Sipdown (181/187)!

Again, thanks to Sil for this one! I finished off the sample by making it in my timolino and taking it to work. I think it traveled well in the timolino because the flavours were consistent with what I remember them being with my first cup here at home. It’s definitely good to know that if I do decided to order this one it’ll be something I can take to work with me when I’m in need of that all important caffeine boost.

The big difference I found was that I actually let part of this get cold and I thought it tasted better cold! Not nearly as much guayusa flavour which could be good for this who dislike the taste of guayusa – and I thought the lime stood out much more prominently. This makes me excited for the prospect of a cold brew with this one, which I had initially considered but ended up deciding against.

I should really update my profile description because I drink cold brewed tea about 50/50 with hot tea now. Welp.

But ultimately I have no idea whether this is something I want more of. It’s good but it’s not necessarily that good. I feel like I’ve discovered a lot of areas it has great intentional in though; cold brews, travelling. So I think it’s going to depend on the mood I’m in when I place my order and possibly where I need some extra stuff to reach the free shipping thresh hold? Bleck. Lots to think about and consider. I mean, I don’t really need more tea, so…

Flavors: Berries, Lime, Rainforest

Stephanie

I think guayusa blends travel very well especially iced! Have you tried Good Morning Sunshine? That is my other fave Guayusa! Super lemony and creamy :)

Courtney

Ooh, iced! Stephanie that is brilliant. I can’t wait to place a Butiki order and get some of this one for myself. Seriously awesome idea.

Roswell Strange

I’ve had Cider Guayusa and Good Morning Sunshine (prepared at home and as travel teas). Sometimes I think GMS travels well, othertimes not so much. I far prefer Cider Guayusa to either of these, and I think I prefer this to GMS.

Comments

Stephanie

Courtney

Roswell Strange

Growing up, the only tea I ever drank was bagged mint tea (especially peppermint), and mint still remains a staple flavour for me. Spearmint is my favourite. At this point in my ‘tea career’ I heavily lean towards flavoured blends; doesn’t matter if they’re fruity, chocolate, sweet, savory, etc. Blacks are my favourite as far as flavoured blends go, with whites a close second. I really enjoy everything but straight Greens though, but I’ll try anything once even if I am wary.

My favourite fruit flavours in blends are cranberry, banana, pear, lychee, melon, passion fruit and especially pineapple. I am also always excited to try anything with Saskatoon Berries, which are delicious and also my city’s namesake. I have a huge weakness towards toffee/caramel and coconut teas and a bit of a soft spot in regard to black licorice. I also adore anything creamy. I am always up for trying soda inspired blends as well because the concept fascinates me. I want to try all the Rootbeer teas! I am also currently trying to try as many Sweet Potato blends as possible.

Tastes I strongly dislike are ginger and raisins. Really, those are the only two things I intentionally avoid. I also have mixed feelings about peaches, mangoes, lemongrass, and chamomile.

In regard to straight teas, I haven’t been nearly as adventurous. I’ve yet to really explore any straight oolongs, except Milk Oolongs which weren’t really for me. In general, I really like straight black teas, especially when they have strong baked bread or malt notes. I like most straight whites, but I have a preference for silver needle teas over other types. Green teas, with the exception of Genmaicha and some Hojicha, make me feel a bit sick and I often can’t finish the cup. I can handle flavoured matcha like Red Leaf Tea sells – but straight matcha is a definite “no go”. I recently survived my first Pu’erh, and it was an alright, maybe borderline enjoyable, experience.

The ratio of cold brewed and hot tea I drink is about 50/50. As far as my cup sizes go, all my daily cold brews are done in a 25 oz. mason jar and my other mugs are 12 oz. with the exception of my Adeline infuser mug which is 16 oz. Unless otherwise specified, these are the cup sizes for all teas I review.

I prefer to drink my tea without adding anything to it, and 9/10 times that will be how I first try a blend. My belief is that milk, sugar or whatever else you add to your tea should be used to enhance an already good flavour: if the tea needs something added to it to taste good then it’s probably not good tea to begin with. The exception is Matcha; I always have my matcha whisked either into cold milk or club soda as “Matcha soda” depending on which way the flavour will be best suited. My roommate, Tre, has a very different philosophy in regard to tea, and that’s to always drown out his cup in sugar – even before tasting to see if it needs any. That’s why I don’t let him drink the good stuff ;)

The other important person in my life is my friend Robyn.

Some brief “IRL” interests: Clay/Sculpture (or visual arts in general), Improv, Mythology, Big Brother (USA and CA), and an absurdly large amount of TV shows – geeky or otherwise.

Saskatoon, SK, Canada