Backlog from yesterday.

VariaTEA sent me this sample – and I was really excited about it because I recently discovered/learned that I really enjoy Creme Brulee and Creme Brulee flavoured things. I whisked some of this up in cold milk (using up the last of our milk), and got ready for a yummy treat.

I was a little disappointed though – it was basically just sweetened/slightly creamier milk. Nothing abundantly “Creme Brulee”. Once I’ve bought more milk, I’ll have to try it again – just to see if I can make it more flavourful by using more matcha.

I’ve been eating lots of popcorn recently; and I’m wondering if matcha would make an interesting popcorn seasoning. Has anyone tried that? I imagine Caramel matcha (or Caramel Popcorn Matcha) would work well enough…

Thanks VariaTEA!

Stephanie

whoa, caffeinated popcorn! heh. It sounds interesting but when using popcorn seasoning I always find a lot of waste at the bottom of the bowl, and I’d hate to waste precious matcha!

VariaTEA

I am sorry it was disappointing. I was let down too. I think it might benefit from a higher flavoring level as it is only delicate but I doubt I would order it again.

Roswell Strange

I don’t know how this’d work with Matcha – but I also dissolve my popcorn shakers into about a tablespoon or so of butter and then sprinkle that on. No waste – that way. I’m really hard core about my popcorn though; a year or working at a movie theatre but made me totally sick of movie theatre popcorn but also ingrained the habit of having it into me – so I compromise and air pop my own ;)

Lala

I am pretty sure it was Angel from teavivre who posted she uses matcha on popcorn.

Stephanie

OH dissolve it in the butter first? I feel like a moron now…BRILLIANT!

Comments

Stephanie

VariaTEA

Roswell Strange

Lala

Stephanie

OH dissolve it in the butter first? I feel like a moron now…BRILLIANT!

Growing up, the only tea I ever drank was bagged mint tea (especially peppermint), and mint still remains a staple flavour for me. Spearmint is my favourite. At this point in my ‘tea career’ I heavily lean towards flavoured blends; doesn’t matter if they’re fruity, chocolate, sweet, savory, etc. Blacks are my favourite as far as flavoured blends go, with whites a close second. I really enjoy everything but straight Greens though, but I’ll try anything once even if I am wary.

My favourite fruit flavours in blends are cranberry, banana, pear, lychee, melon, passion fruit and especially pineapple. I am also always excited to try anything with Saskatoon Berries, which are delicious and also my city’s namesake. I have a huge weakness towards toffee/caramel and coconut teas and a bit of a soft spot in regard to black licorice. I also adore anything creamy. I am always up for trying soda inspired blends as well because the concept fascinates me. I want to try all the Rootbeer teas! I am also currently trying to try as many Sweet Potato blends as possible.

Tastes I strongly dislike are ginger and raisins. Really, those are the only two things I intentionally avoid. I also have mixed feelings about peaches, mangoes, lemongrass, and chamomile.

In regard to straight teas, I haven’t been nearly as adventurous. I’ve yet to really explore any straight oolongs, except Milk Oolongs which weren’t really for me. In general, I really like straight black teas, especially when they have strong baked bread or malt notes. I like most straight whites, but I have a preference for silver needle teas over other types. Green teas, with the exception of Genmaicha and some Hojicha, make me feel a bit sick and I often can’t finish the cup. I can handle flavoured matcha like Red Leaf Tea sells – but straight matcha is a definite “no go”. I recently survived my first Pu’erh, and it was an alright, maybe borderline enjoyable, experience.

The ratio of cold brewed and hot tea I drink is about 50/50. As far as my cup sizes go, all my daily cold brews are done in a 25 oz. mason jar and my other mugs are 12 oz. with the exception of my Adeline infuser mug which is 16 oz. Unless otherwise specified, these are the cup sizes for all teas I review.

I prefer to drink my tea without adding anything to it, and 9/10 times that will be how I first try a blend. My belief is that milk, sugar or whatever else you add to your tea should be used to enhance an already good flavour: if the tea needs something added to it to taste good then it’s probably not good tea to begin with. The exception is Matcha; I always have my matcha whisked either into cold milk or club soda as “Matcha soda” depending on which way the flavour will be best suited. My roommate, Tre, has a very different philosophy in regard to tea, and that’s to always drown out his cup in sugar – even before tasting to see if it needs any. That’s why I don’t let him drink the good stuff ;)

The other important person in my life is my friend Robyn.

Some brief “IRL” interests: Clay/Sculpture (or visual arts in general), Improv, Mythology, Big Brother (USA and CA), and an absurdly large amount of TV shows – geeky or otherwise.

Saskatoon, SK, Canada