Oh, I lost my tasting note on this! Steepster ate it on me…

Anyway, I broke this one out because the amount of Chai samples in my possession is only growing, so I figured I needed to step my shit up and actually finish (or at the very least, try) some of them. This one comes from VariaTEA and appears to be gingerless, so it was the top choice for the moment.

I have to confess; I originally thought this was called “Transylvanian Chai” and I kept getting the image of Dracula either taking a sip and his fangs being really sensitive to the heat of the liquor or him saying something like “It’s Spiiicccyyy” in his thick, sexy accent. I’m a little disappointed that that’s not actually the name…

Steeped up what I’m finding is that this isn’t as scary intense/spicy as I had assumed/feared it would be. The cloves and cinnamon are pretty strong and there’s some sort of thick creaminess/sweetness that I would maybe label as more like vanilla, but I’m assuming is the chocolate in this. The absence of ginger really helps a lot with putting this more forward in my books.

So conclusion drawn based on that? I’m pleasantly taken aback and will really enjoy finishing this off, but wont seek it out once it’s gone because I have other sweeter/fruit based (my preference) Chai blends in quantity that are more important I finish off first before getting more.

But yes; this is good and not as scary as I thought it’d be!

VariaTEA

hahaha I am also a bit disappointed it is not called Transylvanian Chai now :P

Veronica

Ha! What a great name for a tea!

Lynxiebrat

That would be a great name for a Halloweened themed Chai. Hmm, something to to represent blood though…

Comments

VariaTEA

hahaha I am also a bit disappointed it is not called Transylvanian Chai now :P

Veronica

Ha! What a great name for a tea!

Lynxiebrat

Hello;

My name is Kelly. I’m a twenty something tea drinker and reviewer living in Saskatchewan, Canada. I started drinking loose leaf fairly casually three(ish) years ago, and at some point between then and now that ‘fun little hobby’ turned into a serious obsession.

You know you’ve got it bad when you get your hobby tattooed to your arm.

I’m a TAC trained Tea Sommelier!

My Goal for The New Year (2017) is to make time for at least one long, proper Gong Fu session every week because it’s something I deeply enjoy doing but struggle to make time for…

My default for preparation is Western Style with zero additive. The exception to this is matcha which I drink in straight milk with no additives. So unless I mention otherwise you can assume that I’ve prepared my tea Western style without added ingredients/sweeteners.

Least favourite flavours/ingredients:
Lemongrass, ginger/“Chai” in general, overly vegetal or marine, chamomile, sometimes mango or peach

Currently exploring/looking to try: Straight Pu’Erh or Dark/Roasted Oolong, Sweet Potato flavoured blends or straight teas with strong sweet potato notes, and anything with Goji berries

Tea Pet Reference Guide:

Clay Pixiu Dragons: Zak & Wheezie
Clay Monkey: Enzo
Ruyao Carp: Splashy
Ceramic Rabbit: Rupert
Ceramic Horse: Bergamot

If you see me writing about sharing tea with any of them that’s what I’m talking about ;)

I also have two real life pets:

The URL to my tumblr blog is: guyfierithirdandfinalantichrist

Regina, SK, Canada