Cold Brewed this lovely baby, and having it first thing this “morning” (it’s technically afternoon, but I just got up…). Cold Brew time is right around the fifteen hour mark, I do believe.

At first, I thought I really, really enjoyed this and I was doing mental tallies of “well, if I sipdown Sweet Strawberry I can put this in the same DT tin and fill it up, but not take up more closet space – or what about if I just get 50g of it in the baggie? That wont use up a lot of room, but is it enough to keep cold brewing it?”. Basically I was willing to invest some time and cupboard space for this one.

But, about halfway into my mason jar I started getting a really not so yummy taste on my mouth: almost soapy. All the originally fun, tropical but not citrus flavours were building up and getting way too intense! Maybe 25 oz. of this one is just too much. Regardless, it has me rethinking whether or not I want to pick up a large amount of this. I mean, I’ve still yet to have it hot and I’d like to; so perhaps that will end up being the deciding factor.

Anyway; I want to try and describe the flavours from before it got gross! I’ve never had a jackfruit, and the last time I had a Starfruit was probably years ago – so basically I’d describe this as a jumble of mango, pear, papaya, banana, and apple? Anyway: very fruity and exotic, but still in a somewhat comforting “familiar” way. Even if you don’t know the flavours of starfruit or jackfruit you can associate them with other flavours you do know.

VariaTEA

I totally know what you are talking about with the soapy taste. I think it is the white base that shows up as the fruity flavors subside.

Comments

VariaTEA

Growing up, the only tea I ever drank was bagged mint tea (especially peppermint), and mint still remains a staple flavour for me. Spearmint is my favourite. At this point in my ‘tea career’ I heavily lean towards flavoured blends; doesn’t matter if they’re fruity, chocolate, sweet, savory, etc. Blacks are my favourite as far as flavoured blends go, with whites a close second. I really enjoy everything but straight Greens though, but I’ll try anything once even if I am wary.

My favourite fruit flavours in blends are cranberry, banana, pear, lychee, melon, passion fruit and especially pineapple. I am also always excited to try anything with Saskatoon Berries, which are delicious and also my city’s namesake. I have a huge weakness towards toffee/caramel and coconut teas and a bit of a soft spot in regard to black licorice. I also adore anything creamy. I am always up for trying soda inspired blends as well because the concept fascinates me. I want to try all the Rootbeer teas! I am also currently trying to try as many Sweet Potato blends as possible.

Tastes I strongly dislike are ginger and raisins. Really, those are the only two things I intentionally avoid. I also have mixed feelings about peaches, mangoes, lemongrass, and chamomile.

In regard to straight teas, I haven’t been nearly as adventurous. I’ve yet to really explore any straight oolongs, except Milk Oolongs which weren’t really for me. In general, I really like straight black teas, especially when they have strong baked bread or malt notes. I like most straight whites, but I have a preference for silver needle teas over other types. Green teas, with the exception of Genmaicha and some Hojicha, make me feel a bit sick and I often can’t finish the cup. I can handle flavoured matcha like Red Leaf Tea sells – but straight matcha is a definite “no go”. I recently survived my first Pu’erh, and it was an alright, maybe borderline enjoyable, experience.

The ratio of cold brewed and hot tea I drink is about 50/50. As far as my cup sizes go, all my daily cold brews are done in a 25 oz. mason jar and my other mugs are 12 oz. with the exception of my Adeline infuser mug which is 16 oz. Unless otherwise specified, these are the cup sizes for all teas I review.

I prefer to drink my tea without adding anything to it, and 9/10 times that will be how I first try a blend. My belief is that milk, sugar or whatever else you add to your tea should be used to enhance an already good flavour: if the tea needs something added to it to taste good then it’s probably not good tea to begin with. The exception is Matcha; I always have my matcha whisked either into cold milk or club soda as “Matcha soda” depending on which way the flavour will be best suited. My roommate, Tre, has a very different philosophy in regard to tea, and that’s to always drown out his cup in sugar – even before tasting to see if it needs any. That’s why I don’t let him drink the good stuff ;)

The other important person in my life is my friend Robyn.

Some brief “IRL” interests: Clay/Sculpture (or visual arts in general), Improv, Mythology, Big Brother (USA and CA), and an absurdly large amount of TV shows – geeky or otherwise.

Saskatoon, SK, Canada