Sample from I’m pretty sure VariaTEA – but I have a hunch she may have first acquired it from MissB? I guess it doesn’t matter; I’ll just thank ’em both.

Thank you both.

I’ve been sitting on this sample for a while; figuratively, not literally – and I thought now was a decent enough time to break it open. So I cold brewed it for my date, and I drank it while I walked to the restaurant to meet him. I thought it was actually surprisingly good! The rooibos was almost unnoticeable and the mango was juicy in the same way I find the mango flavour in 52Teas’ Cucumber Mango Shou Mei to be.

The reason I put it off so long was definitely because of the mango; I’m kinda picky about that flavour – but I guess I didn’t need to fear! I only have a little left, so it’ll be prepared hot next time around . Which will probably be today; this note is backlogged from Tuesday.

VariaTEA

It was from me and it did originate from MissB so goof job remembering. In other news, I picked up teas from Sil and she gave me some stuff for you which means I will be packaging another envelope for you soon enough.

Roswell Strange

Oh, but I just got tea from Sil… You’re all crazy :P

Haha I don’t know.

Suziqzer

Love it! You ladies and your tea swapping crazyiness!

Comments

VariaTEA

Roswell Strange

Oh, but I just got tea from Sil… You’re all crazy :P

Haha I don’t know.

Suziqzer

Love it! You ladies and your tea swapping crazyiness!

Growing up, the only tea I ever drank was bagged mint tea (especially peppermint), and mint still remains a staple flavour for me. Spearmint is my favourite. At this point in my ‘tea career’ I heavily lean towards flavoured blends; doesn’t matter if they’re fruity, chocolate, sweet, savory, etc. Blacks are my favourite as far as flavoured blends go, with whites a close second. I really enjoy everything but straight Greens though, but I’ll try anything once even if I am wary.

My favourite fruit flavours in blends are cranberry, banana, pear, lychee, melon, passion fruit and especially pineapple. I am also always excited to try anything with Saskatoon Berries, which are delicious and also my city’s namesake. I have a huge weakness towards toffee/caramel and coconut teas and a bit of a soft spot in regard to black licorice. I also adore anything creamy. I am always up for trying soda inspired blends as well because the concept fascinates me. I want to try all the Rootbeer teas! I am also currently trying to try as many Sweet Potato blends as possible.

Tastes I strongly dislike are ginger and raisins. Really, those are the only two things I intentionally avoid. I also have mixed feelings about peaches, mangoes, lemongrass, and chamomile.

In regard to straight teas, I haven’t been nearly as adventurous. I’ve yet to really explore any straight oolongs, except Milk Oolongs which weren’t really for me. In general, I really like straight black teas, especially when they have strong baked bread or malt notes. I like most straight whites, but I have a preference for silver needle teas over other types. Green teas, with the exception of Genmaicha and some Hojicha, make me feel a bit sick and I often can’t finish the cup. I can handle flavoured matcha like Red Leaf Tea sells – but straight matcha is a definite “no go”. I recently survived my first Pu’erh, and it was an alright, maybe borderline enjoyable, experience.

The ratio of cold brewed and hot tea I drink is about 50/50. As far as my cup sizes go, all my daily cold brews are done in a 25 oz. mason jar and my other mugs are 12 oz. with the exception of my Adeline infuser mug which is 16 oz. Unless otherwise specified, these are the cup sizes for all teas I review.

I prefer to drink my tea without adding anything to it, and 9/10 times that will be how I first try a blend. My belief is that milk, sugar or whatever else you add to your tea should be used to enhance an already good flavour: if the tea needs something added to it to taste good then it’s probably not good tea to begin with. The exception is Matcha; I always have my matcha whisked either into cold milk or club soda as “Matcha soda” depending on which way the flavour will be best suited. My roommate, Tre, has a very different philosophy in regard to tea, and that’s to always drown out his cup in sugar – even before tasting to see if it needs any. That’s why I don’t let him drink the good stuff ;)

The other important person in my life is my friend Robyn.

Some brief “IRL” interests: Clay/Sculpture (or visual arts in general), Improv, Mythology, Big Brother (USA and CA), and an absurdly large amount of TV shows – geeky or otherwise.

Saskatoon, SK, Canada