup sizes go, all my daily cold brews are done in a 25 oz. mason jar and my other mugs are 12 oz. with the exception of my Adeline infuser mug which is 16 oz. Unless otherwise specified, these are the cup sizes for all teas I review.

I prefer to drink my tea without adding anything to it, and 9/10 times that will be how I first try a blend. My belief is that milk, sugar or whatever else you add to your tea should be used to enhance an already good flavour: if the tea needs something added to it to taste good then it’s probably not good tea to begin with. The exception is Matcha; I always have my matcha whisked either into cold milk or club soda as “Matcha soda” depending on which way the flavour will be best suited. My roommate, Tre, has a very different philosophy in regard to tea, and that’s to always drown out his cup in sugar – even before tasting to see if it needs any. That’s why I don’t let him drink the good stuff ;)

The other important person in my life is my friend Robyn.

Some brief “IRL” interests: Clay/Sculpture (or visual arts in general), Improv, Mythology, Big Brother (USA and CA), and an absurdly large amount of TV shows – geeky or otherwise.

Saskatoon, SK, Canada