drank Bananas Foster by 52teas

Sipdown (187/192)!

EDIT: Sipdown (186/191)! I did a sweep through my cupboard looking for things to cold brew, and found another 52Teas blend I finished a ways back but never actually removed! Hooray for a slightly smaller cupboard!

Thanks VariaTEA for the sample! I think I’m still beating you in cupboard size, but only just. Gonna have to work on that tomorrow with my day off. I know I have a few easy sipdowns waiting for me.

I have to go in to work tomorrow on my day off because I was stupid and left my cell phone there. Urhg. I just wanted to lounge around the house and not do things; and now I have to go see my stupid manager who’ll probably be pissed the store was left so messy (but really it’s her fault for short handing me and giving me an inexperienced closer for the shift…). Bleck.

I brought this guy with to work today, but didn’t get to drink him until the bus ride home because it was so busy that I didn’t get to take any breaks during my seven and a half hour shift. Bleck. WE NEED MORE EMPLOYEES IN THE EVENING. Two people does not an efficient closing team make.

But the tea; it was kinda… Mediocre? Really there weren’t any overwhelming negative or positive flavors. A little bit of banana and maybe the faintest hint of rum or caramel? And as for the usually very powerful and astringent black base Frank uses: really well behaved and muted…

I feel like in the long run this will be one of those teas that just doesn’t make any kind of impression on me; and that’s ok – it makes me feel better about not buying it when I had the chance to.

Growing up, the only tea I ever drank was bagged mint tea (especially peppermint), and mint still remains a staple flavour for me. Spearmint is my favourite. At this point in my ‘tea career’ I heavily lean towards flavoured blends; doesn’t matter if they’re fruity, chocolate, sweet, savory, etc. Blacks are my favourite as far as flavoured blends go, with whites a close second. I really enjoy everything but straight Greens though, but I’ll try anything once even if I am wary.

My favourite fruit flavours in blends are cranberry, banana, pear, lychee, melon, passion fruit and especially pineapple. I am also always excited to try anything with Saskatoon Berries, which are delicious and also my city’s namesake. I have a huge weakness towards toffee/caramel and coconut teas and a bit of a soft spot in regard to black licorice. I also adore anything creamy. I am always up for trying soda inspired blends as well because the concept fascinates me. I want to try all the Rootbeer teas! I am also currently trying to try as many Sweet Potato blends as possible.

Tastes I strongly dislike are ginger and raisins. Really, those are the only two things I intentionally avoid. I also have mixed feelings about peaches, mangoes, lemongrass, and chamomile.

In regard to straight teas, I haven’t been nearly as adventurous. I’ve yet to really explore any straight oolongs, except Milk Oolongs which weren’t really for me. In general, I really like straight black teas, especially when they have strong baked bread or malt notes. I like most straight whites, but I have a preference for silver needle teas over other types. Green teas, with the exception of Genmaicha and some Hojicha, make me feel a bit sick and I often can’t finish the cup. I can handle flavoured matcha like Red Leaf Tea sells – but straight matcha is a definite “no go”. I recently survived my first Pu’erh, and it was an alright, maybe borderline enjoyable, experience.

The ratio of cold brewed and hot tea I drink is about 50/50. As far as my cup sizes go, all my daily cold brews are done in a 25 oz. mason jar and my other mugs are 12 oz. with the exception of my Adeline infuser mug which is 16 oz. Unless otherwise specified, these are the cup sizes for all teas I review.

I prefer to drink my tea without adding anything to it, and 9/10 times that will be how I first try a blend. My belief is that milk, sugar or whatever else you add to your tea should be used to enhance an already good flavour: if the tea needs something added to it to taste good then it’s probably not good tea to begin with. The exception is Matcha; I always have my matcha whisked either into cold milk or club soda as “Matcha soda” depending on which way the flavour will be best suited. My roommate, Tre, has a very different philosophy in regard to tea, and that’s to always drown out his cup in sugar – even before tasting to see if it needs any. That’s why I don’t let him drink the good stuff ;)

The other important person in my life is my friend Robyn.

Some brief “IRL” interests: Clay/Sculpture (or visual arts in general), Improv, Mythology, Big Brother (USA and CA), and an absurdly large amount of TV shows – geeky or otherwise.

Saskatoon, SK, Canada