drank Honeydew Mate by DAVIDsTEA
2067 tasting notes

Sipdown (190/194)!

Cold Brewed this baby and then took ’er to work today. I ended up doing some extensive labour work for a few hours during my shift (transporting freight across the warehouse, moving the metal shelving units around, etc.) so I was pretty exhausted and definitely in need of something cold to drink up.

There was something really off about this one though, and it took me a really long time to be able to place what. In addition to the typical melon bubblegummyness of it there was a very strong and powerful taste of cinnamon. I clean my thermos out thoroughly every night and neither the last tea in the thermos or in my mason jar were cinnamon teas so the contamination issue must have come from somewhere else.

It was really frustrating: this is not the final note I wanted to finish the tea on and not what I was looking forward to either: this is a discontinued blend and I might not get a chance to have it again – I was saving the final cold brew for a perfectly “Spring” day, and that’s exactly what today was. Argh!

Work in general was frustrating though: I feel like The Witch only assigns the hard labour tasks to me – I’ve never seen any other employee have to do as much hard labor as I do with the possible exception of our Assistant Manager Val. On top of that, she fired 10 more people and cut everyone’s hours but hers/Val’s (their hours actually increased). It kills me every time I have to say goodbye to more friends and coworkers – this time especially since our previous manager had promised the cuts were done.

On top of that one of the people cut was a fellow keyholder named Hazel: we trained together and are very close. I’m going to miss her a lot and I know she’s going to be devastated: she was relying on this job so much to support herself after immigrating and divorcing her husband.

Fuck.

VariaTEA

That sucks about the cuts. I am really sorry that keeps happening :(

Comments

VariaTEA

That sucks about the cuts. I am really sorry that keeps happening :(

Growing up, the only tea I ever drank was bagged mint tea (especially peppermint), and mint still remains a staple flavour for me. Spearmint is my favourite. At this point in my ‘tea career’ I heavily lean towards flavoured blends; doesn’t matter if they’re fruity, chocolate, sweet, savory, etc. Blacks are my favourite as far as flavoured blends go, with whites a close second. I really enjoy everything but straight Greens though, but I’ll try anything once even if I am wary.

My favourite fruit flavours in blends are cranberry, banana, pear, lychee, melon, passion fruit and especially pineapple. I am also always excited to try anything with Saskatoon Berries, which are delicious and also my city’s namesake. I have a huge weakness towards toffee/caramel and coconut teas and a bit of a soft spot in regard to black licorice. I also adore anything creamy. I am always up for trying soda inspired blends as well because the concept fascinates me. I want to try all the Rootbeer teas! I am also currently trying to try as many Sweet Potato blends as possible.

Tastes I strongly dislike are ginger and raisins. Really, those are the only two things I intentionally avoid. I also have mixed feelings about peaches, mangoes, lemongrass, and chamomile.

In regard to straight teas, I haven’t been nearly as adventurous. I’ve yet to really explore any straight oolongs, except Milk Oolongs which weren’t really for me. In general, I really like straight black teas, especially when they have strong baked bread or malt notes. I like most straight whites, but I have a preference for silver needle teas over other types. Green teas, with the exception of Genmaicha and some Hojicha, make me feel a bit sick and I often can’t finish the cup. I can handle flavoured matcha like Red Leaf Tea sells – but straight matcha is a definite “no go”. I recently survived my first Pu’erh, and it was an alright, maybe borderline enjoyable, experience.

The ratio of cold brewed and hot tea I drink is about 50/50. As far as my cup sizes go, all my daily cold brews are done in a 25 oz. mason jar and my other mugs are 12 oz. with the exception of my Adeline infuser mug which is 16 oz. Unless otherwise specified, these are the cup sizes for all teas I review.

I prefer to drink my tea without adding anything to it, and 9/10 times that will be how I first try a blend. My belief is that milk, sugar or whatever else you add to your tea should be used to enhance an already good flavour: if the tea needs something added to it to taste good then it’s probably not good tea to begin with. The exception is Matcha; I always have my matcha whisked either into cold milk or club soda as “Matcha soda” depending on which way the flavour will be best suited. My roommate, Tre, has a very different philosophy in regard to tea, and that’s to always drown out his cup in sugar – even before tasting to see if it needs any. That’s why I don’t let him drink the good stuff ;)

The other important person in my life is my friend Robyn.

Some brief “IRL” interests: Clay/Sculpture (or visual arts in general), Improv, Mythology, Big Brother (USA and CA), and an absurdly large amount of TV shows – geeky or otherwise.

Saskatoon, SK, Canada