Oh, I lost my tasting note on this! Steepster ate it on me…

Anyway, I broke this one out because the amount of Chai samples in my possession is only growing, so I figured I needed to step my shit up and actually finish (or at the very least, try) some of them. This one comes from VariaTEA and appears to be gingerless, so it was the top choice for the moment.

I have to confess; I originally thought this was called “Transylvanian Chai” and I kept getting the image of Dracula either taking a sip and his fangs being really sensitive to the heat of the liquor or him saying something like “It’s Spiiicccyyy” in his thick, sexy accent. I’m a little disappointed that that’s not actually the name…

Steeped up what I’m finding is that this isn’t as scary intense/spicy as I had assumed/feared it would be. The cloves and cinnamon are pretty strong and there’s some sort of thick creaminess/sweetness that I would maybe label as more like vanilla, but I’m assuming is the chocolate in this. The absence of ginger really helps a lot with putting this more forward in my books.

So conclusion drawn based on that? I’m pleasantly taken aback and will really enjoy finishing this off, but wont seek it out once it’s gone because I have other sweeter/fruit based (my preference) Chai blends in quantity that are more important I finish off first before getting more.

But yes; this is good and not as scary as I thought it’d be!

VariaTEA

hahaha I am also a bit disappointed it is not called Transylvanian Chai now :P

Veronica

Ha! What a great name for a tea!

Lynxiebrat

That would be a great name for a Halloweened themed Chai. Hmm, something to to represent blood though…

Comments

VariaTEA

hahaha I am also a bit disappointed it is not called Transylvanian Chai now :P

Veronica

Ha! What a great name for a tea!

Lynxiebrat

Growing up, the only tea I ever drank was bagged mint tea (especially peppermint), and mint still remains a staple flavour for me. Spearmint is my favourite. At this point in my ‘tea career’ I heavily lean towards flavoured blends; doesn’t matter if they’re fruity, chocolate, sweet, savory, etc. Blacks are my favourite as far as flavoured blends go, with whites a close second. I really enjoy everything but straight Greens though, but I’ll try anything once even if I am wary.

My favourite fruit flavours in blends are cranberry, banana, pear, lychee, melon, passion fruit and especially pineapple. I am also always excited to try anything with Saskatoon Berries, which are delicious and also my city’s namesake. I have a huge weakness towards toffee/caramel and coconut teas and a bit of a soft spot in regard to black licorice. I also adore anything creamy. I am always up for trying soda inspired blends as well because the concept fascinates me. I want to try all the Rootbeer teas! I am also currently trying to try as many Sweet Potato blends as possible.

Tastes I strongly dislike are ginger and raisins. Really, those are the only two things I intentionally avoid. I also have mixed feelings about peaches, mangoes, lemongrass, and chamomile.

In regard to straight teas, I haven’t been nearly as adventurous. I’ve yet to really explore any straight oolongs, except Milk Oolongs which weren’t really for me. In general, I really like straight black teas, especially when they have strong baked bread or malt notes. I like most straight whites, but I have a preference for silver needle teas over other types. Green teas, with the exception of Genmaicha and some Hojicha, make me feel a bit sick and I often can’t finish the cup. I can handle flavoured matcha like Red Leaf Tea sells – but straight matcha is a definite “no go”. I recently survived my first Pu’erh, and it was an alright, maybe borderline enjoyable, experience.

The ratio of cold brewed and hot tea I drink is about 50/50. As far as my cup sizes go, all my daily cold brews are done in a 25 oz. mason jar and my other mugs are 12 oz. with the exception of my Adeline infuser mug which is 16 oz. Unless otherwise specified, these are the cup sizes for all teas I review.

I prefer to drink my tea without adding anything to it, and 9/10 times that will be how I first try a blend. My belief is that milk, sugar or whatever else you add to your tea should be used to enhance an already good flavour: if the tea needs something added to it to taste good then it’s probably not good tea to begin with. The exception is Matcha; I always have my matcha whisked either into cold milk or club soda as “Matcha soda” depending on which way the flavour will be best suited. My roommate, Tre, has a very different philosophy in regard to tea, and that’s to always drown out his cup in sugar – even before tasting to see if it needs any. That’s why I don’t let him drink the good stuff ;)

The other important person in my life is my friend Robyn.

Some brief “IRL” interests: Clay/Sculpture (or visual arts in general), Improv, Mythology, Big Brother (USA and CA), and an absurdly large amount of TV shows – geeky or otherwise.

Saskatoon, SK, Canada