My first Cornelia Bean experience!

Dexter3657 (I really hope I’m getting those numbers in the right order) was very thoughtful when sending her package to me, and went through my wishlist – sending teas I had on there and teas that were similar to what I had on there, like this one which is pretty similar to the Dragonfruit blend from Cuppa’T that I have included there.

Since the Cuppa’T blend is on the list as something I enjoyed thoroughly/wish to acquire again for cold brewing, that’s how I decided to prepare this one! In total this steeped overnight and briefly this morning for somewhere around 15 hours. Now that it’s strained and I’m drinking it, I think it’s absolutely delicious!

Mostly, I just taste the dragonfruit and it reminds me of pink dragonfruit vitamin water in the same way that Cuppa’T Specialty Teas’ Dragon Fruit Cranberry blend did. Which is a good thing. A really good thing. However, if I really pick this apart I can separate some of the flavours and in doing so am able to notice the dragon fruit, kiwi, chokeberries, cranberries, and to some extent the pineapple individually. However, I think I would much rather prefer to not focus on that and instead experience the tea all together as a whole.

Overall, I think I like Cuppa’T’s take better – but only slightly. I would be more than content to have either that blend or this blend stocked in quantity! Mmm! So thank you a bundle Dexter3657 for the incredibly thoughtful add in! This was a fantastic first introduction to Cornelia Bean, and I’m very excited to have enough of this left for a second cold brew. Mmm!

Iced 8 min or more 3 tsp 25 OZ / 739 ML
Helena

hehe I’ve never stopped in the Cornelia Bean but I guess I’ll have to go try some of their blends. It’s a bit of walk from home though so I’ll go when the snow leaves. Or the temperature around here goes up to +1C or 0C

VariaTEA

I was sooo close to getting this in my most recent order and didn’t :(. Now I wish I had. By the way, if you want to try more of their teas, I have plenty to share!

Helena

Lol I have to drink my tea stash down a bit first. I still have some Butiki Teas, Teavivre and my monthly Verdant Tea bundle before I can order anything else.

Roswell Strange

Went through and added some things to my wishlist; but if you do decide to send me some of their blends just send whatever you dislike/think I’d like: you know my tastes pretty well by now ;)

VariaTEA

That is true. I will send something off soon enough. I keep trying to remember everything I plan on sending you but I always forget. I should make a list.

Dexter

Awesome, yes I included it because of a similar one on your wish list. I really need to pick up more of this for the summer, but as Helena said will wait for it to warm up a bit first.

Helena

-25C today.. are you sure spring is even coming? it’s like the white rabbit always late!

Dexter

I know Helena, it was crazy cold for the end of March. Walked about a block to the post office today, wasn’t fun. I am sure though that spring will come even if it is late. If you haven’t been to Cornelia Bean then I’d recommend that you pop in and check it out. Fun little store. The clerks aren’t as knowledgeable as I would like, but it nice. My problem is that Bernard Callebaut is two doors down. End up binging on tea AND chocolate. :))

Comments

Helena

Roswell Strange

Dexter

Growing up, the only tea I ever drank was bagged mint tea (especially peppermint), and mint still remains a staple flavour for me. Spearmint is my favourite. At this point in my ‘tea career’ I heavily lean towards flavoured blends; doesn’t matter if they’re fruity, chocolate, sweet, savory, etc. Blacks are my favourite as far as flavoured blends go, with whites a close second. I really enjoy everything but straight Greens though, but I’ll try anything once even if I am wary.

My favourite fruit flavours in blends are cranberry, banana, pear, lychee, melon, passion fruit and especially pineapple. I am also always excited to try anything with Saskatoon Berries, which are delicious and also my city’s namesake. I have a huge weakness towards toffee/caramel and coconut teas and a bit of a soft spot in regard to black licorice. I also adore anything creamy. I am always up for trying soda inspired blends as well because the concept fascinates me. I want to try all the Rootbeer teas! I am also currently trying to try as many Sweet Potato blends as possible.

Tastes I strongly dislike are ginger and raisins. Really, those are the only two things I intentionally avoid. I also have mixed feelings about peaches, mangoes, lemongrass, and chamomile.

In regard to straight teas, I haven’t been nearly as adventurous. I’ve yet to really explore any straight oolongs, except Milk Oolongs which weren’t really for me. In general, I really like straight black teas, especially when they have strong baked bread or malt notes. I like most straight whites, but I have a preference for silver needle teas over other types. Green teas, with the exception of Genmaicha and some Hojicha, make me feel a bit sick and I often can’t finish the cup. I can handle flavoured matcha like Red Leaf Tea sells – but straight matcha is a definite “no go”. I recently survived my first Pu’erh, and it was an alright, maybe borderline enjoyable, experience.

The ratio of cold brewed and hot tea I drink is about 50/50. As far as my cup sizes go, all my daily cold brews are done in a 25 oz. mason jar and my other mugs are 12 oz. with the exception of my Adeline infuser mug which is 16 oz. Unless otherwise specified, these are the cup sizes for all teas I review.

I prefer to drink my tea without adding anything to it, and 9/10 times that will be how I first try a blend. My belief is that milk, sugar or whatever else you add to your tea should be used to enhance an already good flavour: if the tea needs something added to it to taste good then it’s probably not good tea to begin with. The exception is Matcha; I always have my matcha whisked either into cold milk or club soda as “Matcha soda” depending on which way the flavour will be best suited. My roommate, Tre, has a very different philosophy in regard to tea, and that’s to always drown out his cup in sugar – even before tasting to see if it needs any. That’s why I don’t let him drink the good stuff ;)

The other important person in my life is my friend Robyn.

Some brief “IRL” interests: Clay/Sculpture (or visual arts in general), Improv, Mythology, Big Brother (USA and CA), and an absurdly large amount of TV shows – geeky or otherwise.

Saskatoon, SK, Canada