Sipdown (182/186)!

Long, lost forgotten sample from the super kind Lala back from early/mid January when we met up for tea together. I probably only forgot about this because it’s a green blend. Recently rediscovered/remembered it, however, and so I saved the sample and stuck it in the sipdown drawer.

I debated going hot or cold but ultimately cold won out because I knew that would use it up all at once. Maybe cold was the wrong direction though because this cold brew is pretty foul. Maybe it’s the hops or maybe it’s just the green base in general but this tastes like some kind of slimy seaweed coated fruit. I feel like it should be vibrant green and gooey…

However I drank the whole dang 20 oz. of it! I had a very long (10 hours), stressful shift and I wasn’t allowed to leave the store for all of it (for several reasons, but the main one being I was the only member from the management team present so I couldn’t abandon my sole cashier for the day – if she got stuck or needed cash/to void something there would be no one there to do it) so I made due with what I had available to me – even if it was just slimy, seaweed fruit tea.

Sorry Lala – but I just don’t appreciate this blend (even though I more than appreciate your generosity). Happiness is not Hoppiness.

Caleb Brown

Roswell, I’m super happy you were adventurous enough to try this brew…and drink all of it! That being said, I’m very sad to hear you didn’t enjoy it. I think this tea was a polarizing blend in general however, I think part of your negative experience had to do with the age of the tea. There were fresh hops in Happiness is Hoppiness which were only good for about 4 months. This blend is from April 2013. I do think I should have been more clear about that on the packaging in retrospect. Again, super sad you didn’t enjoy it but I absolutely understand. If you have any questions at all feel free to contact me here: [email protected]

VariaTEA

At least the name is fun :P

Roswell Strange

@Caleb Brown – more than likely it was just the green tea in general: I’m not usually a fan. However this was still definitely worth trying and I’m glad I did :)

Lala

Sorry you didn’t like it. But that is ok, you can’t like every tea that is out there :)

Comments

Caleb Brown

VariaTEA

At least the name is fun :P

Roswell Strange

Lala

Growing up, the only tea I ever drank was bagged mint tea (especially peppermint), and mint still remains a staple flavour for me. Spearmint is my favourite. At this point in my ‘tea career’ I heavily lean towards flavoured blends; doesn’t matter if they’re fruity, chocolate, sweet, savory, etc. Blacks are my favourite as far as flavoured blends go, with whites a close second. I really enjoy everything but straight Greens though, but I’ll try anything once even if I am wary.

My favourite fruit flavours in blends are cranberry, banana, pear, lychee, melon, passion fruit and especially pineapple. I am also always excited to try anything with Saskatoon Berries, which are delicious and also my city’s namesake. I have a huge weakness towards toffee/caramel and coconut teas and a bit of a soft spot in regard to black licorice. I also adore anything creamy. I am always up for trying soda inspired blends as well because the concept fascinates me. I want to try all the Rootbeer teas! I am also currently trying to try as many Sweet Potato blends as possible.

Tastes I strongly dislike are ginger and raisins. Really, those are the only two things I intentionally avoid. I also have mixed feelings about peaches, mangoes, lemongrass, and chamomile.

In regard to straight teas, I haven’t been nearly as adventurous. I’ve yet to really explore any straight oolongs, except Milk Oolongs which weren’t really for me. In general, I really like straight black teas, especially when they have strong baked bread or malt notes. I like most straight whites, but I have a preference for silver needle teas over other types. Green teas, with the exception of Genmaicha and some Hojicha, make me feel a bit sick and I often can’t finish the cup. I can handle flavoured matcha like Red Leaf Tea sells – but straight matcha is a definite “no go”. I recently survived my first Pu’erh, and it was an alright, maybe borderline enjoyable, experience.

The ratio of cold brewed and hot tea I drink is about 50/50. As far as my cup sizes go, all my daily cold brews are done in a 25 oz. mason jar and my other mugs are 12 oz. with the exception of my Adeline infuser mug which is 16 oz. Unless otherwise specified, these are the cup sizes for all teas I review.

I prefer to drink my tea without adding anything to it, and 9/10 times that will be how I first try a blend. My belief is that milk, sugar or whatever else you add to your tea should be used to enhance an already good flavour: if the tea needs something added to it to taste good then it’s probably not good tea to begin with. The exception is Matcha; I always have my matcha whisked either into cold milk or club soda as “Matcha soda” depending on which way the flavour will be best suited. My roommate, Tre, has a very different philosophy in regard to tea, and that’s to always drown out his cup in sugar – even before tasting to see if it needs any. That’s why I don’t let him drink the good stuff ;)

The other important person in my life is my friend Robyn.

Some brief “IRL” interests: Clay/Sculpture (or visual arts in general), Improv, Mythology, Big Brother (USA and CA), and an absurdly large amount of TV shows – geeky or otherwise.

Saskatoon, SK, Canada